News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
I’ve self-edited a lot of comments and eventually just not posted many of my thoughts. I think ultimately what makes this fascinating is how it touches on so many issues: Disney’s presence as a cultural and economic hegemon (in the world and in central Florida), it’s use as a proxy by culture warriors on both sides, presidential aspirations, local politics score-settling, legislative process and attendant hijinx, the notion of corporate cronyism, a former CEO with a titanic ego that couldn‘t help but draw contrasts between he and his successor, notions of First Amendment freedoms of a private corporation and retaliatory governmental sanction, and, at the heart of it all, a Scopes Monkey Trial type of debate in terms of appropriate in-classroom discussion.
It’s a book waiting to be published

CaptainAmerica

I’ve self-edited a lot of comments and eventually just not posted many of my thoughts. I think ultimately what makes this fascinating is how it touches on so many issues: Disney’s presence as a cultural and economic hegemon (in the world and in central Florida), it’s use as a proxy by culture warriors on both sides, presidential aspirations, local politics score-settling, legislative process and attendant hijinx, the notion of corporate cronyism, a former CEO with a titanic ego that couldn‘t help but draw contrasts between he and his successor, notions of First Amendment freedoms of a private corporation and retaliatory governmental sanction, and, at the heart of it all, a Scopes Monkey Trial type of debate in terms of appropriate in-classroom discussion.
What a time to be alive.

EricsBiscuit

Can you define woke please?
Injecting modern leftist ideology into everything. The idea that, if I don’t explicitly say I’m pro xyz, then I must be anti xyz and atone for my perceived injustices.
So you’re okay with laws that target you for your political positions? Can we impose additional taxes on you and others who share your views? Or is it only okay to punish those you see as opponents?
Isn’t it unfair that Disney and not other businesses gets a special government all to itself?

Tha Realest

Not sure how to interpret the talking point that this is “bad” for Orange/Osceola counties since it’s money “Disney” won’t have to pay anymore. Trust me, if the RCID had become financially disadvantageous to TWDC over time, the arrangement would’ve been changed (or done away with completely) and TWDC wouldn’t have held such a tight grip over who controls it.

lazyboy97o

Isn’t it unfair that Disney and not other businesses gets a special government all to itself?
Other businesses can get similar districts created. The District means that Disney is the one paying for all sorts of things that the counties would otherwise have to finance. Don’t pretend you wouldn’t be complaining that the counties were building new roads and overpasses for the near exclusive use of Disney.

By taxpayers do you mean Disney? Which has been skirting paying taxes through loopholes thanks to the RCID for years? Please
What loopholes. Give us specifics. What taxes are the counties prohibited from collecting due to the District?

lazyboy97o

Not sure how to interpret the talking point that this is “bad” for Orange/Osceola counties since it’s money “Disney” won’t have to pay anymore. Trust me, if the RCID had become financially disadvantageous to TWDC over time, the arrangement would’ve been changed (or done away with completely) and TWDC wouldn’t have held such a tight grip over who controls it.
Disney pays a premium for a lot of things. That the District comes at a cost doesn’t mean it doesn’t have benefits to Disney, but it also has benefits to the local counties as well.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
Injecting modern leftist ideology into everything. The idea that, if I don’t explicitly say I’m pro xyz, then I must be anti xyz and atone for my perceived injustices.

There’s over 1800 special districts in the state of Florida, Disney is not the the only one. However with the date they chose to dissolve districts, only 5 of the 1,844 districts are targeted.

shambolicdefending

All of those new flyover intersections that have been built they were able to just build, they didn’t have to convince the county to build them and work out a funding mechanism to pay for them.
This is probably more what I was getting after. At the end of the day, RDIC must be saving Disney a ton of money (not just time), otherwise they wouldn't be so opposed to getting rid of it.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

By taxpayers do you mean Disney? Which has been skirting paying taxes through loopholes thanks to the RCID for years? Please
After RCID is gone, Disney will continue to skirt taxes and the resident taxpayers (other than Disney) will have to pay for all work that RCID did going forward.

lazyboy97o

There’s over 1800 special districts in the state of Florida, Disney is not the the only one. However with the date they chose to dissolve districts, only 5 of the 1,844 districts are targeted.
The governor even announced the changes to the special session in one of those districts! And if honestly believed that these pre-1968 districts were unconstitutional he could simply file suit against them instead of going through the expense of a special session.

Lilofan

After RCID is gone, Disney will continue to skirt taxes and the resident taxpayers (other than Disney) will have to pay for all work that RCID did going forward.
Orange County tax appraiser Rick Singh tried to take on the Mouse every year. He kept losing in court and Disney keeps paying lower taxes.

fgmnt

I dont know about that, but i wonder what the impact would be on changing over things to meet state regulations including potential things like road signs, power plants, road design and construction, and other infrastructure demands. For some reason, i doubt the ivy league elite governor has had all of this researched out.

PlaneCrazy1978

Just a question I was wondering about, not taking a side. Is the corporate speech Disney made protected by the First Amendment under Citizens United? And would Desantis's actions constitute suppression of free speech? I know it was intended for elections and advertising, but would the same protection afforded in Citizens United apply here? Or not?

Again, not a law expert, most people here are not, not taking sides, just looking at it from all angles.

jimbojones

Just a question I was wondering about, not taking a side. Is the corporate speech Disney made protected by the First Amendment under Citizens United? And would Desantis's actions constitute suppression of free speech? I know it was intended for elections and advertising, but would the same protection afforded in Citizens United apply here? Or not?

Again, not a law expert, most people here are not, not taking sides, just looking at it from all angles.
I think you would need to prove this was to silence fee speech and for no other legitimate public purpose, but not I'm not a lawyer

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom