News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

TDogg76

My wife and I just returned from WDW. Bought multiple items that were placed in a plastic bag and were never “upcharged” to a purchased bag. Not understanding why this is an issue for anyone not wanting to purchase a bag!

MiddKid

I’m totally good with this price increase. We bought five bags (4 parks + DisSprings) in size medium when we were there in April and use them daily at home. A few thoughts:
  • At my local store the other day I purposefully checked and they were selling their own boring big box reusable bag for $1. Heck, if I was standing in that store (not the parks) and their $1 bag was sitting next to a $2 or $3 collectible Disney bag I’d take the Disney one in a heartbeat.
  • The next town over has not only banned plastic shopping bags but if you use a paper bag the retailer (including Target) charges you five cents (a minimum by law...some charge ten). Five to ten cents for a standard paper bag where the handle is going to rip off by the time I get to my car. So if my shopping trip takes four bags I drop $0.40. Or I pay $7.50 for three medium Disney bags (I can easily fit 4 paper bag contents into 3...maybe 2) and I break even in less than twenty trips. And that’s just straight utility math not taking into account our simple enjoyment of these cool bags.
Granted, we live in a part of the country where bringing your own bags shopping is standard practice.

I will also admit that despite buying five bags at WDW we didn’t once use them there. We carry backpacks for small things and larger things we use resort delivery...so yes, we still had a bunch of stapled plastic bags!

Yellow elise

My wife and I just returned from WDW. Bought multiple items that were placed in a plastic bag and were never “upcharged” to a purchased bag. Not understanding why this is an issue for anyone not wanting to purchase a bag!
As long as they give you a choice! I don't mind paying for a bag if it's easy to fold up and put in your pocket for another time but don't want to pay $2+ each time I buy something in the park for a one time only (when on vacation) bag. In the UK we've paid for plastic bags for a few years but they are only 5p/10p and the revenue created goes to charities!
And yes, when at home I always take reusable bags to the supermarket! I prefer this option but in the parks I do not want to carry bulky bags around with me to use if and when I purchase something. I stay at the Beach Club so use resort delivery when possible so hopefully I will have a choice about what bag my purchases are packed in!

Last edited:

I am Timmy

The reason I like good ol' Disney plastic bags is that I have choices - I can carry it by the handle, I can fold it up and protect what I bought from the elements, I can take said folded bag and put it in my backpack without worrying that something else in my BP will smooge my purchase, I can wrap 2 delicious pretzels from Germany in one and put them in my BP to arrive safely at my resort (they won't let me send them back to my resort!), I can wrap one around my head when it's raining to protect my humidity flattened hair, I can tape them to a wall to decorate for that "Disney" bubble feel (reusable bags are too heavy for tape). The list goes on - I bet some of you can get even more creative. The reusable bags are too stiff to do most of this with. Talk about reusing! I still have several, I'm bringing them in Dec..

Brooklin Disney Dad

From The DIS: https://www.wdwinfo.com/news-storie...-reusable-shopping-bags-at-walt-disney-world/

Prices on re-usable shopping bags are being raised anywhere from 50% to 100% a few months after the products were introduced in the first place.

Anyone still want to argue that Disney is doing the re-usable bags because they care about the environment and not as a new revenue source?
I won’t argue with your point, but here in Ontario, Canada, most grocery stores/retail stores charge 5 cents for plastic bags. Likely to increase soon. Cash grab and additional revenue source? Absolutely! Solution...bring your own bags or reuse the ones that were once given out for free.

Yellow elise

I won’t argue with your point, but here in Ontario, Canada, most grocery stores/retail stores charge 5 cents for plastic bags. Likely to increase soon. Cash grab and additional revenue source? Absolutely! Solution...bring your own bags or reuse the ones that were once given out for free.
In the UK it's 5/10p now for a thin plastic bag, reusable bags are slightly more. That is not extortionate if you forget to bring your own. And that revenue goes to charities NOT the companies!

drizgirl

Theme parks are very different from grocery stores.

Lensman

What they should do is just raise the price of everything by their cost for the reusable bag and then call them complimentary. Be done with it.
This sounds reasonable and I feel like there's a better solution here somewhere. OTOH, I would think that giving out reusable bags for free would create too much incentive for people to get new ones for every purchase and create more waste. It's like how I can't help myself about taking tchotchkes at conferences and such. Coincidentally, my favorite ones are when companies give out free reusable bags!

I also like the idea that someone had about giving out a free reusable bag for purchases above a certain amount. This would also serve to incentivize people buying "a little bit more". It also reminds me of how luxury goods retailers would have elaborately designed disposable shopping bags. We still have our textured "Epi" LV shopping bags saved because the textured paper still impresses us.

Having them at the original nominal price seemed to make the most sense to me, though I guess if people were buying so many of them they couldn't keep them in stock it might have create a problem. I doubt this happened to that big a degree, though. Maybe they could sell unadorned or unattractive ones at cost?

Note: When I visited Beijing in 2009, stores charged for disposable plastic bags way back then, so it's can't be said that we're so far out on the curve here in the U.S in 2019.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Visited the Disney Store in my local mall. I live in Houston, where every store in the city (that I'm aware of) offers bags except the Disney Store, and I wasn't really planning on buying, so I left my reusable bags (all Disney park bags, because I'm a sucker) in the truck.

The only thing we bought was this:

The bag options presented to me:

1. Buy their special-edition canvas tote for $12; or
2. Buy their MASSIVE reusable bag for $5.

Asinine. Dumb. Ridiculous.

I just took the receipt and the kit and headed out. I was never even stopped by an employee, even though the receipt was in my pocket and I was just walking out with that product.

I actually felt bad for the folks in front of me in line that were bullied/shamed/forced into spending the extra $5-$12 on a bag they didn't want and didn't know they'd need until getting to the register with their merch.

(And when I say I didn't intend to buy, it's because the purpose of the trip was to let my daughter pick which new backpack she wanted, because you can't get it personalized in-store. So I promptly came home and ordered a backpack (and a bunch of other stuff) online, where it will come packaged in substantially more plastic and cardboard than a single-use bag. So anyone who thinks Disney is removing bags because of the environment and not as a money-saving measure is delusional.)

Last edited:

Yellow elise

Visited the Disney Store in my local mall. I live in Houston, where every store in the city (that I'm aware of) offers bags except the Disney Store, and I wasn't really planning on buying, so I left my reusable bags (all Disney park bags, because I'm a sucker) in the truck.

The only thing we bought was this:

View attachment 387167

The bag options presented to me:

1. Buy their special-edition canvas tote for $12; or
2. Buy their MASSIVE reusable bag for $5.

Asinine. Dumb. Ridiculous.

I just took the receipt and the kit and headed out. I was never even stopped by an employee, even though the receipt was in my pocket and I was just walking out with that product.

I actually felt bad for the folks in front of me in line that were bullied/shamed/forced into spending the extra $5-$12 on a bag they didn't want and didn't know they'd need until getting to the register with their merch.

(And when I say I didn't intend to buy, it's because the purpose of the trip was to let me daughter pick which new backpack she wanted, because you can't get it personalized in-store. So I promptly came home and ordered a backpack (and a bunch of other stuff) online, where it will come packaged in substantially more plastic and cardboard than a single-use bag. So anyone who thinks Disney is removing bags because of the environment and not as a money-saving measure is delusional.)
Totally agree. I love the Disney Parks but feel this is immoral and a step (yet another) too far!

Alice a

I've carried a cloth bag of two into the parks for years (there are always a few in my purse) - it's a win-win: the strap is long enough that I can hang it on my shoulder and my hands don't get sweaty and gross, I can pop it into the washing machine when I get home to remove the funk, they've got cute logos and fan references on them that always act as a conversation lubricant, and they're thin and don't take up much space. I'm a small woman and I can fit one in my pocket.

We bought a few of reusable bags in February, and they're great. I use them for shopping here at home and we all have the smaller ones as lunch bags. Pop them in the washing machine on cold and they come out clean.

Honestly, this is the norm here. What do all you people do with all these single-use plastic bags? Insulate your houses? Clothe your kids? You can line only so many small trash cans, and it's harder to transport groceries in them because you need a ton and they break like crazy. I'm seriously confused. Surely you all drive? If you're not a woman and don't carry a purse, is it that hard to keep some in your car???

I agree that the price increase is stupid and unnecessary, but so many of these arguments are anti-reusable bag, which is just weird to me. They're handy!

erasure fan1

I agree that the price increase is stupid and unnecessary, but so many of these arguments are anti-reusable bag, which is just weird to me. They're handy!
It's not that everyone is anti-reusable bags. They are anti Disney trying to claim "environmental" but when in reality, it is being done for extra profit. I don't think too many would be upset with them selling them at cost or a little over. But just don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

matt9112

Not in California, WalMart bags are a dime apiece. It really didn’t take people very long to change their behavior after throwaway bags were ‘banned,’ everyone takes reusable bags w/ them when they shop here.

doesn't make it right because people adapt of course they do its what humanity has been good at. telling somebody how to live is wrong period end of discussion full stop.

Dave B

I've carried a cloth bag of two into the parks for years (there are always a few in my purse) - it's a win-win: the strap is long enough that I can hang it on my shoulder and my hands don't get sweaty and gross, I can pop it into the washing machine when I get home to remove the funk, they've got cute logos and fan references on them that always act as a conversation lubricant, and they're thin and don't take up much space. I'm a small woman and I can fit one in my pocket.

We bought a few of reusable bags in February, and they're great. I use them for shopping here at home and we all have the smaller ones as lunch bags. Pop them in the washing machine on cold and they come out clean.

Honestly, this is the norm here. What do all you people do with all these single-use plastic bags? Insulate your houses? Clothe your kids? You can line only so many small trash cans, and it's harder to transport groceries in them because you need a ton and they break like crazy. I'm seriously confused. Surely you all drive? If you're not a woman and don't carry a purse, is it that hard to keep some in your car???

They are great for picking up dog poop

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom