News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
If the legislation were actually targeting Disney employees. Sure.
In case you didn't notice... Disney employees are parents, have kids, and maybe don't have opinions on how their way of life is handled socially too.

When someone makes broad statements like 'stay out of politics' - one has to accept there is a wide range of political topics. Labor, rights, livelihood, and more.

Disney Glimpses

In case you didn't notice... Disney employees are parents, have kids, and maybe don't have opinions on how their way of life is handled socially too.

When someone makes broad statements like 'stay out of politics' - one has to accept there is a wide range of political topics. Labor, rights, livelihood, and more.
And how about we have elected politicians legislate based on what is beneficial to constituents and not as a means of retaliation against a private sector company.

GladToBeHear

Of course they are. But how is a bill addressing classroom instruction for 5-8 year olds attacking Disney employees? Especially when the majority of parents in the state on both sides of the political spectrum support it? Including a number of Disney employees themselves? Not to beat a dead horse -- but I think it's pertinent to the topic about how we got here.

Good point about my "stay out of politics" statement. I should've clarified. I would like to see a Disney that stayed out of hot-button/culture-war-type politics. But it's obvious that with their current leadership this isn't a reality.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If the legislation were actually targeting Disney employees. Sure.
It has a big impact on employees of RCID. They may not work directly for TWDC but a firefighter or EMT who works for RCID doesn’t know right now if they will have a job a year from now. About 400 full time emplyees work for RCID and a bunch of contractors.

There‘s also an indirect impact on employees. If Disney ends up pulling back on investment in FL as a result of this it will also potentially hurt current and future CMs.

GladToBeHear

It has a big impact on employees of RCID. They may not work directly for TWDC but a firefighter or EMT who works for RCID doesn’t know right now if they will have a job a year from now. About 400 full time emplyees work for RCID and a bunch of contractors.

There‘s also an indirect impact on employees. If Disney ends up pulling back on investment in FL as a result of this it will also potentially hurt current and future CMs.
Sorry. I'm replying to an earlier response about the original legislation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Good point about my "stay out of politics" statement. I should've clarified. I would like to see a Disney that stayed out of hot-button/culture-war-type politics. But it's obvious that with their current leadership this isn't a reality.
The sponsors of the bill to dissolve RCID agree with you. They had no issues cashing the checks when Disney donated to their campaigns (including Ronnie) but now that Disney opposed something they wanted to do they should stay out of politics.

JoeCamel

I have no problem with a business advocating for itself in the halls of power. If it is publicly owned I would expect it as they should be looking out for it's best interests.
I also believe the halls of power should be run on a straight up basis without being swayed by influence but I do live in this world and know the poor, fallible politicians that told us they would work to make our lives better when they wanted our votes fell to the irrepressible force that causes them to act in puerile ways without regard for their core mission of spending the money we allow them to collect from us. It is the only mandate they have but they flail around tilting at windmills real or imagined.
Such a system we have set up for ourselves, I fear we will be ever disappointed with how it works.

GladToBeHear

OK. I have nothing to say on the original legislation one way or the other. I do have a big problem with using the power of political office to attack someone who opposes you politically which is what the RCID bill does.
I won't argue with you there. I am honestly curious to see how this plays out legally. I suspect that the legislature/governor knows this could get struck down and their motive is more about "sending a message".

Kingoglow

Time to severely limit "public/private" partnerships. Businesses need to stand on ther own.
We will never be able to separate most business from the government. The government relies on low-bid contract work too much. The biggest stand out are private defense companies laying in bed with politicians.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom