Raising the Prices at Le Cellier

herc

Original Poster
Well I'm done with this restaurant for dinner. Even if I used the Tables in Wonderland card, they just priced themselves out of it for me. They raised the prices significantly: the same cheddar cheese soup from $6.99 to $9. It's the same frickin soup. The creme brulee from $6.99 to $8, sorbet $6.49 to $8 (the same stuff), the sides have gone up, cremed spinach and mac and cheese $4.99 to $7 (the same stuff). The filet mignon went up to $41 from $34.99.
There is no reason to do this. They are just gouging now. I can see if they added the new items and they were alot of money, but these are the same items.
I'll be going for lunch on the DDP in August. Forget dinner.
Another thing that they screw up. Pretty soon all decent restaurants will be 2 meal tickets. Even with TiW card, it is just too expensive.

WDW_Emily

Le Cellier is on the top of my sister and mine's list for our next trip. We will still be going because we never went before but these prices are ridiculous. $9 for soup? It's not even that big!

darthspielberg

Well it did just become a Signature dining option yesterday, so its not really much of a surprise. Signature always holds a higher price tag.

Scuttle

This place isn't even that good! Please anyone who hasn't been here DO NOT GO! It is very overrated. For these prices go to cali grill or citricos. I could not give better advice as a WDW frequent visitor.

darthspielberg

I dunno, I loved it when I went. The Dinner menu is changing though, so maybe my enjoyment is now misplaced, but the atmosphere and service were fantastic, not to mention delicious food.

MrsWhiffo

Tattooed Disney Geekster
Geeze, you lot should try eating in the UK. Thats pretty much average for a chain restaurant, not even fine dining.

Another reason why I wish I lived in the US :(

graphite1326

This place isn't even that good! Please anyone who hasn't been here DO NOT GO! It is very overrated. For these prices go to cali grill or citricos. I could not give better advice as a WDW frequent visitor.

I agree. I went and just don't understand the hype.

BeachClubNut

Well I'm done with this restaurant for dinner. Even if I used the Tables in Wonderland card, they just priced themselves out of it for me. They raised the prices significantly: the same cheddar cheese soup from $6.99 to $9. It's the same frickin soup. The creme brulee from $6.99 to $8, sorbet $6.49 to $8 (the same stuff), the sides have gone up, cremed spinach and mac and cheese $4.99 to $7 (the same stuff). The filet mignon went up to $41 from $34.99.
There is no reason to do this. They are just gouging now. I can see if they added the new items and they were alot of money, but these are the same items.
I'll be going for lunch on the DDP in August. Forget dinner.
Another thing that they screw up. Pretty soon all decent restaurants will be 2 meal tickets. Even with TiW card, it is just too expensive.

Go To Yachtsman Steakhouse at Yacht and Beach Club, no comparison, priced as high as new Le Celliur Menu but well worth it. Le Celliur is in no way shape or form of a Signature Restaurant.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've always enjoyed Le Cellier and will continue to. The pricing doesn't seem that bad. I suspect the reason they went Signature was the pricing may have been artificially lower when they were non-Signature to remain competitive with other restaurants. Now they're Signature, adding a more extensive wine list and a broader menu sounds reasonable to me.

I have two dinners booked for my August trip and am thoroughly looking forward to it!

menamechris

I don't know why - but this is definetly one of the most popular restaurants on property. If you are not a resort guest, you can look for a reservation at the 180th day and not find one, because resort guests have had first dibs and booked it up. I thought maybe this was a reason for them to switch to signature. It worked - now - all of a sudden, I can pick a time for dinner on many different evenings. That 2 credits on the dining plan is going to clear up their reservation list quite a bit, I think...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I honestly do not know why anyone is surprised by this. Le Cellier is/was one of the most popular restaurants in WDW. Whether is was deserving of that honor is really irrelevant. Disney had every reason to charge more for the exact same thing and IMHO should have done this long ago. It is simple supply and demand. I'll wager that in year you will still have trouble getting an ADR at any less than 3 months out.

menamechris

I honestly do not know why anyone is surprised by this. Le Cellier is/was one of the most popular restaurants in WDW. Whether is was deserving of that honor is really irrelevant. Disney had every reason to charge more for the exact same thing and IMHO should have done this long ago. It is simple supply and demand. I'll wager that in year you will still have trouble getting an ADR at any less than 3 months out.

I agree with you, with the exception of the trouble getting an ADR. For the first time ever, I have a pretty good pick of times within the next couple months. That means people have been cancelling their reservations. I am sure there may be even more times opening up as more people hear about how the change will affect their dining plan credits.

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes

I agree. For the life of me I can't understand what would be so wrong in someones life that they get THAT upset because people like Le Cellier so much? People LOVE Ohana and I can't stand it...but I'm not on some crusade to prove to anyone it is not good. That's has to be the dumbest thing ever for someone to try and do. I can see giving your opinion but people are pretty passionate about this.

Here is a tip...let everyone fight over Le Cellier ADR's while you eat alone at your favorite place. And like Yoda said...its a Signature Dining spot now...did you think it was going to be cheaper to eat there?

Pioneer Hall

While the menu didn't change all that much, I have a feeling that quality of the dishes will increase. Personally I always thought that the menu items at Le Cellier had the ability to be signature level, but I think that the overwhelming demand for the restaurant made the quality extremely lacking. The change will likely lower the demand, and the higher prices will fill the profit gap. With fewer diners and a less hectic kitchen, hopefully the chefs can raise the quality on the similar dishes.

ummm really? my wife and i have gone here 10 years in a row - we always eat here - it is the one place tha twe "have to" eat at. the food is always prepared to perfection and service is always great. i was suprised that it took this long for the prices to go up and for it to go to 2 dining plan. i am sorry that you do not find this resturant to be very good and yes there are other places to eat but i do have to say this is a must place to eat at least once.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I agree. For the life of me I can't understand what would be so wrong in someones life that they get THAT upset because people like Le Cellier so much? People LOVE Ohana and I can't stand it...but I'm not on some crusade to prove to anyone it is not good. That's has to be the dumbest thing ever for someone to try and do. I can see giving your opinion but people are pretty passionate about this.

Here is a tip...let everyone fight over Le Cellier ADR's while you eat alone at your favorite place. And like Yoda said...its a Signature Dining spot now...did you think it was going to be cheaper to eat there?
So true. Le Cellier was the best bang for your buck 1 credit restaurant in WDW and IMHO that was why it was so popular. The food there is good but just not worth killing yourself over. There are just far to many options in WS for me to loose even one second of sleep over Le Cellier.

While the menu didn't change all that much, I have a feeling that quality of the dishes will increase. Personally I always thought that the menu items at Le Cellier had the ability to be signature level, but I think that the overwhelming demand for the restaurant made the quality extremely lacking. The change will likely lower the demand, and the higher prices will fill the profit gap. With fewer diners and a less hectic kitchen, hopefully the chefs can raise the quality on the similar dishes.
I hope this is true. I enjoyed my last visit there but you can tell that the kitchen staff is overworked and quantity is wining out over quality.

Unomas

I'll be curious to read some new reviews from Le Cellier and see some new pictures to see what people are saying...People who have been to both versions...

Phonedave

So true. Le Cellier was the best bang for your buck 1 credit restaurant in WDW and IMHO that was why it was so popular. The food there is good but just not worth killing yourself over. There are just far to many options in WS for me to loose even one second of sleep over Le Cellier.

That was my opinion of it as well.

For somone on cash or TIW (me), it was a waste. Really not worth the price and the hype.

For somone on a Dining Plant, at 1 TS it was a solid restaurant and well well well woth the 1 credit.

Now, at 2 credits, they are going to have to step up thier game - a lot. I have said it before, making a place worth 2 credits is VERY difficult. Think about it, a 2 credit place should be TWICE as good as a one credit. While you can take a place and move it from a $35 entree to a $40 entree place fairly easily, it is not easy to move it from $35 to $70, but in essence that is what you are attempting when moving from 1 to 2 credits.

If service in Le Cellier improves, and food presentation is stepped up, then maybe I would not mind paying the new prices. The servers try, they really do, but when you are cramming people in there like cattle in a feed lot, and trying to turn a table in 40 minutes because you are overbooked out the door, there is not much they can do. The kitchen is cranking out food as fast as they can, and I would hazard a guess, pre-cooking a lot, and then firing things at the last minute.

As I said in another thread, the Venison looks interesting.

-dave

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes
That was my opinion of it as well.

For somone on cash or TIW (me), it was a waste. Really not worth the price and the hype.

For somone on a Dining Plant, at 1 TS it was a solid restaurant and well well well woth the 1 credit.

Now, at 2 credits, they are going to have to step up thier game - a lot. I have said it before, making a place worth 2 credits is VERY difficult. Think about it, a 2 credit place should be TWICE as good as a one credit. While you can take a place and move it from a $35 entree to a $40 entree place fairly easily, it is not easy to move it from $35 to $70, but in essence that is what you are attempting when moving from 1 to 2 credits.

If service in Le Cellier improves, and food presentation is stepped up, then maybe I would not mind paying the new prices. The servers try, they really do, but when you are cramming people in there like cattle in a feed lot, and trying to turn a table in 40 minutes because you are overbooked out the door, there is not much they can do. The kitchen is cranking out food as fast as they can, and I would hazard a guess, pre-cooking a lot, and then firing things at the last minute.

As I said in another thread, the Venison looks interesting.

-dave

Yep, we already cancelled our dinner and switched to lunch. A LOT of people are probably going to do this as well if they pay attention. They should have just left it the way it was and continue to let it be "impossible" to get ADR's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom