Rain ponchos

Nona

Original Poster
Do they still sell the inexpensive rain ponchos and are they worth it? I think I still have my old ones (yellow with Mickey on them) lol

ninjaprincesst

Yes , they do sell panchos and in my opinion they are worth it. They are no more expensive than the decent quality ones you buy elsewhere and if the rip Disney will replace them.

DisneyJoe

Do they still sell the inexpensive rain ponchos and are they worth it? I think I still have my old ones (yellow with Mickey on them) lol
I believe when it is raining and Disney puts them out on the counters they will cost you about $12 each.

macefamily

If anyone is hitting the parks next week, get ready. I see they're calling for low 60's next week dipping into the 40's in the evening. We were down in December twice where the temperatures actually hit the low 30's at night. It was surreal seeing all of the plants at the parks covered with burlap to protect them from freezing. We went to the local KMart to buy some cheap knit gloves for the kids, but they were sold out. As we walked into the park the next morning, of course there were kiosks set up with knit gloves that were selling for $10 a pair. They usually cost $3.00.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
They do still sell them.
Generally they are behind the register at most gift shops.
When it starts pouring they set them on the counter.
Whether the price is worth it is really up to the individual.

I will say I have a Disney rain poncho and I used it on about 9 trips and used it multiple times on each trip so I got my money out of it for sure.

HOWEVER a couple of trips ago I ended up bring out cheap throw aways from amazon and they have sleeves and a drawstring hood.
I would bring 3 to the parks each day.
If going on Splash Mountain I'd use one and toss it.
They were also good enough quality that the one day it rained for about 6 hours we were able to wear and rewear one poncho for the entire time because they are much thicker than your usual cheap poncho.

So now I'm all about throw aways because its just much easier than wearing/rewearing/drying the Disney ones.

I personally prefer ponchos over a rain jacket or umbrella because they are more compact and the cover you from head to knee.

Lilofan

The ones on a really tight budget might use large plastic garbage liners. I know I used one when running from the office to my car. 😉

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If anyone is hitting the parks next week, get ready. I see they're calling for low 60's next week dipping into the 40's in the evening. We were down in December twice where the temperatures actually hit the low 30's at night. It was surreal seeing all of the plants at the parks covered with burlap to protect them from freezing. We went to the local KMart to buy some cheap knit gloves for the kids, but they were sold out. As we walked into the park the next morning, of course there were kiosks set up with knit gloves that were selling for $10 a pair. They usually cost $3.00.

My friend is going next week.
She swears she's gonna "be fine".
I mean I do run very cold even when its warm but in December 2018 one day it made it to a raw 60 and then went to the 40's in the evening and let me tell ya the wind chill was in the low 30's and the humidity didn't help.
I wish I had brought my winter coat. Instead I had a zip up hoodie and then had to buy another to put on top of that.
My sister who usually isn't cold was also freezing. Not so cold she had to buy a second layer like me but still cold.
I can't wait to hear how my friend actually does lol.
I'm going in August and then in November or December.
For the second trip I am planning on pants and long sleeves UNLESS the lows are going to be in the low 60's and highs in the low 80's lol.
50s/70s pants are good for me!

BoarderPhreak

Yes it was breezy there for wind c
But you only have to buy one each at WDW...
I'm a convert to throw away but I know I'm spending more in the long run...
There's an option to only buy five. I mean sure, if you're flying solo you only need one. I wager most people here aren't doing that, necessarily. Also good to have spares, because they don't exactly fold up well after use, or you can keep one in the car, one in your work/school bag, etc. At any rate, ten of them is a dollar more than a single one at the parks.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
There's an option to only buy five. I mean sure, if you're flying solo you only need one. I wager most people here aren't doing that, necessarily. Also good to have spares, because they don't exactly fold up well after use, or you can keep one in the car, one in your work/school bag, etc. At any rate, ten of them is a dollar more than a single one at the parks.
Just saying it's not really cost effective.
If you have 5 people in your group it's about $50.
Pack of 10 for $14 may only last a day.
If you're there for 5 days... that's $70 worth of throw away.
Its convenient yes but not really cheaper...

BoarderPhreak

Just saying it's not really cost effective.
If you have 5 people in your group it's about $50.
Pack of 10 for $14 may only last a day.
If you're there for 5 days... that's $70 worth of throw away.
Its convenient yes but not really cheaper...
If you throw away the cheap ponchos, sure. But as long as they're not damaged, there's no reason to toss them. But I hear ya... There's definitely a quality difference. To be perfectly honest, a real windbreaker/raincoat is the way to go if savings are your ultimate goal. I have one from LL Bean and it paid for itself many times over. Doesn't fold up into a tiny square, but these are all things to consider.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom