Recent Reviews of Skipper Canteen

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Anyone been to skipper canteen lately? I remember reading so many mixed reviews when it first opened but I can't help but still want to eat here... can anyone recommend? Pictures on twitter look so tempting...

:)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
We were there in July, so kind of recent. My husband and I enjoyed our meal a lot. I had the steak and he had the char shui pork. We were supposed to share dishes but once my husband tasted his he only let me have one bite. We also enjoyed the kungaloosh dessert, I would go back just for that. The theme inside the restaurant is fun to look around at too, if you go spend some time looking (and laughing) at the titles of the books in the library.

Weather_Lady

I haven't been there, but like you, I've been scouting reviews like it's my job. For the most part, I feel like the positive reviews I've read are from people who went to SK looking forward to something different, who ordered adventurously (e.g., noodle bowls, whole fried fish) and enjoyed their food. The negative reviews I've read seem to track along the lines of, "I went to SK and picked out the most boring thing on the menu I could find (e.g., mac&cheese or plain chicken), and I didn't like it because it tasted exactly like [pasta or chicken] and wasn't that special."

We're looking forward to a visit there in a few weeks, so I'm hoping the positive reviews were more representative of the place. One thing most of the reviews seem to agree on is that the skippers have fun with their comedic roles, and that the service and ambiance are terrific even if/when the food is so-so.

Last edited:

Ryan H. Serowinski

I Actually ate there when I went two months ago, I thought it was good(especially the fact that I had a Melon Fanta soda from Thailand to drink, I had a noodle soup that tastes like chicken), but my mom didn't like eating there(that's what she said).

Last edited:

bunnyman

I was there the first week of August; just my wife and I as our kids were off somewhere else. Made a 5pm dining reservation and we were seated fairly fast. I had the Sustainable Fish, and my wife had the "A Lot at Steak" Salad. Overall, we found the food to be quite tasty, maybe a 3 ½ to a 4 on a scale of 5. Portion sizes were kind of skimpy for the prices, but that’s not unexpected at WDW (recommend getting a side dish like rice, or an appetizer, as you’ll walk away hungry if you get that fish dish). We had a great waiter, who was into the whole Skipper spiel. We noticed that he kind of tested you to see how you’d play along, and that determined how he progressed through the meal. When he saw we were into hit, he was in full Skipper form. At the table next to us was a family of four from Amsterdam, who had no idea what quite to make of it. He backed off of them with the one-liners, etc.

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your repossess! This is one restaurant I just cannot make my mind up about! I had an ADR then I dropped it, and then a few days later I went and got another one. I just cannot decide!!! :)

Eddie Garrison

We ate there a few weeks back and it was good. Nothing to write home about but the starters we had were very good and the soup we shared was also good. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you ate here. We enjoy it.

Eddie Garrison

Here are some pictures from our last visit to Skipper Canteen.

13775941_1395427077150491_5969491370246934504_n.jpg

13728900_1395427083817157_5402740643030466376_n.jpg

13692727_1395427100483822_482474593612340762_n.jpg

13775400_1395426983817167_6447437967188963610_n.jpg

Nice pix @Eddie Garrison. I ate there with family last week just before Wishes. It was a thirty minute wait, but the "mess hall" seemed to be only 3/4th full when we were seated. Maybe a staff issue? Our waiter was very fun and quick witted. As for the food, I had the lamb and thought it was well worth it. Disney is obviously taking a risk with such an adventurous menu, but given it's an easy reservation in the Magic Kingdom, I wonder if they have plans to simplify it? Definitely a unique spot and worth the visit.

danyoung56

I had lunch there in July and enjoyed it (well, most of it). The appetizer was falafel balls -

It was pretty hummus-y, and I don't like hummus. I'm sure it was prepared well, but it didn't work for me. My entrée was the signature steak -

Very tasty, and the chimmichuri sauce on top really made the taste of the beef snap. Remember, there's schtick from your waiter, kinda like the Jungle Cruise. If you're ready for it, it can be fun. My waiter was good, but a little strange. I would banter back, and I don't think he was quite ready for that. Still, a very good lunch (woulda gone better with a glass of wine or two!).

Hockey89

I had lunch there in July and enjoyed it (well, most of it). The appetizer was falafel balls -

It was pretty hummus-y, and I don't like hummus. I'm sure it was prepared well, but it didn't work for me. My entrée was the signature steak -

Very tasty, and the chimmichuri sauce on top really made the taste of the beef snap. Remember, there's schtick from your waiter, kinda like the Jungle Cruise. If you're ready for it, it can be fun. My waiter was good, but a little strange. I would banter back, and I don't think he was quite ready for that. Still, a very good lunch (woulda gone better with a glass of wine or two!).
Is that avocado in the chimmichuri sauce? Odd no?

Weather_Lady

There's a new [positive] SK review posted today that is quite thorough, but it's on a blog I can't link to from here.

Google, "Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen New Menu Review at Disney's Magic Kingdom" (the title of the blog posting) and you should find it easily.

LadyBelle

In the Parks
No
IMO, if you're a foodie or like to try different things, that place is for you. If you're not adventurous (like me), avoid it at all costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom