Reduction in Air -Conditioning Usage?

thomas998

Didn't the Mythbusters disprove this?
I think they did an episode where the tried to show that other things your house were dirtier than a toilet seat, like a kitchen sponge. But I don't think anyone has ever disproven the toilet-plume as there have been different scientific studies that have shown it to exist. The only differences I noticed in the studies was how far out the plume was measured to go when you flushed from a low of 10 feet to a high of 15 feet.

MsAnniee

This isn't a question of if the AC has been reduced. It has been. Significantly.

The question of whether you are okay with that or not, is entirely different.
I don’t mind the a/c is set at 72 degrees. I do mind when the a/c goes off at night and there is no ceiling fan. Waking up because I’m too hot and have to get up to turn the a/c back on is not okay.

CoolMom2112

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4692156/

Don't take my word for it, have a look at the above and then feel free to believe what you want. There appears to be enough independent studies on the existence of it to convince me that it exists.
From the article you referenced:
However, no studies have yet clearly demonstrated or refuted toilet plume-related disease transmission, and the significance of the risk remains largely uncharacterized.

Goofyernmost

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4692156/

Don't take my word for it, have a look at the above and then feel free to believe what you want. There appears to be enough independent studies on the existence of it to convince me that it exists.
Well, maybe you will get the chance to enjoy living in your next life. Keep up hope! I don't suppose anyone has mentioned the millions of mites and microscopic critters that live on your skin and in your bed, blankets and especially your pillows. Absolutely everywhere. Oh, and by the way, a lot of that stuff that you are worried about came out of your body. Can you imaging what it must be like inside yourself?

thomas998

From the article you referenced:
However, no studies have yet clearly demonstrated or refuted toilet plume-related disease transmission, and the significance of the risk remains largely uncharacterized.
Do you actually think there is any chance of a scientist getting funding to have people inhale fecal bacteria to see if it makes them sick or not? Maybe if Dr. Mengele was alive and kicking we might find such a study but seriously, no one needs to do a study to see if it is safe to inhale fecal bacteria.

thomas998

Well, maybe you will get the chance to enjoy living in your next life. Keep up hope! I don't suppose anyone has mentioned the millions of mites and microscopic critters that live on your skin and in your bed, blankets and especially your pillows. Absolutely everywhere. Oh, and by the way, a lot of that stuff that you are worried about came out of your body. Can you imaging what it must be like inside yourself?
You might consider doing a little reading on the differences between good and bad bacteria. You'll find that while some bacteria can give us wonderful things like yogurt, others can do nasty things to people. Fecal bacteria isn't one of the good ones and its the one you get from a toilet-plume.

Goofyernmost

You might consider doing a little reading on the differences between good and bad bacteria. You'll find that while some bacteria can give us wonderful things like yogurt, others can do nasty things to people. Fecal bacteria isn't one of the good ones and its the one you get from a toilet-plume.
OK, as long as you do some serious reading about the immune system and how it works. BTW, let me know how the yogurt that you scraped off your pillow case tastes won't you.? Yes, a lot of bacteria is good and necessary, but, bacteria is everywhere and you cannot see it, so it is best to strengthen your immune system so it can take care of all that you cannot see, including your over stated fecal bacteria. If your system is so weak that the alleged "toilet plume" will cause you or anyone else a problem (unless they have an established lazy immune system) you may have a gigantic problem. I will admit that the people that invented and marketed all that hand sanitizer really did a great job scaring a lot of people.

thomas998

OK, as long as you do some serious reading about the immune system and how it works. BTW, let me know how the yogurt that you scraped off your pillow case tastes won't you.? Yes, a lot of bacteria is good and necessary, but, bacteria is everywhere and you cannot see it, so it is best to strengthen your immune system so it can take care of all that you cannot see, including your over stated fecal bacteria. If your system is so weak that the alleged "toilet plume" will cause you or anyone else a problem (unless they have an established lazy immune system) you may have a gigantic problem. I will admit that the people that invented and marketed all that hand sanitizer really did a great job scaring a lot of people.
I guess I've found the person that would go tap dancing in Chernobyl after all you can't see radiation so you don't have to worry about it, right?

Though I am confused on why you would think people would be scraping yogurt off their pillow case. I guess you have a completely different lifestyle than most people if you think yogurt should be poured on your bed pillows.

tirian

It is not naïve. Of course it is a savings things, based on a trend that is happening across all of the US.

And saving energy and donating are not related since 1) if they don't adapt to US saving energy methods WDW will seem wasteful and not caring about the environment--bad PR, and they sure have been getting a lot of that lately and 2) donations do not come from an operating expenses budget.

I don’t know why so many people think the answer has to be all-or-nothing. That’s not how business divisions work.

Some things are done out of legitimate green initiatives, and others are done to save money. Things that work in hotel rooms don’t necessarily apply to theme park operations.

Also, nobody here seems to factor in the body heat that comes from hundreds of people standing in the attraction queues. Buzz Lightyear comes to mind.

There’s also a threshold before the heat and humidity contribute to mold growth (it’s about 78°F). When I lived in Florida, I kept my thermostat on 77° and used ceiling fans; but I also kept the doors and windows closed, and didn’t have hundreds of people walking through my house.

DisAl

Most of the time transfer of viruses or bacteria occurs via hand to hand contact or touching things that other people have touched. I am more concerned about where a person's hand has just been than I am about the plume.
Ever see someone in a doctor's office cover their mouth (as they should) with their hand and then pick up the magazine they were reading? I never touch the magazines in a doctor's office and the last thing I do on the way out the door is take advantage of the hand sanitizer they provide.
So yes, hand sanitizers do have tremendous benefit.

Jon81uk

So yes, hand sanitizers do have tremendous benefit.

Yes but they are only really nescecery when access to soap and water is not available. Using hand sanitiser every 10 seconds is not a healthy thing to do. Using it when entering/leaving doctors and washing your hands thoroughly after then toilet and before eating is good practice.

Goofyernmost

I guess I've found the person that would go tap dancing in Chernobyl after all you can't see radiation so you don't have to worry about it, right?

Though I am confused on why you would think people would be scraping yogurt off their pillow case. I guess you have a completely different lifestyle than most people if you think yogurt should be poured on your bed pillows.
I'm not going to continue this foolish conversation any longer. What you do with your life is yours, but, science is also able to tell you the same things that I have been saying. It is your life and what you do with it is up to you. I prefer not to go through life in constant paranoia about everything. I just believe that the more I protect myself from ever coming in contact with something that might give me a chance to build up my immune system, I know it is to my long term benefit to give my system a chance to work properly. I won't dive into a cesspool or "tap dance in Chernobyl" because I can recognize what is detrimental to my system and what can be helpful. So with that... it is time for me to let it go!

Oh, btw, try taking a few less literal pills and understand that some things are just examples of what you are ignoring while panicking about other things. It was you that said the it takes bacteria to make yogurt so there is good bacteria. I am saying that you are right, but since we are surrounded by bacteria making attempts to avoid it are futile.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

And it is 100% better than soap and water.... Next you will say air blowers to dry you hand are clean....
Why would I say that? I am saying that I feel that many have been duped into thinking that hand sanitizer usage is necessary constantly to prevent sickness. It isn't.. it was sold to everyone as that, but it really can be more detrimental then positive in the long run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom