Radio Telescopes or satellite dishes formerly @ EPCOT

ABQ

Original Poster
So I just somehow happened to find myself watching this "monorail study" video...and don't worry, this thread has zero to do with monorails outside of the vantage point you gain when riding the EPCOT line.
Anyway, the film was shot in '92 apparently and gives some wonderful views of Futureworld circa 1992.

This leads to my question, did the radio telescopes or whatever they were shown here just after the monorail runs past what I guess is the Odyssey area actually do anything? Does anyone know? Or were they just there for looks to attach to Communicore?

Skip to about 5:30
BTW, check out the familiar shape of the construction walls around the late great fountain and the awesome lack of Leave a Legacy.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They were satellite dishes that received live pictures that were fed into the displays outside of Futurechoice theatre.

In 1982 live footage was a big deal and had big hardware to do it!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The dishes

image.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
image.jpg
And some of the screens showing the footage. Audio could be heard for each screen via the phone handsets.

If you enter Mousegear via the doors nearest Test Track today and turn left, the podium displays were about a dozen feet infront of where the cash registers are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom