News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

So to recap how I’m understanding it, the filing currently out there asks for an injunction which reverses the bill which changed the board. If the judge rules in favor of Disney and that injunction goes into effect the board is reverted back to RCID. I said temporary since it’s possible an appeals court reverses that reversal. If Disney also wins on appeal or the case is never appealed then the injunction is permanent and the RCID board is reinstated. The Supreme Court would be the final appeal if the Federal appeals court rules so just 2 levels of appeal and no guarantee the Supreme Court takes the case.

As far as I know Disney hasn’t asked for a temporary or emergency injunction (one that goes into effect immediately before the case is final). I assume that has to be done as a separate filing or motion to the judge and would be based on some direct action by the board that could cause irreparable harm.
Correct. The injunctions mentioned in the suit are permanent injunctions. The laws could stay on the books and just be unenforceable. We saw this recently with abortion where some old state laws once again became enforceable with the overturning of Roe v. Wade.

No temporary or emergency injunctions have been sought at this time. As of right now I’m not sure we would see Disney seek one. The Board doesn’t have an alternate Comprehensive Plan so they can’t really move forward on something like really starting a housing development somewhere. The quickest change they could probably make is increasing the scope of planning review to put more projects before the Board for consideration.

lazyboy97o

That is not correct. They are in power in the sense that they are the new board. However, Disney has the agreement which limits what the new board can do. Those are the facts of what is presently in place. What that means is the new board cannot actually do anything contrary to the agreement, unless and until some sort of temporary injunctive relief is issued in their favor. Of course, the same thing can be said about any efforts by Disney to act in accordance with the agreement but contrary to the new board's wishes. The bottom line is, at this very moment, the board cannot do anything that you are fearful of.
There are ways the board absolutely can intercede with Disney without violating the development agreement and restrictive covenants.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you grossly underestimate how many people across the US agree with Florida's political path on issues with gender, education, gun laws, etc. Just because one side yells louder doesn't mean there are more of them.

As a independent myself, I do find it all disheartening how fractured our country has become, which I blame social media/media for and irresponsible political figures.

Martin Tv Show GIF by Martin
The problem is underestimation of the affect of young voting FINALLY becoming fashionable and the completely stupid draconian attempts to respond.

I’m not arguing particulars on people or places…I’m just saying that’s what political scientists have been obsessed with since Vietnam. It was and in many way still is the “sleeping giant”…and it’s been foolishly poked the last 3 cycles.

But I won’t argue it and waste people’s time…let’s watch and see

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
As a independent myself, I do find it all disheartening how fractured our country has become, which I blame social media/media for and irresponsible political figures.
Hello fellow independent.

I guess it's because I spent half of my life outside watching the US from the outside, but I've never considered the US to not be fractured. It's only in recent that those fractures became visible to the population who mostly ignored them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hello fellow independent.

I guess it's because I spent half of my life outside watching the US from the outside, but I've never considered the US to not be fractured. It's only in recent that those fractures became visible to the population who mostly ignored them.
That was because we lost our “glue” in the world war 2 generation and the ties the bound the country together…

They kept everything “civil”…and that doesn’t mean all positive either. A lot of awful things were maintained that have caused strife since.

But…that is the difference. Boomers are dropping the ball late in the game and I can personally vouch that Xers just are NEVER gonna step up.

God save the Queen

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with everything you said, but I’m not sure that statements made by a politician on the campaign trail are going to hold that much water in proving intent.

Let’s say RCID was going to be dismantled anyway (I know that it wasn’t, but just as a hypothetical) and that it was already set to be voted on before the Parental Rights Bill stuff.

DeSantis would still be out there touting the same lines, because it would help him politically.
I think this is the one time when campaign speech is actually pretty relevant. The case revolves around intent and so it’s difficult to argue a different intent while publicly stating the opposite in detail. He didn’t just say in campaign rallies or as a buzz phrase “taking down woke corporations”, that is general political speech which could be discounted. DeSantis called out Disney specifically and then detailed his approach and the specific actions and punishment he was going to impose in retaliation for Disney’s speech. That goes beyond just political talk, and he followed through too. Often political speech is discounted if it’s a threat vs an action taken.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I am serious, right now, the DeSantis district is in power. I hope the DeSantis district doesn't make too much trouble for the day to day operation of WDW as this drags along in the courts for years.

There are obvious ways they could.

I’m still not convinced anything would actually change even if DeSantis and the board win.

A few more fees, a few more hoops to jump through, ultimately Florida needs Disney to succeed though so they aren’t going to make drastic changes that will hurt the golden goose.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It is a smaller contingent by the day (at least on the gender/education front) and just like similar cycles in the past where an older, conservative group became fearful of societal trends there is a push to evade, delay or minimize those changes and it fails every time. Eventually, what was feared becomes the norm and most people realize it was no big deal.

It happened with the women's movement, it happened with civil rights, then marriage equality and it has moved on to the "scary" trans people but the story is the same every time. Go back and read the various speeches and laws written in the past to try and curb social progress and they all sound similar. It is nearly always the same arguments and each time history has proven them to be wrong.

Attachments

• 1683042709988.jpeg
    1683042709988.jpeg
    5.5 KB · Views: 46

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom