News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

I'm not even sure Disney would have standing. Disney IS NOT the Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Reedy Creek Improvement District is not Disney.
Which only makes it worse. The District was targeted because of the actions of a third party.
Nobody is going to get dinged for anything.

Orange County will now pay the bills for these services, but now Disney is paying taxes to Orange County. It all comes out in the wash from a financial perspective. The main impact is that Disney will have some extra red tape to deal with on permits and such.
The counties would have to first increase taxes only around Walt Disney World.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
One of the points the speaker made was around the state would remove LGBTIQA+++++++ and put them into care.
This is rhetorical hyperbole, not libel.

Civil action would of taken too long ... I am surprised they haven't introduced a state income tax exclusively for Disney employees though 😁
The constitution of the state of Florida specifically makes a state income tax illegal.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The year before the Florida Constitution was ratified. It's defensible for a bona fide reason.

Not when the Governor and a number of legislators have explicitly stated that they were doing this because Disney was too "woke".

I'm not even sure Disney would have standing. Disney IS NOT the Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Reedy Creek Improvement District is not Disney.

They probably would as a landowner in the district.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Orange County will now pay the bills for these services, but now Disney is paying taxes to Orange County. It all comes out in the wash from a financial perspective. The main impact is that Disney will have some extra red tape to deal with on permits and such.
Wait…don’t you live in Connecticut?!?

So are you playing the fool or the one resident that never noticed how these mechanisms work?

Of course it will cost everyone more. That happens anytime there is major management disruption. Usually a big slice of that is robber barons pushing “privatization” as a sure fire way for everything to cost more while preaching Savings

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Or just say that they disagree with the legislation as written and will work to continue to support the LGBTQ community.
Chapek should have anticipated this. It was a major blunder the way it played out. Also those of you talking about this being a first amendment violation (which it may be) are acting like anyone really cares or follows the constitution anymore other than people complaining on the internet. Yes I’m jaded about politics and government and don’t trust either side.

Chapek certainly lacks the PR skills of his predecessor, as the recent Scarlet Johansson debacle proved.

mikejs78

Premium Member

Not true. Disney already pays property taxes to the counties. And they pay property taxes to the district.

If the district goes away, the counties can't magically raise Disney's property taxes by much. First, they'd have to raise taxes on all businesses, not just Disney. Second there's a provision in the FL constitution that prevents more than a 10% raise on property taxes for businesses in any given year.

This will have to be passed on to the residents.

Ghost93

DeSantis has absolutely nothing to do with US copyright law.
You are right. But many DeSantis supporters have called on him to try to attack Disney copyright should he ever run for President.

My point was that while I am generally Team Disney and anti-DeSantis, I actually would not mind copyright expiring after 95 years. I think copyright extensions have gone on WAAAY too long. Disney is one of the few companies that benefit from protecting 70-90 year-old films. Unfortunately, many great books and classic films not owned by Disney are suffering as a result.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
We are about to see Disney get on its knees. This is probably the first of several big moves by our Florida Governor, Ron DeSantis. The sweetheart tax break deals will be on the table next.

"You poke the bear... You get the claws!" If for some reason Disney CEO, Bob Chapek did not perceive DeSantis as a bear... that's on him.
Disney Anaheim and Universal are pretty profitable without their own special districts.

There's nothing DeSantis can do to break WDW, which just had it's highest quarterly revenue ever.

SirLink

This is rhetorical hyperbole, not libel.

The constitution of the state of Florida specifically makes a state income tax illegal.
I'm sure they could of changed the constitution if they wanted to as some people people on this forum feel they are already as they are 'oppressing' Disney

TikibirdLand

Copyright is a federal issue, not a state issue.
I think there's a lot of people weary of the constant increasing of the Copyright time grants. And, Disney isn't on many's sweet lists anymore. Disney has been kicking that hornet's nest a while now. Will they eventually start swarming?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

That's not correct. In debate today, the main sponsor of the Senate bill, Jennifer Bradley, clearly stated the outstanding debt of RCID will be assumed by the county governments when the district is dissolved and the counties take over the services the district provided to WDW. That cost will be passed on to residents in the form of higher property taxes.

Last edited:

Chip Chipperson

Disney already pays taxes to Orange County. The existence of RCID didn't prevent that.

lazyboy97o

You are right. But many DeSantis supporters have called on him to try to attack Disney copyright should he ever run for President.

My point was that while I am generally Team Disney and anti-DeSantis, I actually would not mind copyright expiring after 95 years. I think copyright extensions have gone on WAAAY too long. Disney is one of the few companies that benefit from protecting 70-90 year-old films. Unfortunately, many great books and classic films not owned by Disney are suffering as a result.
While the President appoints the Librarian of Congress, the Library of Congress is not part of the executive branch.

Ghost93

Chapek certainly lacks the PR skills of his predecessor, as the recent Scarlet Johansson debacle proved.
Before the legislation passed, Chapek should have sent out a statement along the lines of "While Disney supports parent rights and believes all discussions of sexuality should be age-appropriate, the legislation as proposed is too vague and could have potentially negative consequences on our LGBTQ employees. Because of this, we oppose this legislation as presented."

Obviously, it's too late for that, but, hindsight is 2020.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'm sure they could of changed the constitution if they wanted to as some people people on this forum feel they are already as they are 'oppressing' Disney

Not without a 3/5 vote of the legislature, ballot/voter initiative, or waiting until 2027/2037.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom