News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JAB

Got bored and did the math.

If appealed, it goes to 11th District, which leans conservative by a large margin. However, the liberal judges and pre-Trump era judges are a majority, so they have a good chance of winning there as well or having it remanded.
And outside of FL, "conservative" doesn't necessarily mean pro-DeSantis, a lot of them might favor "laissez-faire," and that would favor Disney's case.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
And outside of FL, "conservative" doesn't necessarily mean pro-DeSantis, a lot of them might favor "laissez-faire," and that would favor Disney's case.
No, but the 11th district has a deep red conservative population, which seemingly adore the Trump/DeSantis doctrines. The judges are parts of that population.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From the Sears case (wish I could figure out how to link a PDF file)

"Sears, Roebuck has a lease with Forbes/Cohen for a store within the Gardens Mall. It attempted to sublease part of its store to Dick’s Sporting Goods. However, the landlord disapproved of the sublease and collaborated with the City of Palm Beach Gardens, unbeknownst to Sears, to enact a resolution to now require both the landlord and the City to agree to any subdivision of space within the Gardens Mall. The issues presented in this case are whether the City’s resolution unconstitutionally impairs Sears’s contract rights and whether that resolution violates substantive due process because it has no criteria stating when approval to subdivide Sears’s leased space may be granted or denied. As a related issue, we consider whether Sears is owed attorney’s fees as a result of the City’s alleged violation of substantive due process. Finally, we consider whether Sears has a contractual right to sublease."

Sound familiar?

"We conclude the City’s resolution is unconstitutional both because it impairs Sears’s right to contract—and the contract rights emanating from the lease between Sears and Forbes/Cohen—and deprives Sears of its substantive due process rights. Consequently, we find Sears is a prevailing party under 42 U.S.C. sections 1983 and 1988 and is owed attorney’s fees. We further conclude that Sears has the contractual right to sublease without authorization from Forbes."

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
From the Sears case (wish I could figure out how to link a PDF file)

"Sears, Roebuck has a lease with Forbes/Cohen for a store within the Gardens Mall. It attempted to sublease part of its store to Dick’s Sporting Goods. However, the landlord disapproved of the sublease and collaborated with the City of Palm Beach Gardens, unbeknownst to Sears, to enact a resolution to now require both the landlord and the City to agree to any subdivision of space within the Gardens Mall. The issues presented in this case are whether the City’s resolution unconstitutionally impairs Sears’s contract rights and whether that resolution violates substantive due process because it has no criteria stating when approval to subdivide Sears’s leased space may be granted or denied. As a related issue, we consider whether Sears is owed attorney’s fees as a result of the City’s alleged violation of substantive due process. Finally, we consider whether Sears has a contractual right to sublease."

Sound familiar?

"We conclude the City’s resolution is unconstitutional both because it impairs Sears’s right to contract—and the contract rights emanating from the lease between Sears and Forbes/Cohen—and deprives Sears of its substantive due process rights. Consequently, we find Sears is a prevailing party under 42 U.S.C. sections 1983 and 1988 and is owed attorney’s fees. We further conclude that Sears has the contractual right to sublease without authorization from Forbes."
you should be able to upload it.

LAKid53

Premium Member
What would an injunction actually look like in this case?

Prohibit the voiding of the Development Agreement, I'd think for starters. And if SB 1604 passes the House as sent over by the Senate yesterday and signed into law by the governor, stay any acts of the state authorized in the now law.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Premium Member
I would think they’d ask for a freeze on all bond decisions, planning, zoning, and changes to pre-existing operation/service contracts as well?

Yes. But staying the nullification of the Agreement and impacts of SB 1604 would be primary.

The filing should/may detail what the request for an injunction includes. I haven't gotten that far in it yet.

drnilescrane

Yes. But staying the nullification of the Agreement and impacts of SB 1604 would be primary.

The filing should/may detail what the request for an injunction includes. I haven't gotten that far in it yet.

The filing is for "DECLARATORY AND INJUNCTIVE RELIEF" so presumably they are asking for the following immediately:

PRAYER FOR RELIEF
Plaintiff respectfully requests that this Court grant the following relief:

A. Declare that the Legislative Declaration is unlawful and unenforceable because it abrogates Disney’s rights in violation of the Contracts Clause;
B. Declare that the Legislative Declaration is an unlawful taking of Disney’s property rights without payment of just compensation in violation of the Takings Clause;
C. Declare that the Legislative Declaration is unlawful and unenforceable because it was an arbitrary and irrational voiding of the Development Agreement and Restrictive Covenants in violation of the Due Process Clause;
D. Declare that the Legislative Declaration is unlawful and unenforceable because it was enacted in retaliation for Disney’s speech in violation of the First Amendment;
E. Declare that the Contracts remain in effect and enforceable;
F. Declare that Senate Bill 4C and House Bill 9B are unlawful and unenforceable because they were enacted in retaliation for Disney’s political speech in violation of the First Amendment;
G. Issue an order enjoining Defendants from enforcing the Legislative Declaration;
H. Issue an order enjoining Defendants from enforcing Senate Bill 4C and House Bill 9B;

I suspect the order chosen was in descending order of probability.

IANAL but it would be a stretch temporarily enjoining House Bill 9B and 4C considering the arrangement is already in place. But you could probably handcuff the CFTOD board until such a matter is settled.

JAB

"G. Issue an order enjoining Defendants from enforcing the Legislative Declaration;
H. Issue an order enjoining Defendants from enforcing Senate Bill 4C and House Bill 9B;"

Looks like they are asking at a minimum for an injunction to uphold the agreements, but are also going so far as to ask to remove CFTOB while the case is pending.

lentesta

Premium Member
A response.

From the article: "I think they filed in Tallahassee for a reason, because they're trying to generate some district court decision," the governor said.

Or, you know, and I'm just spitballing here, suits against the state are best originated in the district in which the state capitol resides. So filing in the Northern District avoids a court saying "you filed in the wrong jurisdiction" and delaying relief.

I'd be mildly surprised if the defense argues venue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Or, you know, and I'm just spitballing here, suits against the state are best originated in the district in which the state capitol resides. So filing in the Northern District avoids a court saying "you filed in the wrong jurisdiction" and delaying relief.

I'd be mildly surprised if the defense argues venue.
yeah I guess he's questioning North District vs Middle? Since the District sits in the Middle District's jurisdiction... but the state house is in Northern district.

Curious to the thinking...

drnilescrane

yeah I guess he's questioning North District vs Middle? Since the District sits in the Middle District's jurisdiction... but the state house is in Northern district.

Curious to the thinking...
It's just him trying to muddy the waters by suggesting that Disney somehow is forum shopping. Like doubling down on the special privileges, not following the law rhetoric. Which will probably be their (amateur) argument in front of the judge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom