Racing At The Track

dreamer

Originally posted by no2apprentice
Let's not forget the golden rule (or at least one of them) in business is "stick to what you do best or suffer."

Unfortunately the people that run Disney are blinded by greed, ambition and power-hunger. They want to rape Disney and use its money to rule the world.

Golden rules went out the window on election day November, 1992. It's just a matter of what you can get away with any more.

Badger Brent

WDW will never hold a winston cup event!! Now the lesser series still might have a shot. The ASA series, Hooters cup, Goody's Dash series, etc. would put on a great show there. Anything larger would not be in Disney's best interest to put on. Parking, noise, seating, etc. There are big issues right now with cup teams not having enough time off. If you add another race, another existing track would have to dump one of their dates. Not gonna happen. I would like to see at the least one weekend dedicated to holding different forms of racing at the track. The noise for 1 weekend might be deemed possible if you can fill the rooms up and get them in the park.

wed050499

Originally posted by dreamer
Unfortunately the people that run Disney are blinded by greed, ambition and power-hunger. They want to rape Disney and use its money to rule the world.

Golden rules went out the window on election day November, 1992. It's just a matter of what you can get away with any more.

As I read this, and i mean this with the utmost sincerity, all I could think was um... okay. To each his own I suppose.

Brian

no2apprentice

(I know because although I'm not a NASCAR fan I live in a NASCAR town -- Bristol.)

Oh, my goodness! It is a small world after all!:lol:

Someone else from the tri-cities. And regarding BMR, I don't know about other big name racetracks, but can we say traffic? Lot's of traffic? More traffic than you can imagine?

Think of it. You go to MK, and have heard something about a new racing thing going on that day in WDW. As you leave the TTC lot, with your tired family in the trusty family vehicle, you brake. Why? Because traffic is stopped in front of you. Because the race fans are leaving. And it takes you 1 1/2 hours to get to a road outside of Disney property.:cry:

Badger Brent

I have season tickets for Bristol Motor Speedway. I choose not to go anymore and sell my tickets to all of the NEW Nascar fans. Yes, to each his own, but different opinions make for better obervations in general. WDW would benefit from some sort of race weekend.

Grimone24

Original Poster
Pepsi 500

They just released some new car designs for the night race at Daytona and it appears disney may be having a lilo and stitch car done for the movie release!

dreamer

Originally posted by no2apprentice
Oh, my goodness! It is a small world after all!:lol:

Someone else from the tri-cities. And regarding BMR, I don't know about other big name racetracks, but can we say traffic? Lot's of traffic? More traffic than you can imagine?

That's why I don't think a Winston Cup race would work on-site at Disney World unless they invested to build a separate entrance and roadways. We get over 200,000 people for each big race. I've been to motels in Knoxville (120 miles away) that said they fill up on race weekend. And the rest of the world would quickly learn to avoid that week anyway.

I didn't even notice you were from Kingsport. :wave:

dreamer

Originally posted by wed050499
As I read this, and i mean this with the utmost sincerity, all I could think was um... okay. To each his own I suppose.

Brian

I've heard a lot of people say "Um...Okay" and I've never doubted their sincerity.

I guess I shouldn't generalize, but I think we'd be naive to believe that Disney execs are more altruistic than other execs and not motivated primarily by personal gain and ambition.

Sorry about the political remark, but unfortunately I don't think Disney is unaffected by modern times.

lamarvenoy

I don't want to offend anyone out there, if I do I'm sorry. Laast year I was given a pair of tix to the Daytona 500. I don't really care about racing but they were free and that is one of the BIG races so I went. We were in the Golden Skyboxes, the highest and most expensive seats with catering and open bar and a/c and the whole spiel. Everything was free! IT wasn't bad but I don't know if I'd do it again.........the parking was TERRIBLE, if I didn't have 4x4 I would still be looking for a spot, I had to drive through a ditch with 3 foot deep water to steal one of my reserved spaces after they closed our parking section. It was like a carnival of freaks in the grand stand area and the drinking was out of control. Mullet heaven, lots of camaros and Skynard. Unless I'm driving one of the cars don't expect to see me at another race. I have a lot more fun at our local speedway running 1/4 mile's,betting and drinking.

TURKEY

Re: Pepsi 500

Originally posted by Grimone24
They just released some new car designs for the night race at Daytona and it appears disney may be having a lilo and stitch car done for the movie release!

It's the Pepsi 400.

I don't see where they would have a Lilo and Stitch car. It would be for the 2nd release of the movie. The first issue of DVD/video is coming in December.

wed050499

I've heard a lot of people say "Um...Okay" and I've never doubted their sincerity.

I guess I shouldn't generalize, but I think we'd be naive to believe that Disney execs are more altruistic than other execs and not motivated primarily by personal gain and ambition.

Sorry about the political remark, but unfortunately I don't think Disney is unaffected by modern times.

I will never say that Disney hasn't been affected by modern times. On the contrary, they have probably been affected more than any other company I can think of. However, I do tend to disagree that Disney execs are just in it for the money. Disney is and always has been about creating dreams come true from the top down to the lowest cast member (i know because I was the lowest). Nothing will change that. The executives of Disney do not run the cast members under them. Instead, Disney is one of the few companies that has held onto the cast members running them. This is the reason why you do not see unions everywhere in the company and when i was at WDW, there was two votes against unions. If Disney executives were not doing the job we believe they should be doing, they why does any of us support any of them. We continue to go to the parks, we continue to buy their videos, see their movies, buy their merchandise, why? Because Disney is bigger than any one executive could ever be. It is a state of mind, not something that can be used. I believe that if you sit down with Michael Eisner, Roy Disney, Jay Rasulo, Lee Cockerell, Al Weiss, Cynthia Harris, Marty Sklar, or Bob Iger, you will find that these individuals are as much in love with Disney as we all are. I know this is an awfully long rant and I expect numerous replies and welcome them, but I'd like us all to sit back and think about modern day Disney. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is? Are the people at the top really as bad as has been said? My answer is no.

Thanks everyone,
Brian

jmarc63

Originally posted by btb6mm
I guess you would want them to tear the track down and make another parking lot?

FYI:HISTORCIAL INFO

I would like to interject some information here about the comment from btb6mm

Originaly the area from the pit row service area just behind pit row wall northward sits on what was part of the southern most parking area of the south parking area, everything south of that line was grassy area, and the hidden mickey retention pond was originally larger and was more trapizoidial, when they built the track the Mickey shape to the retention pond was built.

Mr Bill

It's the only thing still open down there, but it's there nevertheless. If you do the driving one at WDW instead of the ride-along, you will get a coupon in the mail later to drive Daytona. People aren't allowed to just drive Daytona, they have to have driven at at least one other track before. Only downside to 'tona is it's 2400 dollars for 24 laps.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom