News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

AdventureHasAName

Curious why you would think that?
Because RCID is not Disney (and vice versa) and the legislation doesn't touch Disney at all. It eliminates a government body. If a court were to determine that Disney is RCID (and vice versa) that would open up an entirely different can of worms (under current state and federal law). And I'm not sure even Disney wants to open that can of worms. At the most base level, you even have an issue about whether or not Disney has standing to bring a lawsuit.

GimpYancIent

Its signed into law - but the execution date isn’t until next year.

But this will be in the courts long before that and that date is nothing but a deadline in a game of chicken.
Yes it all will be in the courts long before the execution date and long after. RCID will be a fading memory before any kind of resolution is achieved in the courts, a small army of attorneys will make some money though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Overstepping it's bounds? It's not like the political left tried to force 100,000,000 American workers at private companies and an additional 4,000,000 federal employees and 5,000,000 contractors to receive a vaccine, potentially against their will. Do you forget how they forced private landlords to let rent-delinquent tenants stay on their property in perpetuity until the SCOTUS had to stop them not once, but twice?

Oh, and who can forget when Gavin Newsom dictated that Disneyland and other parks stay closed for over a year while WDW operated perfectly fine? Do you forget how that same Governor was repeatedly caught in violation of his own mask mandates while he was having businesses fined or even shut down for violating themselves?

I normally bite my tongue on these things, but surely you're smart enough to realize that the political left isn't some innocent baby in the race towards authoritarianism in this country. In fact, I'd argue they're ahead of the pack.
I agree that both “sides” are useless…because they serve the same interests: their pockets.

But…realize it was two diametrically opposed admins/circus shows that did those things you attributed to one.

Let’s just assume things were “weird”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Once again, several persons have made statements that their goal is change Disney’s entertainment content. They’re interested in broader Censorship, not just specific legal activities.
…correct. For political donor money.

Just like the “other” bill that started this mess had the sponsor on a hot mic said they were gonna “stop the spread”

Which a lot of folks here are ignoring

Last edited:

peter11435

Because RCID is not Disney (and vice versa) and the legislation doesn't touch Disney at all. It eliminates a government body. If a court were to determine that Disney is RCID (and vice versa) that would open up an entirely different can of worms (under current state and federal law). And I'm not sure even Disney wants to open that can of worms. At the most base level, you even have an issue about whether or not Disney has standing to bring a lawsuit.
DeSantis, his press secretary, the deputy press secretary, the lieutenant Gov, and over a half dozen state legislatures are on the record openly stating that this law was passed to harm Disney in response to their statement and content. Their statements have been made on the house and senate floors, at press conferences, on live tv, and on Twitter. And then you have DeSantis openly stating that Disney is going to pay more taxes as a result.

Brian

I agree that both “sides” are useless…because they serve the same interests: their pockets.

But…realize it was two diametrically opposed admins/circus shows that did those things you attributed to one.

Let’s just assume things were “weird”
True, but only one administration defended it before SCOTUS, and had to do it a second time because they ignored them the first time. Otherwise, yeah, right or left is just two sides of the same coin.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
True, but only one administration defended it before SCOTUS, and had to do it a second time because they ignored them the first time. Otherwise, yeah, right or left is just two sides of the same coin.
If elections had yielded different results…the other side would have done the same strong arming or worse. The opposition/support would have flipped.

You know this…don’t play the anti. You’re a bright boy.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Roy Disney went to Florida in 1964 and told them to create it to make wdw possible.

This is just the fact…it determined what “is” and what “isn’t”

Does RCID sound shady? Of course.

Has it been completely beneficial for everyone involved? Florida at the top of the list?

100%. Not even a question.

This is bad politicians - novices basically - making a spectacle for nonsense purposes.

Nothing more

Brian

You’re a bright boy.
I'm blushing. 🤣

If elections had yielded different results…the other side would have done the same strong arming or worse. The opposition/support would have flipped.

You know this…don’t play the anti.
Agreed. The previous administration was no stranger to strong arming. I'm glad to denounce authoritarianism wherever it is, including the previous administration, the current one, or the one in Florida right now.

Dranth

Just as a reminder, it was the Democrats who fought a civil war to try to maintain slavery.
Not relavent and also a bit misleading.

Funny how all those “democrats” are now the main voting block of the current Conservative party. Strange how they all flipped in near unison back in the 1960s. Wonder what could have happened back then to cause them to flip sides? Weird.

AdventureHasAName

You have to be just trolling right?
Not at all. You can't say someone is punishing someone (or an entity) for speech unless you can identify the specific speech. And in the instance of a legislative body, you have a couple hundred people and they may be acting with different motivations. In this instance, you had over 130 different legislators vote to approve this bill and your suggestion appears to be that one person (the Lt Gov), who did not vote on the bill, could invalidate it through her comments. I disagree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom