Rain and Storms at WDW

BryceM

Once I had the most beautiful day at Epcot, then a serious thunderstorm showed up. The winds had to have been around 50 MPH and there was some crazy lighting. We ran from Canada all the way to Innoventions in a mad dash. It was kind of fun running like crazy though... Haha.

It also poured on us the entire day at Magic Kingdom, but it was fun and I remember I put my phone in a plastic bag and was using it through that. The best part of the day was sitting front row, alone, on Big Thunder Mountain and riding in the rain. It was perfect.

But since I live in Florida, I really don't mind it. The weather is so inconsistent here and it's just something you have to get used to.

Neph-Neph

When everyone ducks out of the rain it makes it nice and easy to get to the next attraction.

One of my favorite things to do when it storms in MK is ride PotC over and over until the first time we exit and notice it has stopped then we dash to Splash. Everybody tends to leave the line at the first sign of lightning so there's usually only a 10 minute wait after the storm has passed!

Walt Disney1955

To me, rain in Central Florida is an hour or two of hard rain followed up by sun and 30 minutes later not even realizing it rained. From my experience at least, rain in a warm, tropical location like Orlando, or Dominican or Cuba never - or rarely - lasts a whole day.

Neph-Neph

When I went to WDW in 2008 Tropical Storm Fay stalled out over central Florida and it was 4 solid days of rain. The lines were nice and short for everything but I was pretty tired of being constantly wet for 4 straight days. Overall, I'm thankful for the rain driving everyone away!

luv

When I first moved to Florida, I told a friend I wasn't sure, it might rain, maybe we should do it anther time...

He said, "It's FLORIDA, luv. It's summer. If you put everything off because it might rain, you'll never do ANYTHING!! Get used to it!!"

He was a little abrupt (as was his nature, lol), but he was right. You can pretty much plan for rain in the summer. And heat. And humidity.

I don't worry too much about rain, but the lightening storms still shake me. Less than before, but I still run for cover if I'm outside. :)

Stu bailey

Love Disney in the rain. Spent an afternoon at Epcot once in a driving storm. Ditto TL. No t&L so all was open and the place was empty. Also hanging in the rain at the Y&B was fun one afternoon. Love the rain. Also it does not rain in the lounges. Even if it did it might be cool.

Disvillain63

We've had one vacation at WDW (1993) where it rained some each day, but the photos are priceless...kids in ponchos, sitting at the CBR bus stop looking for the bus...no one was at the stop but us...that doesn't happen often.

Another storm in 1995, my DH and I were heading to Epcot to dine. When we arrived the rain had just stopped and we saw a double rainbow over SSE.

Jo DeVil

We were in Typhoon Lagoon and a down pour started and everyone ran for cover we must have been about the only family that didn't. We were in swim wear, and there to get wet, why run for cover!

The Mighty Tim

On my last trip, I was in EPCOT one afternoon, queuing outside Universe of Energy on a hot, bright sunny day. So much so, that as we waited, I sought shelter from the sun's rays beneath the Cast Member's umbrella. Eventually we were let into the ride.

Upon our exit, I had noticed it had clouded over a bit. I thought nothing of it and continued to Spaceship Earth. After finishing that ride, it was drizzling slightly. We walked over to Mouse Gear and went inside. When we finished in there, we headed towards the World Showcase and the Mexico pavilion.

Just when we were about as far from any shelter you could be, the heavens opened in spectacular glory, drenching us in uber heavy rain. We were saturated very quickly, but made it to the Mexico pavilion. We looked around the shops, rode Gran Fiesta Tour, then looked outside to see if it had stopped raining. It hadn't, but we decided that since we were beyond supersaturation and we had Fast Passes for Soarin' coming up in about 90 minutes, we figured "what the heck, we can't get any wetter". So, off we went into the uber rain again, walking from Mexico to The Land. We walked past about five other people on the way there.

When we got to The Land, there were a whole bunch of people milling around the entrance, waiting for the rain to stop. A CM sheltering beneath an umbrella looked at us, sopping wet and said "well, at least you don't need your Saturday afternoon shower!". I replied "we're British - we're used to this!"

JIMINYCR

I think Disney must like the rain too. All the shops fill up with guests who want to get out of the storm and while they do they might as well look around and impulse buy.

mouse_luv

Rain is nothing at WDW for me. I just put on a poncho and go b/c everyone else goes away and I can have fun w/o them crowding the place ;). Anywhere else, I'm gonna be inside when it's raining hahah!

mousehockey37

There's a storm a brewin'! Today there is a 40% chance of rain in Lake Buena Vista, and I wanted to know this: Do you like rain at WDW? One of the things I like about the rain is that it drives the crowds away. Also I may be thinking about going today. Is it worth going through a whole day of rain? How would you approach the situation?

Last time I checked people weren't made of sugar, so they don't melt. Some characters are witches, so they move them indoors for meet n greets:p, but I'm not paying $$$$$ to go to WDW to spend it in my resort room watching movies. If I wanted to do something like that, I'd stay home.

As others have said, rain scares away people, and that's fine by me. Last trip, it rained for EMH at EPCOT, it wasn't a heavy rain by any means, it even stopped a few times... I have PHENOMENAL pictures of EMPTY country pavilions, awesome clouds behind it all!!!! They couldn't be neater.

Besides, those who are looking for the "magical moments" don't get them if they "stay home" so to speak. There are times where the rain makes it better.

Dragonrider1227

The lyrics to a classic song comes to mind when I think about being caught in the rain at Disney
Rain drops fallin' on my head.
But that doesn't mean my eyes will soon be turning red.
Crying's not for me
'Cause I'm never gonna stop the rain by complainin'
Because I'm free
Nothin's worryin' me!

coilback

Rain is fun as a guest, but I used to HATE it as an Entertainment Tech, esp when working a show with dancers like DAWM. If there was the slightest drop, we had to go up on stage before the show and make it bone dry. Sometimes they would call it a "tech show" because they knew they had no intention of running the show (because more rain was on its way), but we had to pretend we were making an effort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom