***Rare*** Original Disney-MGM/Sunset Boulevard/Muppet Studios Expansion Plans Circa Aug. 1989

britain

From what I know about it, I think the Tracey ride would’ve been an E that would succeed regardless of the IP. A lot of information came out about the Paris (clone) version.

Yes, but would it have survived the early 2000's purge on shooting galleries?

Ldno

I know it‘s a gigantic fat chance but given how MGM(for 5 billion) is for sale at the moment and imagining if Disney were to buy them, can they go back to Disney’s-MGM Studios? I was looking up at maps, yesterday from the 90’s before RNR opened up, online and try to mix and match the park layout from what it was then and now wow, still mind blowing how much galaxy’s edge and Toy Story land took over the backlot tour and the famous Xmas lights.

I feel nostalgic look at old park pictures I guess and just thinking how the entrance of Galaxy’s edge and muppets 3D, completely changed up the avenue of the America’s 180 degrees

ppete1975

I know it‘s a gigantic fat chance but given how MGM(for 5 billion) is for sale at the moment and imagining if Disney were to buy them, can they go back to Disney’s-MGM Studios? I was looking up at maps, yesterday from the 90’s before RNR opened up, online and try to mix and match the park layout from what it was then and now wow, still mind blowing how much galaxy’s edge and Toy Story land took over the backlot tour and the famous Xmas lights.

I feel nostalgic look at old park pictures I guess and just thinking how the entrance of Galaxy’s edge and muppets 3D, completely changed up the avenue of the America’s 180 degrees
i dont see disney acquiring anyone for a long time, might be the opposite

Jrb1979

First I will say I love reading about stuff like this. I've always been fascinated with planned projects and former projects. What gets me is how they rarely come back to shelved projects. I look at World Showcase and all the planned projects that got scrapped and will never see the light of day.

Ldno

First I will say I love reading about stuff like this. I've always been fascinated with planned projects and former projects. What gets me is how they rarely come back to shelved projects. I look at World Showcase and all the planned projects that got scrapped and will never see the light of day.
It goes both ways in my opinion, cancelled projects, or rides that have been scrapped already, It’s easy to forget how the icon for Hollywood studios was the famous Mickey Ears on the water tower but now it’s completely gone and forgotten.

I was young enough to ride Body Wars but not to Old to remember it also. Even that catchy Universe of Energy song after the ride And when living with the land song was sung by the country singer.

Makes me imagine the next 20 years how much they will change and what they can fit in and add to what’s currently available, at which some point then they will look back and say oh look toy story land is soo old and vintage 😭

I currently Experience this with the original Universal Studios, for example they released a retro line of their opening day rides on a tshirt, face mask and a vintage windbreaker jacket, I had that jacket growing up but just seeing the old rides such as Kongfrontation, Jaws, Back to the future, the Monsters and to think how much it has changed 180 is just mind blowing to me Just as canceled projects of what could had been.

jumpinjamie

Muppets, Pee-wee Herman, and Roger Rabbit are among some of my all time favorites, and consequently are now some of my daughter's favorites. This alternate universe park would have been amazing! This is the first time I've heard of the proposed Pee-wee Herman show, has this ever been covered anywhere else? I know Paul Reubens was in talks for his own Pee-wee theme park in CA at one point. He was so protective of the character, I wonder if he would have actually performed live as back then they commonly had "celebrities" doing ceremonies and Q & A shows.

mergatroid

Muppets, Pee-wee Herman, and Roger Rabbit are among some of my all time favorites, and consequently are now some of my daughter's favorites. This alternate universe park would have been amazing! This is the first time I've heard of the proposed Pee-wee Herman show, has this ever been covered anywhere else? I know Paul Reubens was in talks for his own Pee-wee theme park in CA at one point. He was so protective of the character, I wonder if he would have actually performed live as back then they commonly had "celebrities" doing ceremonies and Q & A shows.

I'm pretty sure in today's climate all ties with Reubens would have been cut.

jumpinjamie

They brought him back to play Rex in Oga’s Cantina just a few years ago, so I don’t think other attractions featuring him would automatically be a problem.
His arrest happened in August 1991 and when I visited as a kid in November 1992 they still had a video with him and Mel Gibson on the backlot tour though it probably didn’t last too much longer after that. He also supposedly had a free pass +3 to the parks for doing the original Star Tours and it was taken away when they redid the ride. I wouldn’t be surprised if they didn’t gave it back for SWGE because I know someone who did a famous tv show that became an attraction and they were never offered that perk.

Rambozo

I love this stuff man.

Of course the Muppet's and Mickey are long term timeless IP's. They could have definitely been done in any decade. The problem with Hollywood is it tried to do too many untimeless ideas and projects (Mel Brooks, David Copperfield, Dick Tracy, etc). Live action movies don't usual stay relevant unless they are a part of a franchise (Marvel, Star Wars, etc).

Last edited:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Live action movies don't usual stay relevant unless they are a part of a franchise
Titanic, Elf, Edward Scissorhands, Marley & Me, The Help, Grease, Legally Blonde, Forrest Gump, Beetlejuice, The Notebook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Home Alone, Saving Private Ryan, The Sandlot, My Girl, The Mighty Ducks, The Goonies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Holes, The Sound of Music, The Princess Bride, Footloose, Groundhog Day, Young Frankenstein, A Christmas Story, Jaws, The Shining, Pulp Fiction, Casablanca, Little Shop of Horrors, The Breakfast Club, Die Hard, Airplane, Sixteen Candles, Blazing Saddles, Ghostbusters, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, West Side Story, The Godfather, Singin' in the Rain, The Shawshank Redemption, E.T., Back to the Future, To Kill a Mockingbird, It's a Wonderful Life, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Alien, Jurassic Park, Mary Poppins, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Braveheart, Parasite, The Exorcist, Terminator

Just to name a tiny few... And even if they're part of a "franchise," that franchise only started because of the unending popularity and success of the original film.

DrewmanS

What do you think the Muppets would of turned into if Jim lived a bit longer and got them all settled within Disney better than they were after his death?
Think about what Apple would be if Steve Jobs never returned. Jobs and Walt Disney laid a foundation/vision for others to build upon. Jim would have established the Muppets culture and blueprint within Disney ensuring a lasting legacy. His untimely death left the franchise effectively rudderless.

HauntedMansionFLA

Titanic, Elf, Edward Scissorhands, Marley & Me, The Help, Grease, Legally Blonde, Forrest Gump, Beetlejuice, The Notebook, Mrs. Doubtfire, Home Alone, Saving Private Ryan, The Sandlot, My Girl, The Mighty Ducks, The Goonies, The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Holes, The Sound of Music, The Princess Bride, Footloose, Groundhog Day, Young Frankenstein, A Christmas Story, Jaws, The Shining, Pulp Fiction, Casablanca, Little Shop of Horrors, The Breakfast Club, Die Hard, Airplane, Sixteen Candles, Blazing Saddles, Ghostbusters, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, West Side Story, The Godfather, Singin' in the Rain, The Shawshank Redemption, E.T., Back to the Future, To Kill a Mockingbird, It's a Wonderful Life, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Alien, Jurassic Park, Mary Poppins, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Braveheart, Parasite, The Exorcist, Terminator

Just to name a tiny few... And even if they're part of a "franchise," that franchise only started because of the unending popularity and success of the original film.
Does Disney own all of those IP’s??

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Does Disney own all of those IP’s??
I don't remember "Disney" being mentioned... Nor does it matter. The original post referred to normal live action movies don't stand the test of time. Which is just flat out false. If Disney has a hard time making good live action movies, then that's their problem.

Any other questions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom