Read This Article

tk421-sw

aloha2308 said:
Their ace reporter should remember a quote from "Miracle on 34th Street":

"Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile." - Fred Gailey

Here Here!

LoisMustDie

aloha2308 said:
:brick: As LP McQuack pointed out, the Daily News is sufficient only as liner for the world's birdcages. More truthful and insightful reporting is done by the "Weekly World News". And I agree with the post that pointed out that this magazine with their "expose" is brand new and probably desperately trying to get subscribers.

Don't forget, however, that the Orlando Sentinel :hurl: leaps all over anything that has to do with Disney imperfection. It's a well formed pattern, and it only proves that trying to do something truly good will get you picked on the same way you get picked on for being a decent kid throughout your schooling career. It's not cool to be about magic, or good, clean family fun. Articles like this are written by miserable people who like to rip away peoples' dreams and kill happiness and idealism, so that everyone shares in their misery. These people should be pitied, because they will never let themselves experience the fun of enjoying time in a place where everyone is as young as they want to be, or the look on the face of a child meeting Mickey for the first time ever. Rather, they'll just sit and pull the wings off of everyone's butterflies to make themselves feel better about leading lives devoid of happiness. Sorta like the mean girls who make fun of other people to make their flaws less discernable.

At any rate, we all know what Disney is about, and speaking as a castmember myself, maybe I'll call the customer service line and let them know what I think of their little magazine.:lookaroun Their ace reporter should remember a quote from "Miracle on 34th Street":

"Look Doris, someday you're going to find that your way of facing this realistic world just doesn't work. And when you do, don't overlook those lovely intangibles. You'll discover those are the only things that are worthwhile." - Fred Gailey
Well put! Applause, applause!

Bravesfn1

aloha2308 said:
:brick: As LP McQuack pointed out, the Daily News is sufficient only as liner for the world's birdcages. More truthful and insightful reporting is done by the "Weekly World News". And I agree with the post that pointed out that this magazine with their "expose" is brand new and probably desperately trying to get subscribers.

Don't forget, however, that the Orlando Sentinel :hurl: leaps all over anything that has to do with Disney imperfection. It's a well formed pattern, and it only proves that trying to do something truly good will get you picked on the same way you get picked on for being a decent kid throughout your schooling career. It's not cool to be about magic, or good, clean family fun. Articles like this are written by miserable people who like to rip away peoples' dreams and kill happiness and idealism, so that everyone shares in their misery. These people should be pitied, because they will never let themselves experience the fun of enjoying time in a place where everyone is as young as they want to be, or the look on the face of a child meeting Mickey for the first time ever. Rather, they'll just sit and pull the wings off of everyone's butterflies to make themselves feel better about leading lives devoid of happiness. Sorta like the mean girls who make fun of other people to make their flaws less discernable.

So are you saying that this magazine article is totally made up and this stuff is untrue or are you saying people are just picking on Disney and finding something to be critical about? Please clarify. Being a cast member you would probably be a good source of information.

prisoner

FourFourSeven said:
But some people hold Disney to a higher standard. It really is a heck of a complement to Disney's incredible standard and amazing service in-park that there's even a need to write articles like this about OFFTIME.

That "some people" is the Walt Disney company itself, following a tradition (or at least a trend) that quite possibly started with Walt. They want to protect their image. Here is an article (at SaveDisney, who quotes someone else, who quotes a book by Ward Kimball) talking about Walt and what the company did about his image after he died:

Walt's virtue is all they want to perpetuate. The great doer of good, the manufacturer of children's entertainment. Sure, he was that. But he said "________" and the rest of the words, and as I've said, he'd talk about turds for thirty minutes without pausing for a breath.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
LoisMustDie said:
Oh no! People have to WORK for their money now?! Heaven forfend! What kind of evil corporation is this? :rolleyes:

And I love how they just threw out the phrase "many of them (CP CMs) are gay," implying that it's somehow evil for Disney to hire such people. And I'm sure these idiots can BACK UP their claims. :rolleyes: These people need a good kick in the nuts. Go back to blabbering about Paris Hilton, you talentless hacks.
Man I wish we still had rep points so I could send you some green.

MiklCraw4d

MKCustodial said:
And they always forget to mention that, if you don't wanna engage in any of the activities, you just don't! I was there for 3 months and never went to a single party. We did throw water balloons at a party that got out of an apartment and into the streets at 3 in the morning, but they asked for it. :lol:

Nice! I'm surprised security didn't put the smack down on that (the party, that is). I've often thought that I must have had the most absolute boring stay at Vista Way of anyone, ever. I guess just being at WDW 24/7 was excitement enough for me.

My roommate more than made up for my lack of... activities... though... :lookaroun

BTW, that article is a stunning piece of hackery. In breaking news! People act like.... people!

MKCustodial

MiklCraw4d said:
Nice! I'm surprised security didn't put the smack down on that (the party, that is). I've often thought that I must have had the most absolute boring stay at Vista Way of anyone, ever. I guess just being at WDW 24/7 was excitement enough for me.

My roommate more than made up for my lack of... activities... though... :lookaroun

Heh, when I got there I asked for a non-smokin, non-drinking, non-partying apartment. The guys were very nice, and I got all Americans, while most of the people that were there with me wanted to bunk with all Brazilians. When the Fall people left, VW got all the Brazilians and stuffed them in two buildings out back, to make way for the Spring people. Obviously, it turned into a slum, and it was non-stop noise for the rest of the month. :rolleyes: Thankfully, my roommates were nice enough to either go look for a party instead of starting their own or not caring for one all together.

And I agree with you, being at WDW, working at the MK, was excitement enough for me! Every single day-off, if I wasn't at the parks I was at the movies.

disneyfreak7036

I also do not care what cast memebers do on their off time. What I really want to know is are these huge parties with the Brazillian babes included in the park hopper option?

bhg469

this is getting more press than i thought. im afraid this is going to make the college program get a little more strict. its too bad, people should be able to have fun in their own time.

Steve-Matt

Entertainers are real people after all!

Having worked in the entertainment industry for 15yrs, the articles are a picture of real life.

I have done shows and pre-show cabaret for many stars over the years, they have all been great at their jobs and received their standing ovations. The one thing that stands out is that they are all super professional on stage and when meeting their fans, as CM are! It's a great job to have and you do have to work hard to create the 'on stage' magic for the hours you work.

Work hard, play hard!

Letting off steam in any career could grab headlines, especially with the things that go on at the office parties! The entertainment industry is no different, the only slight difference is that you live together as a team and therefore have more parties!

I have seen some people get so overwhelmed about after hour’s fun that they have brought conversations into work about it, this is a no no! I can understand that it is a bit overwhelming on first contact especially if it’s your first time living and working in a close group. However you do get used to it quick and keep work and party separate. It does upset the balance if someone decides to print details, as if they are the only person that knows it goes on!!!

I’m sure Disney are very aware that after hours fun goes on, as long as it keeps a reasonable level then it is no problem. If someone goes too far I’m sure that Disney would sort them out, as I’m sure the other CM would as well!

I'm sure most people will read the article and think 'Ow well!'

The comment about gay people working for Disney!!!! It’s 2005 get a life!!!!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
dxer07002 said:
Nobody white gets to be Mulan.

I beg to differ

1505mulaninnoventions.jpg

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
cac2889 said:
Well good lord...just how bad is Vista Way (refraining from using its reputation given name)?

it's overrated nowadays.... but for the life of me, I will NOT go in that hot tub

fillerup

Thanks to the NY News for this "Breaking Story".

For cryin' out loud - this could have been written in any year since 1971, and for a lot more years before that in California.

No telling how many times I saw Minnie & Mickey smoking in tunnel break rooms with their heads lying on the floor back in the 70's.

And CM midnight skinny-dipping parties at SW Orlando apartment complexes was practically legendary.

I've never quite forgotten one particular Cinderella.....sigh.

And oh yeah, they always went out and made the magic the next day.

bhg469

mkt said:
it's overrated nowadays.... but for the life of me, I will NOT go in that hot tub

yeah i said the same thing to my girlfriend when she lived there. that hot tub has to be totally yuck. although it would make an interesting episode of CSI, with all that "DNA evidence" :eek:

Epcot82Guy

In a way, I hope this does cause the CP to crack down a bit, but not at the apartments or backstage. Instead, I hope this leads only to more training and expectations at work. The ONLY problem with any of this (which is true, but that is a sidenote because EVERY corporation has people that do this) is if it affects the magic on stage. I do know when I was a CPer, there were people that were too hungover, tired from **ahem** activities the night before, etc. and they showed that on stage. If that means things change, then good, but it should come from setting highere expectations for participating in and successfully completing the program and NOT in the form of monitoring activities, setting even stricter hours, etc. because that will only make partying more attractive and drive it farther underground. If, instead, they will get sent home without their money, credit, etc. for performing poorly, it might make one think twice about partying the night before a long shift. Treat it like the job that it is, I guess, as you would any full-time member, and "fire" and reprimand as necessary.

Kuzco

After reading that article, the only reaction that popped into my head was "So?" :rolleyes:

I was also a CP in 2000, and yes, many "fun times" take place at Vista Way. But it isn't like any of this is forced. If you have "too much fun" and it affects your on-stage work, there are consequences.

Do people really care this much about complete strangers' personal lives or do some media outlets just think we do? :hammer:

The part of the article that seems to call into question Disney's hiring practices for performers boggles my mind. I didn't realize it was wrong to select performers who appear to have the most resemblance to Disney's characters...yikes... :hammer:

Glasgow

What happens in Vista should stay in Vista

:lol:

It's college students for pete's sake. What do you think is going to happen? Just as long as it doesn't create bad show then whatever

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom