News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
What are the odds a special session will be needed just to get the budget done. Will it include money for the suit? Odds of more retaliation?

The ONLY thing the Florida Legislature constitutionally has to do is pass a budget. But other issues have sucked up all the air.

Who knows at this point?

lazyboy97o

So you're good with a backroom deal which essentially allowed a private multi-billion dollar corporation to become it's own government to thwart or in retaliation for additional state oversight?

You're hardly an impartial entity fighting against authoritarian politicians, you like the the rest of the gas bags here are blatantly partisan because the small but vocal mob is screeching what you like to hear.
Oh look, more lying.

CaptainAmerica

There's a lot of fluff, but it's a fun
1682528610455.png

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It is a clear violation of Disney’s federal constitutional rights—under the Contracts Clause, the Takings Clause, the Due Process Clause, and the First Amendment—for the State to inflict a concerted campaign of retaliation because the Company expressed an opinion with which the government disagreed. And it is a clear violation of these rights for the CFTOD board to declare its own legally binding contracts void and unenforceable. Disney thus seeks relief from this Court in order to carry out its long-held business plans.

❤️

LAKid53

Premium Member
Given they said today they are going to raise taxes (despite all the local businesses pleading them not to) I do wonder if Disney will help those same businesses out whilst the legal stuff is all ongoing in some way given they all pay rates and likely partial profits to Disney.

Perhaps reduce the rent they pay?

tissandtully

So you're good with a backroom deal which essentially allowed a private multi-billion dollar corporation to become it's own government to thwart or in retaliation for additional state oversight?

You're hardly an impartial entity fighting against authoritarian politicians, you like the the rest of the gas bags here are blatantly partisan because the small but vocal mob is screeching what you like to hear.
Do you read this stuff before you post it?

RamblinWreck

Labeling it as “additional state oversight” just isn’t accurate.

Even though it was for a petty reason, I think few people would have complained much about Reedy Creek being dissolved if DeSantis had been able to do it. It’s not necessary for it to exist.

What he opted for instead is a fat sight beyond “additional state oversight”, an anyone who is paying attention to what’s happening can clearly see that in part because DeSantis freely admits and brags about it.

It’s a bit like labeling the issues with the Parental Rights Bill (or “Don’t Say Gay”) as either a fight between people who want to protect kids from being sexualized vs groomers (when looked through one lens) or a fight between people who advocate for human rights vs bigots (through another).

Neither is accurate. The parental rights bill says many things most people would agree with. It also has some crucial clauses that are extremely vaguely worded to the point that it almost seems intentionally done to keep people scared about what they say in school if it even remotely approaches a certain topic.

There’s room for nuance in this world. Not everything is black and white.

fgmnt

What are the odds a special session will be needed just to get the budget done. Will it include money for the suit? Odds of more retaliation?
Aside from whatever dear leader wants related to business of the state, aren't we still expecting a bill to come in that will allow him to remain governor after declaring for president?

LAKid53

Premium Member
He probably doesn’t want to be dealing with the discovery process for this suit while running though.

We’ve all seen the things he and his legislature were willing (and giddy) to admit to in front of cameras. What are the odds that their emails and texts are filled with significantly more damning material?

These people were sloppy, there’s no question about that. They rushed to punish Disney by trying to dissolve Reedy Creek without taking any time at all to figure out if that was even feasible. Then they opted for a Governor takeover of it instead, and paid zero attention to what the old board was up to on the way out the door.

I look forward to a discovery process that is likely even more entertaining than the recent Fox News / Dominion one.

Oh, there is, I guarantee. He's even thinner skinned than Trump. The billboard facing the governor's mansion was a source of daily anger on his part...to the point he wanted it removed.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Did you not read my previous responses?

I'm neither a fan of RCID, nor am I a fan of the response from DeSantis.

However, I recognize that RCID saved the local taxpayers from footing the bill for the services to operate what is a special tourism district whose public services they'd get little or no benefit from.

And I also recognize that CFTOD was created to punish Disney for the act of publicly disagreeing with DeSantis.

Only one of those two things benefits the public in any way, while the other was done for unconstitutional reasons.

In this instance of being between a rock and a hard place, I made my choice. And I'd be just as mad if this happened from a left (or even centrist) governor for the same reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom