News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

aladdin2007

I can’t imagine them actually being able to phase out single use bags. They are going to have lines of people complaining that they’re being forced to buy bags to carry their $250 worth of purchases around the park.

People will line up like sheep to pay $25 a day for G+ and not lose a wink of sleep, but make them pay for a bag and I promise it will be a nightmare.
agree, plus they tried this once before and it was massive complaints and outcry. Not only that but you cant keep those dumb big reusable things closed when your going on attractions and stuff its a real pain. The plastic you can at least roll down.

Brian

Sorry to necro this thread but didn't want to make a new thread since it's related to this. Rumor has it CMs are saying Disney is phasing out plastic bags and you will need to purchase reusable bags if you need a bag.

Becoming the norm everywhere I think, but I guess it might be a sudden change soon.
This happened at the Disney Stores prior to their big wave of closures. At least at shopping malls it was somewhat within reason to expect shoppers to come in with reusable bags. Reusable bags are not something most people will think to pack for their vacation, and the "solution" being to just buy a bag will not sit well with some.

Though I'm told merchandise coordinators will be able to give comped reusable bags to those who make a big enough scene.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
This happened at the Disney Stores prior to their big wave of closures. At least at shopping malls it was somewhat within reason to expect shoppers to come in with reusable bags. Reusable bags are not something most people will think to pack for their vacation, and the "solution" being to just buy a bag will not sit well with some.

Though I'm told merchandise coordinators will be able to give comped reusable bags to those who make a big enough scene.

There’s going to be a big enough scene that they’re quickly scrap this idea. They’ve tried it before to utter failure. I don’t know why they’d bring it back.

Brian

I don’t know why they’d bring it back.
ayovPyr_460s.jpg

castlecake2.0

There’s aggressive targets trying to be reached by 2030 for the amount of waste the company generates. This is part of that program. Another behind scenes one that happened recently is that culinary is no longer allowed to use plastic spoons for tastings in the cooking process. This is just the start, there’s more to come. Yes it’s annoying at first, but it’s a change I’m sure people will figure out eventually. Most places around the world are already making this change.

Animaniac93-98

Most places around the world are already making this change.

But you visit most places more often than WDW, which sees many one-and-done, or once-every-few-years type customers. It will also take some time for Disney to set the expectation for people to bring bags with them on vacation, something most people don't do.

For what people are already paying for admission and merch, this will look more like nickle-and-diming than waste reduction for most guests.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
There’s aggressive targets trying to be reached by 2030 for the amount of waste the company generates. This is part of that program. Another behind scenes one that happened recently is that culinary is no longer allowed to use plastic spoons for tastings in the cooking process. This is just the start, there’s more to come. Yes it’s annoying at first, but it’s a change I’m sure people will figure out eventually. Most places around the world are already making this change.
Someone should probably show them the research that requiring reusable bags leads to more plastic consumption and CO2 emissions, not less, because the reusable bags themselves are resource hogs and people are terrible at remembering to bring them, even where it’s been required by law for years. You need to reuse that reusable bag dozens, hundreds, even for cotton bags thousands of times to save CO2 vs a disposable bag.

Touchdown

Someone should probably show them the research that requiring reusable bags leads to more plastic consumption and CO2 emissions, not less, because the reusable bags themselves are resource hogs and people are terrible at remembering to bring them, even where it’s been required by law for years. You need to reuse that reusable bag dozens, hundreds, even for cotton bags thousands of times to save CO2 vs a disposable bag.
Indeed, seeing as FL is in a wet environment, the most eco friendly bag are paper ones.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

So, instead of using a sanitary disposable spoon (which is the SOP in kitchens all over the globe for health and safety purposes) we are going to increase the number of metal spoons required to be ordered/used and increase the water and chemical output used to wash said spoons each night?

Which one really ends up being more green? The disposable spoon in the trash or the additional wastes resources by having to wash an additional 5,000+ spoons across property each day?

castlecake2.0

So, instead of using a sanitary disposable spoon (which is the SOP in kitchens all over the globe for health and safety purposes) we are going to increase the number of metal spoons required to be ordered/used and increase the water and chemical output used to wash said spoons each night?

Which one really ends up being more green? The disposable spoon in the trash or the additional wastes resources by having to wash an additional 5,000+ spoons across property each day?
According to Disney’s research, option one

LSLS

Ah, you forgot option 3. More mass produced food and eliminating the need to taste test with a spoon.

donaldtoo

When I worked at our local mall Disney Store from ‘09-‘13 (1+ year as a Lead Manager), we always had reusable bags as an up sell, or even free depending on purchase price point.
But, we still always had drawers full of small, medium, large, and x-large plastic bags.

On a related environmental note…
We had friends back in the mid 80’s that were planning a family. They were initially planning on using cloth diapers. They ended up settling on disposable, because of all the water/wastewater, electricity they’d be using regarding cleaning the dirty cloth diapers.

Also, we recently got a new waste receptacle at our house for “compostables”. And years ago already for “recyclables”.
So now, instead of one gasoline-powered truck coming to our home once a week to pick up the “trash”, we now have three gasoline-powered trucks coming to our house three times a week…!!!!! :hilarious:
Not to mention the need of the extra utilities, facilities and workforce to process it all…hey, but we’re goin’ green…!!!!! 🤪:hilarious:

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

Bamboo spoons would be by far the most eco friendly option. They’re widely available.

cjkeating

In case anyone is wondering about the practicalities of this Disneyland Paris has not had plastic bags since 2019 and the world hasn't ended over here.

And as it's related since February all 'one use' food packaging for eat in meals is now against French law, so for example if you have an eat in quick service meal everything is now reusable. Not the greatest photo (I found online) but you can see how the Stark Factory food is presented. Also just for fun look what McDonald's looks like in France now. Personally I think it's a huge improvement.

pizza-stark-factory.jpgmcd france.jpg

Smiley/OCD

See, that’s what makes me shake my head…If TWDC REALLY wanted to set an example about their carbon footprint, they’d do away with those total waste of plastics, otherwise known as clamshell packaging…they could just put all their subpar plastic toys in a cardboard box and eliminate all that plastic, but NO let’s promote our merchandise and leave it up to the saps, I mean our consumers to deal with the disposal…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom