Rat bit man at MK. Man sues. No comment from rat.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
HAHA! In all seriousness, we never encountered anything and we visited 3 years in a row. I'll hedge my bets by doing a room check now. I think it's incredible that I can even say that I never observed any of these yucky critters at a park of this size. My sister got pooped on by a bird when we went as kids but that was hilarious.
If you keep your eyes open, you can see all kinds of wildlife at WDW. Deer, alligators, turkeys, hogs, otters, armadillos and about a dozen different kinds of snakes and birds are all over the place.

Dory71

HAHA! In all seriousness, we never encountered anything and we visited 3 years in a row. I'll hedge my bets by doing a room check now. I think it's incredible that I can even say that I never observed any of these yucky critters at a park of this size. My sister got pooped on by a bird when we went as kids but that was hilarious.
We have seen a rat twice in all of our visits. Once by the Diamond Horseshoe restaurant in Magic Kingdom and once in Epcot. My husband also got a present from a bird in Hollywood Studios. We jokingly called it a "crappy" trip.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If you keep your eyes open, you can see all kinds of wildlife at WDW. Deer, alligators, turkeys, hogs, otters, armadillos and about a dozen different kinds of snakes and birds are all over the place.

I've seen every creature you listed but a hog. An armadillo decided to join my pack of runners during the Dark Side Half last year as we were running on Bear Island to the waste facilities - several female runners shrieked when they saw it. :rolleyes: The poor animal then froze until someone chased it into the tree line.

Watched an otter playing in the water at Disney Springs at the bridge crossing from SSR to the boat ramps at Marketplace. Was surprised how big it was when it crawled out of the water and ran into the nearby trees. Even witnessed 2 rabbits making more rabbits...

If wildlife freaks you out, I'd advise not coming to Florida.

jaklgreen

Pretending was REALLY working for me. Now I need to look for resorts that are less likely to have pests. Second floor rooms? Room search? I am relatively sheltered from creepy crawlers where I live. Snakes nope. Rats nope. Gators nope nope.

One year we were staying at Beach club and I was out on the balcony. Several rooms away I saw this HUGE snake slither its way up to the third floor balcony. I was kind of in shock at first but then I backed into my room and closed the door. I always look out onto the balcony first before I open the door now.

Dizneykid

Oh I don't doubt it. Since I can no longer pretend, where were these snakes and gators?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
One year we were staying at Beach club and I was out on the balcony. Several rooms away I saw this HUGE snake slither its way up to the third floor balcony. I was kind of in shock at first but then I backed into my room and closed the door. I always look out onto the balcony first before I open the door now.
Was that during The Jungle Book promotion?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Oh I don't doubt it. Since I can no longer pretend, where were these snakes and gators?

Alligators are in just about every body of water in Florida - rivers, lakes, ponds, golf course water hazards, your swimming pool, marshes, etc.

Snakes are everywhere also. Some inhabit water bodies (water moccasins), woods, fields, trees, backyards, roads, etc.

These are the fauna that have been on my property or in my neighborhood - and I'm about one mile from I-10:

Deer (really love it when they decide to have a party by my bedroom window at 3AM), foxes, coyotes, hawks, owls, wood storks, Canadian geese, racoons, possums, armadillos, snakes, turtles. And most are regular visitors. Haven't had a bear yet, but they are around.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

All good with those critters. Rats though? No thanks. Hard pass. I need to go back to blissful ignorance on that one.

NelleBelle

Ah, nostalgic memories of rodent experiences...
  1. Odyssey restaurant, in the window box in 1992 (this was a mouse, actually),
  2. Magic Kingdom, falling out a tree next to the castle (Liberty Square side),
  3. Near Imagination, falling out of a tree,
  4. Speedway gas station (near Hollywood Studios), across my feet (a limo driver watched the whole thing like a TV show and told us it was Mickey Mouse),
  5. Animal Kingdom, in front of the Tusker House,
  6. Near Imagination, in front of the bathrooms...
but it really isn't Disney's fault. Two rats have fallen out of the sky in my backyard, which I assume falcons dropped. Oh! And then there was the time I watched a snake chase a rat across my fence like a Tom and Jerry cartoon. As long as they are not venomous, I have grown to like snakes quite a bit, actually. Seriously, though, I feel terrible for the man who got bit by a rat.
With your kind of luck, you need to buy a lottery ticket!! ;)

Sonconato

With your kind of luck, you need to buy a lottery ticket!! ;)
Coming from New England, this was hard to handle at first. One story I forgot: my husband was moving some concrete blocks in our backyard and half a dozen rats started jumping out of the holes Ratatouille-style. Now at Disney, my son and I look for hidden black rat boxes instead of hidden Mickeys.

NelleBelle

Coming from New England, this was hard to handle at first. One story I forgot: my husband was moving some concrete blocks in our backyard and half a dozen rats started jumping out of the holes Ratatouille-style. Now at Disney, my son and I look for hidden black rat boxes instead of hidden Mickeys.
Ack! No thank you!! Is that kitty in your avatar not a very good "mouser"? ;)

TeriofTerror

Last May, my friends and I were walking from the GF to the Poly. I saw a small snake on the path ahead of us and stopped dead in my tracks. (This should have alerted my entire party, as I'm very "full steam ahead" at WDW.) Monica and I carefully and gingerly gave the snake a wide berth. But before we could warn him, our friend Brett (who was texting and not looking at where he was going) stepped on the snake. That snake was ticked. A very loud and colorful expletive escaped my mouth before I realized it. I'm quite sure the little old ladies behind us were more scared of me than they were of the snake!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Pretty much everywhere. If you see a body of water, including swimming pools, in the state of Florida it is fairly safe to assume there is at least one alligator in it.

Snakes can be pretty much anywhere, but nearly all but the rattle snakes will do everything they can to get away from you. Rattle snakes will sometimes hold their ground, but odds are they will run as well.

And here is the catch...you think the rats are bad now? Remove all the snakes and gators and Disney will look like this...

giphy.gif

GCTales

The Rat Speaks!! Gives a different point of view on the incident.

Lawyer for the Rat, Mr. Steeley "Will" Cheetum of the firm Dewey, Cheetum, and Howe spoke on behalf of his client's family today at a press conference.

"My client was quietly and innocently perusing the products in the Disney shop where the incident occured, when he was viciously and without warning kicked. When, as a result of being flung through the air by the force of the blow by an as yet unidentified party, he landed on Ms Halderman's wheelchair, he was disoriented and in physical pain as a result of the initial unprovoked assault on his person. He attempted to get to a higher location to determine where he was, in an effort to find a safe space to escape the attackers. Mr. Halderman continued this unjustified, brutal, and horrific assault on my innocent client, attempting to severely injure and kill my client. My client merely nipped Mr. Halderman in self defense and in an effort to stop the assault and get him to release my client. Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful in his efforts to escape and preserve his life and eventually succumbed to his injuries. He was a kind and loving father and husband who did not deserve to be treated in this manner."

"We are counter suing the Halderman's for libel, slander, medical / veterinary expenses, disposal fees, pain and suffering and related damages, and assault. My client has been brutally killed, incurred medical expense in the "treatment effort" of the injuries, and suffered physical handicap and impairment, disfigurement, disposal fees after he succumbed to his injuries,, His family has experienced and will continue to experience mental anguish, inconvenience, loss of capacity for the enjoyment of life, his working ability was terminated; his wife will lose any and all conjugal services from her spouse and is left to try to find a way to support and care for their 3,926 children without thier father."

"In addition, we are meeting in the near future with the Sheriff's office to discuss pursuing criminal charges against the Halderman's for assault and battery, and 1st degree murder. It is our hope that this will serve as a lesson to all who wish to continue this hate against rats."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom