Ralph Attraction in the Parks...

HauntedMansionFLA

Both Ralph movies -- using the ballpark equation to figure out the profitability of a movie during its theatrical window -- barely broke even. They did each bring in half a billion, but they were also very expensive to make.

Which is fine for Disney. That meant all the aftermarket (merchandise, DVDs, Cable, Streaming, Broadcast, theme park leverage) is all (mostly) gravy. And considering the billion dollars in ticket sales, they can expect a hefty aftermarket.

Both Ralphs got fairly good reviews from critics and audience (the first doing slightly better).

This puts Ralph in the position of being fine to use in the theme parks if it fits. But, it doesn't mean there's any hair-on-fire running around trying to figure out how to immediately parkify him as there was and is for Frozen or Marvel.

Ralph & Vanellope show up in the special parades, HEA, a 'permanent' M&G spot, and a barely themed kiddie playground. I'm sure they'll show up in this Spring's DHS projection show highlighting Disney animation.

According to insiders Ralph was once considered as a Stitch replacement, but that's off the table. And a Sugar Rush overlay was considered for Speedway, but that's off the table. Ralph seems ready-made for Tomorrowland, especially complementing TRON. But, TL's problems are another story.
Ralph is going bye bye at the playground and being replaced by the new flavor of the month, Toy Story 4.

Sir_Cliff

Keep in mind in the early and mid 2000s Disney's picture business wasn't doing so hot. Now they have a much deeper arsenal of IP to choose from.
Lilo & Stitch also did better when adjusted for inflation and spawned a character that is probably still moving more merchandise than WiR. As we all know, the love for Cars also comes from that franchise's ability to move merchandise.

I like the films, but, as you say, Disney has a very deep well of IP and WiR is not one of their stronger performers. Coco, for example, grossed more domestically and internationally than WiR2.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Keep in mind in the early and mid 2000s Disney's picture business wasn't doing so hot. Now they have a much deeper arsenal of IP to choose from.
WiR is not one of their stronger performers.

Both Ralphs scored significantly higher than the average critics' and audience's scores for all Disney animation and for Disney animation since 2000. Both Ralphs had a higher BO take than the average Disney animated feature since 2000.

There is no metric in which Ralph is an underperformer except for theatrical window profitability, which was due to its high budget.

Or, let me point out: Disney Animation has historically been loathe to put out a sequel. But they did so for Ralph. So, obviously, Disney sees it as a strong performer. They wouldn't have done a WiR2 if their internal data didn't say it was worth it.

One shouldn't use one's subjective evaluation of a property as a gauge of what the general audience or Disney thinks of the property.

Sir_Cliff

Both Ralphs scored significantly higher than the average critics' and audience's scores for all Disney animation and for Disney animation since 2000. Both Ralphs had a higher BO take than the average Disney animated feature since 2000.

There is no metric in which Ralph is an underperformer except for theatrical window profitability, which was due to its high budget.

Or, let me point out: Disney Animation has historically been loathe to put out a sequel. But they did so for Ralph. So, obviously, Disney sees it as a strong performer. They wouldn't have done a WiR2 if their internal data didn't say it was worth it.

One shouldn't use one's subjective evaluation of a property as a gauge of what the general audience or Disney thinks of the property.
Hmm, ok. I was just thinking of recent films from WDFA, and the WiR franchise doesn't seem to me to stand out as one of the stronger performers considering Frozen, Zootopia, Moana, Big Hero 6, and Tangled all outgrossed both films in the US and most of them have been largely ignored in the parks. Then you have all the Pixar properties they could use for attractions.

I don't think it's unsuccessful by any stretch and I'd be happy to see WiR in the parks, but I also don't think it particularly stands out as a franchise they would be rushing into the parks unless a) it is moving a lot of merchandise, or b) a particularly good proposal comes along.

DisneyDodo

Disney churns out popular movie IPs at a faster rate than it could realistically integrate them into the parks. This means many worthy IPs will never get their own attraction/land, while others will see extended (i.e. multi-decade long) waits. There are many factors that go into which IPs make it in (e.g. box office success, merchandise sales, thematic fit, attraction proposals, future plans for the IP, etc.). It's certainly not inconceivable that Ralph will eventually get a more meaningful presence at WDW, but there's no reason to expect anything.

Thelazer

"Disney churns out popular movie IPs at a faster rate than it could realistically integrate them into the parks."

Thus why the original Epcot didn't use IP's...
(But most of us already knew that..)

WDWFREAK53

They should have put a WiR atraction on tomorowlands arcade, Idk if it fits the "tomorrow" theme. But it fits the arcade theme, and could have been adapted to fit that retro-tomorrow kind of theme of tomorrowland

It's too bad that the arcade couldn't have been used as a "portal."

You enter the Tron attraction through the arcade....and for a slightly less thrilling, more family attraction, you could enter the WiR attraction. Game Central Station would've been a pretty cool way to do it...riding through all of the retro video games.

EDIT: Doing an attraction like this which would replace the Indy Speedway would be a nice bridge between Fantasyland and Tomorrowland.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom