Rebel Moon

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Rebel Moon is certainly Star Wars-ish. It's pretty much a mish mash of every sci-fi movie ever made.

I don't think it would have succeeded as a theatrical franchise.

However, as a Netflix movie with no lofty expectations I think it will be fairly well received, despite the critical reviews.

It has a decent story and characters, and solid production values. It's better than most Netflix original movies in my opinion.

You still stand by that?

I just finished a Bug's Life. I mean Rebel Moon. Someone could make a drinking out of the number of slow motion scenes. I can't believe there is an even longer version of this.

It was like watching Krull (the 1983 film), the Star Wars Christmas Special, a D&D RPG module acted out by middle schoolers, Battlestar Galactica (the original series), Jupiter Ascending, a MST3K film, an Unreal Engine demo (rushed to meet the convention presentation), a Discovery channel one-hour travelogue that should have been cut down to half an hour, and the typical Snyder plot where the uber-people just don't want to be involved until a nemesis does war crimes and they now have to get involved out of revenge -- but they won't acknowledge it's all about revenge.

Ayn Rand would have loved it.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
my wife wants to watch it, & i haven’t heard 1 good review for it yet.
Oh, go ahead and hate-watch it. I laughed out loud at times.

Note that the establishing shot for any scene gets established with several multi-angle (and slow motion) shots. Really pads out the runtime! And is hilarious.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
So in about a day we have Disney's answer to Harry Potter (Percy Jackson) vs Netflix's answer to Kathleen Kennedy... I mean Star Wars (Rebel Moon). Soon we'll know if either is a franchise with legs.

I wonder if the Snyder-bros are happy with their new and better Star Wars franchise?

;)

mf1972

You still stand by that?

It was like watching Krull (the 1983 film), the Star Wars Christmas Special, a D&D RPG module acted out by middle schoolers, Battlestar Galactica (the original series), Jupiter Ascending, a MST3K film, an Unreal Engine demo (rushed to meet the convention presentation), a Discovery channel one-hour travelogue that should have been cut down to half an hour, and the typical Snyder plot where the uber-people just don't want to be involved until a nemesis does war crimes and they now have to get involved out of revenge -- but they won't acknowledge it's all about revenge.

Ayn Rand would have loved it.
wow krull. there’s some cheesy 80’s memories 😂

Phroobar

Granted they are just doing a remake of Battle Beyond the Stars (which is a remake of the Magnificent Seven), it doesn't really stand up to either one of those. For such a long running time, it should have had more character development and a better arc for the girl. She is too super girl even though she was trained by the bad guys. There were too many slow motion bullet shots which really takes you out of the action. The aliens were interesting. The bad guys armor is about has effective as stormtrooper armor. Nobel and his soldiers are just not that scary.

I'm convinced that no one in Hollywood has any clue how to make a Star Wars movie. They think they do. Disney dodged a bullet on this one.

iu

Wendy Pleakley

You still stand by that?

Yes.

If you judge this movie as whether or not it's the next great sci-fi franchise, the answer is no. I don't think it's the disaster many people do but it's a pretty average endeavor.

Looking at it as a Netflix movie, it fares better. What do most people want from Netflix? They want to click on the next thing and be moderately distracted by it for a couple of hours. It meets the low bar of being an adequate Netflix film.

Netflix films do not have a great track record. They often feel cheap or boring. This movie had enough action and spectacle to hold my attention. The production values were solid.

Would I have been as happy had I paid for this in the theater or as a standalone rental? No. As part of my existing Netflix subscription, it was acceptable but certainly could have been better.

MoonRakerSCM

Omg... "Krull", "Battle Beyond the Stars"...

The real question is, was this horrific movie made wirh as much heart as thise so as to becime a cult classic...?

Robbiem

Granted they are just doing a remake of Battle Beyond the Stars (which is a remake of the Magnificent Seven), it doesn't really stand up to either one of those. For such a long running time, it should have had more character development and a better arc for the girl. She is too super girl even though she was trained by the bad guys. There were too many slow motion bullet shots which really takes you out of the action. The aliens were interesting. The bad guys armor is about has effective as stormtrooper armor. Nobel and his soldiers are just not that scary.

I'm convinced that no one in Hollywood has any clue how to make a Star Wars movie. They think they do. Disney dodged a bullet on this one.

iu
Don‘t forget the magnificent seven was a remake of the seven samurai so we have a remake of a remake of a remake!

And thats not counting a bugs life or the mando episode with cara dune and the ATST which were the same plot as well!

mf1972

Omg... "Krull", "Battle Beyond the Stars"...

The real question is, was this horrific movie made wirh as much heart as thise so as to becime a cult classic...?
i’m having corny 80’s sci fi flashbacks reading all of this. the last starfighter, flash gordon, & ice pirates just to name a few more. from what i’m reading, they all might be better than rebel moon too.

Wendy Pleakley

The slow motion shots in this movie were an odd choice.

It has a lot of action scenes where the good guys would clearly be shot and killed (like every movie), but the slow motion shots actually make it easier to see how unrealistic the outcomes are.

All the talk about how this and other movies are based off the Seven Samurai has prompted me to finally pull the copy of that movie I have off my shelf, but have never watched.

It is kind of funny to see so many people get angry that "they copied A Bugs Life! How dare they! How unoriginal!" only to find out, um, actually, Bugs Life wasn't original either.

sedati

Dawn of The Dead is his one and only watchable film. The rest are tedious slogs and his more recent stuff has achieved an atrocious aesthetic that I’d call “uncanny everything” where every element on screen looks slightly off in a way that my brain refuses to accept.

Last edited:

WDWmazprty

LOL! Yeah, it was fun. Definitely saw the similarities to Star Wars. It will be a sci-fi classic years down the road, lol.
For me, it was a movie we'd watch on a Friday night sleepover ....not a masterpiece, but just something fun to watch and to make fun of!
I can't wait for part 2!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Cora.

Every fantasy/sci-fi world has a "Cora."

Pollux and Castor? This is shades of Battlestar Galactica making it's world either Earth's very distant past or future.

Phroobar

The slow motion shots in this movie were an odd choice.

It has a lot of action scenes where the good guys would clearly be shot and killed (like every movie), but the slow motion shots actually make it easier to see how unrealistic the outcomes are.

All the talk about how this and other movies are based off the Seven Samurai has prompted me to finally pull the copy of that movie I have off my shelf, but have never watched.

It is kind of funny to see so many people get angry that "they copied A Bugs Life! How dare they! How unoriginal!" only to find out, um, actually, Bugs Life wasn't original either.
No one is getting upset about A Bugs Life here. We know it is just Magnificent Seven/Seven Samurai. It is the same story. It was just better told in all of those other versions. Rebel Moon is probably the weakest of them all.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
So, in a universe where a giant Dreadnought can just hover in the clouds, and spaceships have artificial gravity, the poor transport ships have to use thrusters/propellants. But that's OK. Zach is going to make transport ships the new TIE fighters.

So, let's go to timestamp remaining 2:04:11. The farmers are debating what to do with the galactic empire and a farmboy comes in running "they're coming!" and we hear a rumble from the ships.

So, let's cinematically establish the arrival of the empire officers in their totally cool transport ships...

2:04:07 Overhead shot of the shadow of the transports racing along the ground. Camera at the bottom of a ship looking down.​
2:03:58 Camera lags back and lets the lead ship pass it. It looks up to see the ship skimming along the land. Thrusters firing kicking up clouds of sand. Wait a sec... why didn't we see clouds of sand when looking straight down? The thruster wash comes and goes without regard of height from the ground.​
2:03:56 A "rousing choral anthem plays" (according to the CC). Total coolness!​
2:03:48 A shot of "Father" looking up at the incoming ships​
2:03:44 The lead ship is about to land next to the village. Thrusters straight down and descending. Throws up a *HUGE* amount of wash in a sand storm from up high, which didn't happen earlier when skimming the surface much lower.​
2:03:40 Cora watching the ship descend. Apparently, she can keep her eyes open while being blasted with the sand cloud.​
2:03:38 Camera on the ground looking up at the descending ships past the villagers are all shielding their eye from the thruster wash and sand.​
2:03:36 Shot at eye level of the nice girl (the one who will be part of the attempted rape.. no, not that one... the *first* attempted rape of the movie). She's shielding herself from the wash in a thick sand cloud.​
2:03:34 Say, what's happening with the farmer who sold grain to the rebels? Oh yeah, let's get shot of him shielding his eyes from the stand storm.​
2:03:32 New shot... camera looking down on "Father" and the villagers on the bridge all shielding their eyes from the wash.​
2:03:30 Eye level shot of the three ships slowly descending. Did I mention their thrusters are sending up a bit of sand in their wash?​
2:03:28 Ground level shot of some villager's feet in a cloud of sand. Riveting.​
2:03:26 Eye level shot of one of the ship's landing legs extending and touching down amidst the continuing sand wash.​
2:03:23 Ground level close-up shot of that landing leg's foot-pad firmly touching down in the sand. This is where I just burst out laughing. That close up of the foot pad "establishing" that the ship is landing is so... unnecessary.​
2:03:19 Back to "Father" and villagers holding up their arms to block the sand wash.​
2:03:16 Eye level shot of one of the ships that has touched down, and another, closer ship also now touching down. Lots of wash, even coming at the camera!! Ramps coming down for the occupants to walk out.​
2:03:05 Close up view of the feet of an officer starting to go down a ramp. Slo-mo! Pulls back to reveal the main antagonist.​
2:02:57 Close up of "Father" looking back at his people seeming to say "do you all see them walking in slo-mo, too?" Surprisingly, no more cloud of sand and dust around him. It all moved to the background to bother the extras.​
2:02:49 The Antagonist walks over the bridge toward "Father." The air is crystal clear.​

So, that's 1 minute 20 seconds to establish the transport ships are arriving and its occupants get out. And also establish just how much wash their thrusters create. I'm sure that will be a major plot point in Part 2.

And all done in 15 shots! For three ships to land.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

So, in a universe where a giant Dreadnought can just hover in the clouds, and spaceships have artificial gravity, the poor transport ships have to use thrusters/propellants. But that's OK. Zach is going to make transport ships the new TIE fighters.

So, let's go to timestamp remaining 2:04:11. The farmers are debating what to do with the galactic empire and a farmboy comes in running "they're coming!" and we hear a rumble from the ships.

So, let's cinematically establish the arrival of the empire officers in their totally cool transport ships...

2:04:07 Overhead shot of the shadow of the transports racing along the ground. Camera at the bottom of a ship looking down.​
2:03:58 Camera lags back and lets the lead ship pass it. It looks up to see the ship skimming along the land. Thrusters firing kicking up clouds of sand. Wait a sec... why didn't we see clouds of sand when looking straight down? The thruster wash comes and goes without regard of height from the ground.​
2:03:56 A "rousing choral anthem plays" (according to the CC). Total coolness!​
2:03:48 A shot of "Father" looking up at the incoming ships​
2:03:44 The lead ship is about to land next to the village. Thrusters straight down and descending. Throws up a *HUGE* amount of wash in a sand storm from up high, which didn't happen earlier when skimming the surface much lower.​
2:03:40 Cora watching the ship descend. Apparently, she can keep her eyes open while being blasted with the sand cloud.​
2:03:38 Camera on the ground looking up at the descending ships past the villagers are all shielding their eye from the thruster wash and sand.​
2:03:36 Shot at eye level of the nice girl (the one who will be part of the attempted rape.. no, not that one... the *first* attempted rape of the movie). She's shielding herself from the wash in a thick sand cloud.​
2:03:34 Say, what's happening with the farmer who sold grain to the rebels? Oh yeah, let's get shot of him shielding his eyes from the stand storm.​
2:03:32 New shot... camera looking down on "Father" and the villagers on the bridge all shielding their eyes from the wash.​
2:03:30 Eye level shot of the three ships slowly descending. Did I mention their thrusters are sending up a bit of sand in their wash?​
2:03:28 Ground level shot of some villager's feet in a cloud of sand. Riveting.​
2:03:26 Eye level shot of one of the ship's landing legs extending and touching down amidst the continuing sand wash.​
2:03:23 Ground level close-up shot of that landing leg's foot-pad firmly touching down in the sand. This is where I just burst out laughing. That close up of the foot pad "establishing" that the ship is landing is so... unnecessary.​
2:03:19 Back to "Father" and villagers holding up their arms to block the sand wash.​
2:03:16 Eye level shot of one of the ships that has touched down, and another, closer ship also now touching down. Lots of wash, even coming at the camera!! Ramps coming down for the occupants to walk out.​
2:03:05 Close up view of the feet of an officer starting to go down a ramp. Slo-mo! Pulls back to reveal the main protagonist.​
2:02:57 Close up of "Father" looking back at his people seeming to say "do you all see them walking in slo-mo, too?" Surprisingly, no more cloud of sand and dust around him. It all moved to the background to bother the extras.​
2:02:49 The Protagonist walks over the bridge toward "Father." The air is crystal clear.​

So, that 1 minute 20 seconds to establish the transport ships are arriving and it's occupants get out. And also establish just how much wash their thrusters create. I'm sure that will be a major plot point in Part 2.

And all done in 15 shots! For three ships to land.
This makes me want to watch it, if just for the laughs. Very Funny:)

Phroobar

So if the farmers have a space ship, why do they sow crops by hand? They would grow more crops if they used technology and wouldn't be starving. Where are their weapons? At least in Battle Beyond the Stars the village said they were pacifists so had no weapons. How does one 90 pound girl take out twelve battle harden soldiers?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom