News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

kalel8145

So my reading of the bill is this:
  1. Any special district formed before the ratification of the 1968 FL Constitution and not re-ratified, reconstituted, etc. under the 1968 FL Constitution is dissolved as of June 1, 2023. This affects six special districts and includes the RCID.
  2. These districts may be re-established on or after June 1, 2023 under Chapter 189, Florida Statutes.
Everyone is ignoring part 2. The RCID will just re-establish itself and go about its merry way.

As for the reasons of dissolving, well, those are being hotly debated.
Yep. Exactly what I said about 2000 pages ago. I doubt it makes it to the June 2023 deadline. Money will help when the re-negotiation of the district starts.

Disstevefan1

The news article I read said that the ready Creek district operates annually at a budget deficit of anywhere from 5 to 10 million dollars. And due to that rolling deficit they have one billion in debt. It sounds like unless taxes are increased, the counties will be absorbing more cost than they will in taxes from Disney.
Correct, the number I saw was 2 Billion in debt. No worries, its Orange and Osceola counties problem.

jericho

Corporations have an interest in lobbying on issues that directly impact their business. If they choose to engage in politics outside their purview, they will be treated with all the aggression inherent to the political sphere, and they will deserve it. Go apolitical again, and we'll all be happy to go back to business. Turn into a propaganda and lobbying wing for the most radical activists and be treated in kind.

peter11435

The news article I read said that the ready Creek district operates annually at a budget deficit of anywhere from 5 to 10 million dollars. And due to that rolling deficit they have one billion in debt. It sounds like unless taxes are increased, the counties will be absorbing more cost than they will in taxes from Disney.
Debt is from bonds they have sold not from budget deficits

WildRide

Putting aside the tax and debt liability issues, and political gamesmanship for a second... I'm trying to understand why Disney should be entitled to this still? If competitors like Universal and Seaworld have managed, what is the justification for keeping the status quo now that all of this desolate swampland has been developed?

TrojanUSC

This is going to be challenged. Plus the statute as it stands requires more than half the residents of LBV & Bay Lake to vote for the dissolution which simply won't happen.

flynnibus

Premium Member

No - they issue bonds to raise money to spend instead of having to save hundred of millions in cash before they do something. This is typical of all entities. They issue bonds that are secured with their future tax revenues. It's no different than you getting a loan from the bank to pay for a car and using your job history as proof of your ability to pay... or you getting a home equity load to to allow yourself to have a line of credit. The difference is a government will have to spend HUGE chunks of money at a time compared to what you as an individual would so it's not as easy for them to simply 'save up before you buy'

The news and others are mashing up different points and people are getting confused. There is the issue of their existing debt and having to pay those ongoing obligations and there is the issue of paying for all the services and liabilities the counties would inherent without any specific revenue to pay for them (think roads, services, utilities, etc). So the counties would have to inheret massive new liabilities that do not have existing funding to pay for them. That's the crux. They would have to come up with new tax revenues (which can come from a multitude of means) to pay for those things.

MickeyWaffleCo.

In the Parks
No
I have no issue with your having a different viewpoint. I know this is a highly charged issue and people have strong viewpoints. And, hey, if you posted an editorial on the site railing against the bill, I'd have no issue with that. My issue is simply on the reporting of the actual facts here. The bill is not called the "Don't Say Gay" bill. I mean, it's just not. It's called the Parental Rights in Education Act. Opponents have dubbed it the "Don't Say Gay" bill to make a point about it. In what is supposed to be a news story reporting information, I don't know why you can't add that simple bit of context. That's all I'm saying.
100% agreed. Though the Site That Must Not Be Named also obviously shared the same view of the bill, they did provide the factual name of the bill in addition to the name coined by its opponents. If I were running a news site, whether I agreed with a bill or not, I’d call it by its actual name. News is supposed to be as objective as possible (even if that’s often not the case nowadays).

Disstevefan1

Corporations have an interest in lobbying on issues that directly impact their business. If they choose to engage in politics outside their purview, they will be treated with all the aggression inherent to the political sphere, and they will deserve it. Go apolitical again, and we'll all be happy to go back to business. Turn into a propaganda and lobbying wing for the most radical activists and be treated in kind.
Sadly, in theory, it's a good idea for big companies to be apolitical. It does not work in practice. These days anyway.
Big companies like TWDC can't be apolitical. Today I think its a necessity; power, water, politics.

Animal_Kingdom_09

Ok, how will this affect any of us? As of right now I'm having a difficult time figuring that out.
And as much as I love you all on this site I find it pretty disheartening that this thread has just become another echo chamber for both sides with self professed experts giving their opinions as facts without really stating how this affects Disney's guests.

Unless you happen to own some of the bonds, there is a >99% chance that it will not affect you at all.

As an aside, the RCID issued a statement on EMMA that the legislation allows them to re-form the district under a different law, and the new district will assume the obligations of the old district. Since the RCID has a responsibility to its bondholders, my guess is that all you will see is the district changed to a CDD. It will do all of the same things except for zoning changes (I think) and Orange/Osceola counties will rubber stamp those changes (see Universal/Sea World).

ctrlaltdel

I will just say in the $200m in pension/healthcare liability that the RIDC holds is a bit of a misnomer. That is something that doesn’t need to be paid immediately and is already paid for in each budget. It is typically just an actuarial number done by the auditor each year for the year-end audit.

And that’s actually not too bad of a number either. My City had an over $160m liability and we have a budget a quarter of RIDC’s.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If they choose to engage in politics outside their purview, they will be treated with all the aggression inherent to the political sphere, and they will deserve it.
If you were talking about customers or public sentiment - you'd have a point. But we're talking about government reaction - not individuals. One is protected against by the first amendment to our constitution - the other is not.

AEfx

Putting aside the tax and debt liability issues, and political gamesmanship for a second... I'm trying to understand why Disney should be entitled to this still? If competitors like Universal and Seaworld have managed, what is the justification for keeping the status quo now that all of this desolate swampland has been developed?
Shhhh...no one wants to admit that they are suddenly turning Disney into the "poor little rich kid" underdog who can't get a break, rallying for special corporate interests - while at the same time trying to convince everyone that there is "nothing more to see here" because Disney doesn't really benefit from it, anyway.

It's kooky the mental gymnastics folks will go through in our Heroes vs. Arch Villains society.

Disstevefan1

I will just say in the $200m in pension/healthcare liability that the RIDC holds is a bit of a misnomer. That is something that doesn’t need to be paid immediately and is already paid for in each budget. It is typically just an actuarial number done by the auditor each year for the year-end audit.

And that’s actually not too bad of a number either. My City had an over $160m liability and we have a budget a quarter of RIDC’s.
A drop in the bucket compared to the 2B in debt from RCID...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom