Ready to buy, push me over the edge

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I think a lot of people look at Riviera and think, “Why not just book a nice room at the Four Seasons or somewhere else?”. I have no desire to stay there, the points are outrageous and it’s just so... meh.
I do not understand the prices there. Can't make any sense of them whatsoever. Price per point is insane. Points per night are insane. And rack rate price per night for cash guests is insane.

And they're not just insane by "real world" standards, they make no sense by Disney standards either. With all of the other options, I don't get the appeal in the slightest.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I do not understand the prices there. Can't make any sense of them whatsoever. Price per point is insane. Points per night are insane. And rack rate price per night for cash guests is insane.

And they're not just insane by "real world" standards, they make no sense by Disney standards either. With all of the other options, I don't get the appeal in the slightest.

It was always the trap they were gonna fall into there (they set the trap themselves)...

They just couldn’t control themselves/understand the limits.

nickys

Premium Member

It’s the newest resort. Of course it’s going to be pricey.

And I want to stay there. I love the fact they have all the Walt memorabilia stuff from his time in Europe. And the artwork and ornate details in the villas, especially the living rooms. But I know I’m in the minority. That’s OK though, less competition!

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
It was always the trap they were gonna fall into there (they set the trap themselves)...

They just couldn’t control themselves/understand the limits.
The hilarious irony of the thing is that they're also on this crusade to combat resale while simultaneously introducing the dullest resort imaginable with the least attractive points chart.

rreading

Got it. Ayyyyyyy.
I expect that you're going to love it. Only trouble is that if you use all your points on Aulani (which is fine!) then you're going to be lacking points for the WDW trips. Getting to stay for a reasonable price at the different deluxes is so nice. And as much as this board does not like Bay Lake, my boy thinks it's one of his his favorite resorts (maybe #1)

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I expect that you're going to love it. Only trouble is that if you use all your points on Aulani (which is fine!) then you're going to be lacking points for the WDW trips. Getting to stay for a reasonable price at the different deluxes is so nice. And as much as this board does not like Bay Lake, my boy thinks it's one of his his favorite resorts (maybe #1)
I probably should have said this from the beginning, but I have... ahem... access... to heavily-discounted cash rooms as well. So I'll be banking-and-borrowing to do large trips every few years (whether that's Aulani or bigger villas at WDW) and filling in other years with those discounted cash rooms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s the newest resort. Of course it’s going to be pricey.

And I want to stay there. I love the fact they have all the Walt memorabilia stuff from his time in Europe. And the artwork and ornate details in the villas, especially the living rooms. But I know I’m in the minority. That’s OK though, less competition!

I feel like we had this talk before...so I won’t labor it

But all patches of ground in 32830 are NOT created equal.

There’s a very good reason why they had the 3 categories in hotel classes. It’s more than just the food court and the size of the beds.

What the bobs did here is try to say amenities, themes, and the grounds don’t matter anymore. They had a point with the acceptance of Saratoga (sorta) and the prices of art of animation and the compete blinders on “copper creek”...
But there are limits and this may be a misstep. Jury is still out.

We’ll probably be ok disagreeing on this one.

aliceismad

I think a lot of people look at Riviera and think, “Why not just book a nice room at the Four Seasons or somewhere else?”. I have no desire to stay there, the points are outrageous and it’s just so... meh.
It's a perfectly nice hotel but it lacks a wow factor for me personally. I've not been there in person, so maybe I'll feel differently there. It looks lovely but it doesn't transport me anywhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I probably should have said this from the beginning, but I have... ahem... access... to heavily-discounted cash rooms as well. So I'll be banking-and-borrowing to do large trips every few years (whether that's Aulani or bigger villas at WDW) and filling in other years with those discounted cash rooms.

I can give you...ahem...access to 50% off deluxe rooms most of the time...

Because some of the travel agents with group blocks offer them. Just gotta know where to look 🤪

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I feel like we had this talk before...so I won’t labor it

But all patches of ground in 32830 are NOT created equal.

There’s a very good reason why they had the 3 categories in hotel classes. It’s more than just the food court and the size of the beds.

What the bobs did here is try to say amenities, themes, and the grounds don’t matter anymore. They had a point with the acceptance of Saratoga (sorta) and the prices of art of animation and the compete blinders on “copper creek”...
But there are limits and this may be a misstep. Jury is still out.

We’ll probably be ok disagreeing on this one.
Part of the problem in assessing it is that there are three major variables, so assigning blame to any one of them in particular is impossible. You have a crazy cost/points chart, a generic resort, AND unique contract terms and conditions.

I think a moderately-themed resort with a points chart structured accordingly could have been a fair addition to the portfolio. But they built their moderately-themed resort and gave it a Grand Cali points chart.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's a perfectly nice hotel but it lacks a wow factor for me personally. I've not been there in person, so maybe I'll feel differently there. It looks lovely but it doesn't transport me anywhere.

I think that’s the point...it’s a “test case”.

This regime would NEVER build a wilderness or animal kingdom lodge. As referenced by the two new builds they’ve tried or proposed in wdw: bon bini tower and mandarin oriental: river country

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Because the Bob’s know only one thing - Charge more for less. It’s a startling and stark contrast to what built the company and the parks in the swamps of Orlando in the first place.

CaptainAmerica

Original Poster
I think that’s the point...it’s a “test case”.

This regime would NEVER build a wilderness or animal kingdom lodge. As referenced by the two new builds they’ve tried or proposed in wdw: bon bini tower and mandarin oriental: river country
I actually liked the concept art for Reflections...

If executed properly, it's a nice Frank Lloyd Wright tribute.

The weird thing is, I really like Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, and they're pretty generic. Neither one inspires the hatred in me that I feel for Riviera... but I suppose that's a personal problem.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

The weird thing is, I really like Old Key West and Saratoga Springs, and they're pretty generic. Neither one inspires the hatred in me that I feel for Riviera... but I suppose that's a personal problem.

I absolutely love the vibe of OKW. We were not fans of SSR for the first several years after we bought there but the addition of the Paddock pool and food area, plus easier access to DTD/Disney Springs, helped turn us into believers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

That’s great...but frank Lloyd wright isn’t a Disney theme...and whether they are willing to accept it or not...that’s their market. This “transition” to Waldorf Astoria is a fools errand. Iger will be wrong still 40 years from now when he’s dead. Doesn’t make him right now.

Saratoga and old key west are very subdued...and that is not a plus for many. But the “Riviera” doesn’t even have that going for it.
It’s not a spot on the map...it doesn’t have a
Pool theme...no catchy names or labels.

It has nothing to make it Disney...ironic for a place that peddles Disney product,
Disney tickets, and Disney food, no?

I absolutely love the vibe of OKW. We were not fans of SSR for the first several years after we bought there but the addition of the Paddock pool and food area, plus easier access to DTD/Disney Springs, helped turn us into believers.

Same exact opinion as mine.

Last edited:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The pros of Riviera is that it’s self contained and the skyliner. The rooms are also big and nicely finished, the closest DVC has come to meeting the finish standards set by the other timeshares in Orlando. Still worse, but close.

The cons are the point chart, the point chart, the point chart, the point chart, and the point chart. Resale restrictions are also a con but not in the vicinity of the point charts. What a joke.

A resale contract at BWV is MUCH cheaper on a cost per year basis than Riviera is new, once you account for the opportunity cost of putting that money into DVC instead of saving it. If you want to be near crescent lake, that’s the best option.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom