News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Disney Glimpses

Disney is being retaliated against, by the state government of Florida, for protected free speech/redress of grievances. This is a constitutional issue.
You are correct that this is unconstitutional. The problem is political retaliation against a politician or government power is not unconstitutional. And this is technically legislation against Reedy Creek, not TWDC. This is a good read about this nuance:

PizzaPlanet

Everything will be on the table ranging from less CMs at the registers to cancelling major projects.
But Universal does just fine with expansions and I would say their staffing is comparable to WDW. Same with DL in California. How would this be different from their situation?

Disney Glimpses

The next legislative session is not until March, leaving three months to get a behind the scenes deal in place. The only way to fight is in court.
Based on the interviews with DeSantis, it seems like they just want Disney to pay more in taxes and remove their ability to build a nuclear power plant. I don't think anyone (Republican or Democrat) wants to see the District actually dissolve.

peter11435

I'm looking for some clarification on things wrt real estate taxes.

Disney is paying taxes to both orange and Osceola counties, depending on what property we're talking about, right? They also pay an extra tax to the RCID correct?

I've read that those taxes typically cover schools (none on Disney property), safety (rcid has its own FD and Disney pays for county police?), Streets (again RCID?), Sanitation (Disney run?), Spaces (everything is Disney parks and hotels etc), services (I don't think there is anything here beyond what Disney provides).

If that's the case, are the counties just taking those taxes and using them on streets, schools, sanitation, parks, public spaces, police etc for everyone outside of RCID?
Basically yes. Disney actually pays a separate tax directly to the respective county school district and another to the state school system. The taxes they pay to the counties largely goes towards funding services they don’t use.

Brian

You can also read the meeting minutes after the fact. Like this exciting meeting.

Bored Season 4 GIF by Parks and Recreation

lazyboy97o

Based on the interviews with DeSantis, it seems like they just want Disney to pay more in taxes and remove their ability to build a nuclear power plant. I don't think anyone (Republican or Democrat) wants to see the District actually dissolve.
Disney already pays taxes. Trying to get them to pay more taxes for political speech is still illegal retaliation and u equal treatment.

Who has said anything about nuclear power? Why does that matter?

peter11435

You are correct that this is unconstitutional. The problem is political retaliation against a politician or government power is not unconstitutional. And this is technically legislation against Reedy Creek, not TWDC. This is a good read about this nuance:

Correct. Although the actual act of passing the law was done with intent to harm Disney. It doesn’t really matter how the law does that, they openly stated they were passing the law to harm Disney as a result of them executing a protected act.

Disney Glimpses

What is so controversial about the law? I live in Florida and I have read it. This law has ABSOLULY nothing to do with LGBT community. It has been totally misrepresented period. I stand behind the bill 100% and all of my friends and gay family members do. Disney should have stayed out of a dually elected law that is very popular with wide bipartisan support. Disney has every right to voice their opinion and disagree with this law but they went a step farther to say they were going to try and overturn it. It didn't set well with a lot of Floridians.
Honestly, we don't need to discuss the bill anymore and it's really not going to be a productive conversation for this fan base. The being said, much of the issue isn't around Disney opposing the bill. DeSantis and co. were set off when they essentially committed to using revenue dollars to overturn said legislation (revenue that is supplemented with tax exemptions by the state).

Disney Glimpses

Disney already pays taxes. Trying to get them to pay more taxes for political speech is still illegal retaliation and u equal treatment.

Who has said anything about nuclear power? Why does that matter?
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm saying that is what they want, not that it is reasonable. The nuclear power plant stuff has come up a ton. It's a talking point that they can built a nuclear power plant. DeSantis brought it up again last night on Tucker.

Epcot-Rules

Honestly, we don't need to discuss the bill anymore and it's really not going to be a productive conversation for this fan base. The being said, much of the issue isn't around Disney opposing the bill. DeSantis and co. were set off when they essentially committed to using revenue dollars to overturn said legislation (revenue that is supplemented with tax exemptions by the state).
You are correct. I should not have brought it up but I do live here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm looking for some clarification on things wrt real estate taxes.

Disney is paying taxes to both orange and Osceola counties, depending on what property we're talking about, right? They also pay an extra tax to the RCID correct?

I've read that those taxes typically cover schools (none on Disney property), safety (rcid has its own FD and Disney pays for county police?), Streets (again RCID?), Sanitation (Disney run?), Spaces (everything is Disney parks and hotels etc), services (I don't think there is anything here beyond what Disney provides).

If that's the case, are the counties just taking those taxes and using them on streets, schools, sanitation, parks, public spaces, police etc for everyone outside of RCID?
I believe the assessments are proportionate to services utilized.
I believe that’s how it works. So Disney pays local taxes to the counties and also pays local taxes to RCID. Because the taxes to RCID pay for a specific set of services not covered by the county the tax rate to the county is lower. The tax rate itself is built up as components of cost. So you have a budget for costs and each category has a rate that when added up becomes your total tax rate. A simplified example:
  1. Roads $10
  2. Emergency Response $20
  3. Utilities $10
  4. Schools $40
  5. General government costs $20
So total tax of $100. Since Disney doesn’t receive services for 1 through 3 from the county they are paying $60 for 4 and 5 instead of the full $100. This is obviously an over simplified example.

If RCID gets dissolved Disney would receive all the services for 1-3 from the county which would obviously raise the total cost for those categories for the county but Disney becomes just another taxpayer so the rate goes up across the board. So once the numbers are crunched it’s possible Disney pays more, pays less or pays about the same in taxes. It’s certain that every other taxpayer in Orange County pays more. That’s the guaranteed outcome but again, the people sponsoring this aren’t from Orange County and don’t care one bit about the people there. Remember the mayor of Orange County had a very public dispute with the governor over masks. Good way to get back at him.

lazyboy97o

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I'm saying that is what they want, not that it is reasonable. The nuclear power plant stuff has come up a ton. It's a talking point that they can built a nuclear power plant. DeSantis brought it up again last night on Tucker.
I didn’t realize he had been talking about it. I’m guessing that means the governor is also unaware that excluding some minor shares all of the nuclear power plants in Florida are privately owned. It’s bizarre how people are excited that the governor is going around saying how unfamiliar he is with the state. Politicians are declaring they don’t know what they are doing and it’s making them popular.

Serpico Jones

That’s wonderful advice. Dont agree with something, keep your mouth shut. Just take it. So glad most disagree with that. Wow.
Bob Chapek is not an elected official, he’s the CEO of a media conglomerate. Disagreeing with the bill is one thing but threatening to use the conglomerate’s power to stop the bill crosses a line. His statement was too forceful and frankly ridiculous.

chrisvee

why should Disney pay more in taxes?

why can’t Reedy Creek build a nuclear power plant? they own and operate utilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom