News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chip Chipperson

You didn't ask if there were advantages or not. You asked if there were extra advantages only availble to Disney and not anyone else.

There's tons of special districts in Florida.

If you cannot point to an example advantage given to Disney that isn't available to anyone else, I would just assume there aren't any.
Also, there are very obvious disadvantages to the current setup, most glaringly is the fact that the new Board has no accountability to any landowners in the District, have openly stated that their goal is to censor Disney, and have tried to void existing contracts that were signed by the previousBoard members. That alone is more than enough reason for the company to spend millions of dollars fighting it.

scottieRoss

Im saying that the original RCID charter was flawed from day one. (In my opinion)

is it true that the state of Florida bent over backwards so hard that RCID/Disney was even given the right to build their own international air port...and their own nuclear power plant?? C'mon!. If that is correct....that is just a photograph as to how crazy Florida's mindset was in the late 1960's. I feel like Florida sold their soul to Disney back then.

Well,....RCID has been "updated" now and I think Disney will be perfectly fine in the new organization. Disney needs to now worry about its own bad park and attraction decisions. They need to fix their OWN boardroom.

The state of Florida and CFTOD and "NOT" Disney's real problem. Disney needs to fix THEMSELVES right now.
The important question is why do you think that the district should be regulating Disney when Universal, Sea World, Lego, and Busch Gardens do not have a Tourism Oversight board. Or for that matter why the board is called Central Florida Tourism when it has left out all the other Central Florida tourism areas? Or is it that you just want to regulate Disney?

Cliff

The important question is why do you think that the district should be regulating Disney when Universal, Sea World, Lego, and Busch Gardens do not have a Tourism Oversight board. Or for that matter why the board is called Central Florida Tourism when it has left out all the other Central Florida tourism areas? Or is it that you just want to regulate Disney?
I suspect that the RCID bonds are the main reason why this is a legacy mess. They cant just desolve the legacy mess and force the counties to take on this nightmare. Again,....i see just too many dependencies now from a bad plan that was created to build an Experimental Prototype COMMUNITY of Tomorrow....that never wound up happening...lol. Florida was WAY too over-excited about the EPCOT prospect and I think RCID as it was written was a result of that giddy/happy emotion.

GrumpyFan

I suspect that the RCID bonds are the main reason why this is a legacy mess. They cant just desolve the legacy mess and force the counties to take on this nightmare. Again,....i see just too many dependencies now from a bad plan that was created to build an Experimental Prototype COMMUNITY of Tomorrow....that never wound up happening...lol. Florida was WAY too over-excited about the EPCOT prospect and I think RCID as it was written was a result of that giddy/happy emotion.
Nah. The EPCOT project was a pipe-dream, pie-in-the sky, fantasy land. Nobody really had a clue what that was except Walt himself. Even his own people thought it was way too lofty and unachievable.
Florida leaders saw the success of Disneyland and wanted an East coast version to bring tourism dollars to central Florida.
Sure, they basically, gave him a blank slate and all access to do what he wanted, but nobody really complained for about 25 years while the money was good and crowds were manageable.

lazyboy97o

You haven’t read the documents you were provided, have you?

Chi84

Premium Member
That’s contrary to what the contemporaneous documents and Supreme Court decision said. Also contrary to what the legislators said. Where are you getting these ideas because there aren’t any facts to support them?

scottieRoss

@Cliff is just pushing an agenda without any facts.
He just ignores the fact that RCID had nothing to do with EPCOT. It was created to fund the construction of the infrastructure for the Vacation Kingdom. For 55 years, the RCID did exactly what it was created to do, Give Walt Disney Productions, and their successors, the ability to construct the largest vacation destination in the world without burdening the local populace. It is a model that has been repeated in Florida and other states. The Villages and businesses in local TIFs can thank Reedy Creek for proving it can work.

CaptainNicko

He just ignores the fact that RCID had nothing to do with EPCOT. It was created to fund the construction of the infrastructure for the Vacation Kingdom. For 55 years, the RCID did exactly what it was created to do, Give Walt Disney Productions, and their successors, the ability to construct the largest vacation destination in the world without burdening the local populace. It is a model that has been repeated in Florida and other states. The Villages and businesses in local TIFs can thank Reedy Creek for proving it can work.
For the record, I asked y'all to stop replying...

I've seen quite a few people say that EPCOT had nothing to do with RCID as if they know this for a fact . My question is, how do we know for 100% certainty that IS fact? Does anyone happen to have meeting minutes between Disney reps and FL legislators that prove EPCOT was or wasn't used in their lobbying efforts? Are there some newspaper articles of the time that quote anyone from Disney or the state regarding EPCOT's role in creating the RCID as evidence one way or the other? If there is concrete proof then, great I'd love to see it! Otherwise none of us can say without a shadow of doubt that Walt's promise of EPCOT had absolutely nothing to do with the FL state legislature's decision to create the RCID. It's all speculation based on various bits of evidence we have. So therefore, it's an opinion and cannot be stated as fact.

As for my personal opinion, I agree with @Cliff that the promise EPCOT did play some role. It may not have on been the sole reason they created RCID, but it did play a role.

Just because someone has an opinion that differs from yours, that doesn't mean they're "pushing an agenda". We're merely expressing our viewpoint.

scottieRoss

I've seen quite a few people say that EPCOT had nothing to do with RCID as if they know this for a fact . My question is, how do we know for 100% certainty that IS fact? Does anyone happen to have meeting minutes between Disney reps and FL legislators that prove EPCOT was or wasn't used in their lobbying efforts? Are there some newspaper articles of the time that quote anyone from Disney or the state regarding EPCOT's role in creating the RCID as evidence one way or the other? If there is concrete proof then, great I'd love to see it! Otherwise none of us can say without a shadow of doubt that Walt's promise of EPCOT had absolutely nothing to do with the FL state legislature's decision to create the RCID. It's all speculation based on various bits of evidence we have. So therefore, it's an opinion and cannot be stated as fact.

As for my personal opinion, I agree with @Cliff that the promise EPCOT did play some role. It may not have on been the sole reason they created RCID, but it did play a role.

Just because someone has an opinion that differs from yours, that doesn't mean they're "pushing an agenda". We're merely expressing our viewpoint.
We have the actual reasons listed in the charter that was passed by the State of Florida that says the district was created to preserve natural resources and attractions and the creation of vacations sports and attractions

Cliff

We have the actual reasons listed in the charter that was passed by the State of Florida that says the district was created to preserve natural resources and attractions and the creation of vacations sports and attractions
And they allowed Disney specifically to build an actual NUCLEAR power plant..."not"...to power the futuristic CITY of the promised EPCOT...but, instead, the nuclear power plant could be used to power and protect the "natural resources" of the land they were maintaining.

Disney's nuclear power plant was never for EPCOT. The enormous power needs for EPCOT had nothing to do with this allowence. :)

Look....I understand that there are many RCID lovers in this forum that believe strongly in its charter's purpose. I'm just not one of them. I dont like the idea of "any" company having that much controll of any local government. Maybe only "ignorant" or "stupid" people believe this way. Maybe it's me just being horribly cynical. Well?...I also believe that more RCID shadiness WILL come to light in the months that follow.

Yep...I know the last sentence will really trigger some people. They will say "You terrible person!...how dare you have a hunch or suspicion about RCID without hard facts to back it up!!"

It's just a hunch folks....that's all it is and we all have them.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

We have the original Reedy Creek Improvement District charter and the State Supreme Court decision.

And they allowed Disney specifically to build an actual NUCLEAR power plant..."not"...to power the futuristic CITY of the promised EPCOT...but, instead, the nuclear power plant could be used to power and protect the "natural resources" of the land they were maintaining.
Disney can still build a nuclear power plant. Private companies are allowed to build, own and operate nuclear power plants in the US and Florida.

Well?...I also believe that more RCID shadiness WILL come to light in the months that follow.

Yep...I know the last sentence will really trigger some people. They will say "You terrible person!...how dare you have a hunch or suspicion about RCID without hard facts to back it up!!"
Calling it a “hunch” is just trying to hide that it’s a lie. No shadiness has even come to light for there to be more.

lazyboy97o

Oh,....this is interesting. Did Disney's "old" RCID board offer unfair property tax rates on assessed Disney property?

I dont know....but the new CFTOD commission will find out soon. I will almost bet my very life they will find out more much than just this.

But again,...this is just "speculation" (no,....not a "lie') by everybody involved until they release hard evidence of what they find to the public. This link starts half way into this but the beginning is also very interesting.

The counties, not the district, handle property assessment.

You have been provided evidence including original documentation. You have clearly chosen to ignore it and instead chosen to just “speculate” (make things up) instead. So yes, you are making statements you know are not true.

Cliff

The counties, not the district, handle property assessment.

You have been provided evidence including original documentation. You have clearly chosen to ignore it and instead chosen to just “speculate” (make things up) instead. So yes, you are making statements you know are not true.
And the millage rate on the assessment?

So if we speculate on what team is going to the Super Bowl, or speculate how a company stock will perform or speculate who will win a public election or speculate what will happen in a war.....to "you", that is all just "lying".

Wow,...you have a REALLY broad definition of the word. To the rest of the world, "lying" and "speculating" are two very different things.

RamblinWreck

And the millage rate on the assessment?

So if we speculate on what team is going to the Super Bowl, or speculate how a company stock will perform or speculate who will win a public election or speculate what will happen in a war.....to "you", that is all just "lying".

Wow,...you have a REALLY broad definition of the word. To the rest of the world, "lying" and "speculating" are two very different things.

How are you imagining there are shenanigans with the mileage rate on an assessment they have never been involved in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tha Realest

Residential communities are mentioned numerous times in the charter as well

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom