Redo dinoland

doctornick

Dinoland USA as a whole is fine, it’s only the Dino Rama part that is subpar (even the kitschy gift shop is fine). With Primeval Whirl shut down, they just need to demo the carnival area and put in a Dinosaur attraction worthy of DAK. Some version of Excavator would be fine (though another thrill ride isn’t what DAK needs - a ride with the Dino portion of UoE would be ideal).

I do think there is a place/need for some kid friendly rides in the park though. I don’t care much for TS but if it goes it would be nice to see some stuff that the younger set can ride replace it (eg some version of A Bugs Land)

PurpleMan

In the Parks
No
how do you save dinoland.
Turn it into a real life Jurassic Park! Oh wait, I forgot Disney doesn't own that IP.;)

image.jpg

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Turn it into a real life Jurassic Park! Oh wait, I forgot Disney doesn't own that IP.;)

I think that's a real issue.

Makes you wonder if WDI has wavered on which concept to pursue or if they even want to commit to theming a land based solely on dinosaurs knowing that their dinos will always be compared to those at their competitor's park; an IP that is being heavily pushed and expanded with a new coaster addition.

Does Disney continue on with the same theme in hopes of putting a new spin on it or do they scrap it in favor of a new concept entirely?
Should Disney redo Dinoland or replace Dinoland? And if redo... How? Attempt #1 wasn't met with much fanfare.

Last edited:

mavlax20

Ok, three options I have thought about.
1: Beastly Kingdom (which was mentioned earlier). It was originally supposed to be part of the park, why not add it now? You can build a roller coaster, though you may have to get creative with the space, but it is do-able. The dinosaur ride can be changed, same concept, except you're transported back to the middle ages and looking for a dragon (or a certain breed of dragon) and along the way you encounter other creatures you never thought existed, and the creatures can be nice or territorial.
2: Architect Section. You can build the excavater coaster, but the ride track at Dinosaur is the same technology as Indiana Jones at DL, so why not redo Dinosaur and make it into an Indiana Jones ride? The theming and everything about the DL ride screams DISNEY, and the ride is great, you can create a new storyline for the ride also.
3: If they aren't going to put it in EPCOT, why not add an area devoted to Australia? The wildlife there is amazing, and you can make Dinosaur into a ride in the Outback. You can use one of the mythological creatures of the Outback to be the big end scene creature. You can also build a smaller roller coaster, something that doesn't take much space (like 7DMT).

Granted, yes, each idea will take some money to do and I know COVID has hurt them financially, but I think each idea could be worth exploring to replace Dinoland if they ever do it. I do agree, it did feel like it was lacking the true Disney feel, and it felt out of place, but maybe now they can make it right.

Nottamus

Its never been our favorite part of AK either. Don't care for the carnival thing, BUT its always pretty busy in there so someone must like it!

I am all for the change into something better, maybe attractions that teaches something....

We do like Dinosaur quite a bit, so maybe just expand someday......someway.....when Disney has money again. Well, after Epcot is done.

JohnD

Ok, three options I have thought about.
1: Beastly Kingdom (which was mentioned earlier). It was originally supposed to be part of the park, why not add it now? You can build a roller coaster, though you may have to get creative with the space, but it is do-able. The dinosaur ride can be changed, same concept, except you're transported back to the middle ages and looking for a dragon (or a certain breed of dragon) and along the way you encounter other creatures you never thought existed, and the creatures can be nice or territorial.
2: Architect Section. You can build the excavater coaster, but the ride track at Dinosaur is the same technology as Indiana Jones at DL, so why not redo Dinosaur and make it into an Indiana Jones ride? The theming and everything about the DL ride screams DISNEY, and the ride is great, you can create a new storyline for the ride also.
3: If they aren't going to put it in EPCOT, why not add an area devoted to Australia? The wildlife there is amazing, and you can make Dinosaur into a ride in the Outback. You can use one of the mythological creatures of the Outback to be the big end scene creature. You can also build a smaller roller coaster, something that doesn't take much space (like 7DMT).

Granted, yes, each idea will take some money to do and I know COVID has hurt them financially, but I think each idea could be worth exploring to replace Dinoland if they ever do it. I do agree, it did feel like it was lacking the true Disney feel, and it felt out of place, but maybe now they can make it right.

1. Because Beastly Kingdom and Dinosaurs were to be separate areas of the park at the same time. See the dragon and triceratops in the same logo. Pandora took over Beastly Kingdom. Dinosaurs remained. I'm all for tearing out the Dinoland traveling fair. But nothing against retaining the dino theme. Keep DINOSAUR. Use the National Geographic IP to create a dinosaur excavation area.
2. If DINOSAUR is already themed after dinosaurs, why re-theme it to a related concept? Might as well leave it alone.
3. To your last point, this area would then either remain dinosaurs or rethemed to something else. If both, too cluttered. But if rethemed to Australia, THEN it would be appropriate to retheme DINOSAUR to an Indy ride with a concept having to do with Australia. Also, integrate the area with the Finding Nemo show as it takes place (mostly) in or near Sydney.

disney-animal-kingdom-logo.jpeg

Last edited:

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Yeah, but isn't that Harry Potter now? If Universal's take on it isn't there anymore, what's the harm in Disney bringing the idea back?

It's a well-worn theme unless they can somehow put a new spin on it. Pixar's results weren't all that successful. And the unicorn craze is over. Dragons will always be popular but unless Disney gains the rights to an IP on the level of Potter or Lord of the Rings, today's Disney isn't likely to commit. Any new land development it seems is driven by IP and nothing more. I think they need to either go in an entirely different direction for the sake of newness or originality or just improve the Dino concept. I don't think Beastly Kingdom is the answer anymore, IMHO.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

And if they decide to keep the dino theme, in addition to new attractions, why not move T-Rex from DS to the area? You would have a perfectly themed restaurant for the area, with american choices in food that even picky kids will enjoy...

JIMINYCR

This area of the park has long been a place we have always avoided. On our first visit we went through once and I saw there was nothing there worth our time other than the Dinosaur attraction. The only time I was interested in visiting it was when Lucky the Dinosaur made his all too brief appearance.

Lucky-the-Dinosaur-img_4676_4.jpg

IF a Beastly Kingdom was set up, even as a small representation of mythological things, it would do wonders for the area.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom