News Remy's Ratatouille Adventure coming to Epcot

Bender123

Maybe I’m being dramatic but I honestly think Nemo is one of the worst rides at WDW. Pointless and annoying retelling of the movie that doesn’t bring anything new to the table.

Its not exactly like the 10 years of a wall being there was some sort of dream scenario either...I hate to admit it, but Nemo is actually better than the original Sea Cabs. The one part that I miss was the hydrolators and they were more a novelty/crowd spacing device than an actual attraction. They served the same purpose as the stretching room...story, immersion and a way to make you feel like you aren't just standing in line (yes...I know DL stretch has a purpose, but that's not the case at WDW).

As a whole, Seabase Alpha was a better pavilion, but Nemo is a better singular ride, excluding the rest of the pavilion. No matter what, gotta agree with @marni1971 that its better than being walled off. Even Stich has value in that its "better than nothing" but I wouldn't argue if you disagree with me on that one...

mikejs78

Premium Member
Its not exactly like the 10 years of a wall being there was some sort of dream scenario either...I hate to admit it, but Nemo is actually better than the original Sea Cabs. The one part that I miss was the hydrolators and they were more a novelty/crowd spacing device than an actual attraction. They served the same purpose as the stretching room...story, immersion and a way to make you feel like you aren't just standing in line (yes...I know DL stretch has a purpose, but that's not the case at WDW).

As a whole, Seabase Alpha was a better pavilion, but Nemo is a better singular ride, excluding the rest of the pavilion. No matter what, gotta agree with @marni1971 that its better than being walled off. Even Stich has value in that its "better than nothing" but I wouldn't argue if you disagree with me on that one...
I believe @marni1971 has indicated that overall park satisfaction scores actually go down on days when Stitch was open vs when it was closed. So in this singular case, nothing, the absence of an attraction, may actually be better than Stitch.

Bender123

I believe @marni1971 has indicated that overall park satisfaction scores actually go down on days when Stitch was open vs when it was closed. So in this singular case, nothing, the absence of an attraction, may actually be better than Stitch.

Well...the only time its open is during peak season, so its already insanely crowded, which will lower satisfaction scores.

sedati

* What if Frozen Ever After was different. Instead of being the ride it currently is, it's about Anna and Elsa leaving Arandale and visiting the neighboring land of Norway to learn about their customs and culture?

Hmm...

"Look Anna, behold the majestic fjords of Norway!"
"Just like in Arendelle."
"No, it's nothing like Arendelle. Norway has NOTHING TO DO WITH ARENDELLE! Anyway, look at the beautiful Stave Churches."
"Like the one right in the courtyard of our home?"
"No, nothing like that one. See the beautiful viking longboats?"
"Like the one you have a model of in your room?"
"No, nothing like... never mind- see the beautiful rosmaling?"
"Just like..."
"ARRGHH!!!" What about the trolls, Norway is rich in fantastical lore."
"They remind me a lot of Kristoff's family."
"NO! NO! NO! Look, here's a map... I want you to point to Norway. Good, now point to Arendelle.... Well?"
"I did."
"You didn't even move your finger."
"That's because..."
ZAP! ICE POWERS! CHING! ICE POWERS! "I'm not going to thaw out you or our guests in the boat until you all recognize the huge differences between our two very distinct lands and cultures! If you need me, I'll be in the post-show theater... alone."

(sorry, I couldn't help myself. You actually make a good point.)

mikejs78

Premium Member
The whole problem with examples like yours is that they confuse the focus. The characters grafted onto the story would be just that, something unnecessary added on to the story. That contradicts the whole purpose of using pre-established characters.
I don't disagree with you. I'd prefer less movie IP in general. But, if they are hell-bent with putting IP everywhere, I'd rather they do it in a thematically consistent way. The point of my post was that it is possible to do so. They just too often (especially when it comes to Epcot) take the lazy, non-thematically appropriate way out.

smile

IP is just a vehicle for telling a story. You can utilize ANY IP to conceivably fit them as theme and characters are separate. Imagine if you will:

* What if Frozen Ever After was different. Instead of being the ride it currently is, it's about Anna and Elsa leaving Arandale and visiting the neighboring land of Norway to learn about their customs and culture?
* What if GotG was about the Guardians teaching about the various forms of energy in the universe, and just used the characters to add a little fun, much like what Ellen was used for?

* Nemo was all about Marine life rather than "finding Nemo" again?

My point is that IP has very little to do with theme, and these things could plausibly be done to meet corporate mandates but still thematically fit into Epcot. Instead they often take the lazy way out.

that type of thing used to be rampant (not just disney) and, 8 out of 10 times, was total cheese...
of the 8, invariably, the message is either forced and trite or both on the one hand and/or deflating to the core audience ip on the other.

i actually think that's the only type of thing that could make matters worse
- granted, there's them two times, but that's high risk factor :p

much as i may detest the guardians invading the american adventure pavilion, i'd sure as heck rather them be singing hit me with your best shot than yankee doodle!

do not give up on uoe and oh muh goodness don't put a guardians coaster in :rolleyes:
but if you do, focus on making it the best dang guardians coaster in uoe it could possibly be, relation to anything else completely optional

roll my eyes at the whole diplomatic angle, but would hang my head if there was some forced message inserted that didn't do either justice.

lazyboy97o

I don't disagree with you. I'd prefer less movie IP in general. But, if they are hell-bent with putting IP everywhere, I'd rather they do it in a thematically consistent way. The point of my post was that it is possible to do so. They just too often take the lazy, non-thematically appropriate way out.
I’m saying it’s not consistent and is really no different. You can shove any characters onto one of these stories because that story is now secondary to the character. Elsa and Anna can visit Norway. Tony Stark can visit Norway. Winnie the Pooh can visit Norway. In every instance the entire presentation will be shaped to fit the characteristics of the character.

mikejs78

Premium Member
that type of thing used to be rampant (not just disney) and, 8 out of 10 times, was total cheese...
of the 8, invariably, the message is either forced and trite or both on the one hand and/or deflating to the core audience ip on the other.

Can you give some examples?

do not give up on uoe and oh muh goodness don't put a guardians coaster in :rolleyes:
but if you do, focus on making it the best dang guardians coaster in uoe it could possibly be, relation to anything else completely optional

Not what I was saying. At all.
I’m saying it’s not consistent and is really no different. You can shove any characters onto one of these stories because that story is now secondary to the character. Elsa and Anna can visit Norway. Tony Stark can visit Norway. Winnie the Pooh can visit Norway. In every instance the entire presentation will be shaped to fit the characteristics of the character.

Maybe, but it doesn't mean it can't be effective. Great Moments in American History in Liberty Square is a good example of this, IMO.

smile

Can you give some examples?

a pointed example resided in the land pavilion

Not what I was saying. At all.

oh, i know - didn't mean it that way, just generally

Maybe, but it doesn't mean it can't be effective. Great Moments in American History in Liberty Square is a good example of this, IMO.

that is certainly true and it undoubtedly is (tis quite glossy tho) - one of the greatest shows in history! specifically the live-action muppets parts...
for the most part, they've been well handled in the parks... what little there is :confused::(

trainplane3

Issue? Yes.

Not as big as if the pavilion had been shuttered though.
While I'm worn out from constant Pixar/Disney animation cramming, at least Nemo continues the idea of protecting the oceans and has some small bits of education in there.

Then again, anything would be better then another WoL situation. (Which I guess the Seas would've been closed before WoL, if Nemo didn't happen).

GlacierGlacier

It was sarcasm to the fact that the past few pages have all been about Epcot’s theme and the removal of old things
Which is a decidedly ironic point considering the ratatatata addition doesn't remove anything.

They were talking about the implementation of IP, but they also said this was a good one.

I feel if you want to complain about IP implementation, go find the thread related to the specific IP Implementation and rant there.

No rantatoullies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom