Race Through New York is good, actually

lebeau

I like a good screen ride. But the days of a stationary vehicle looking at a screen are long gone. This was cheaply done. It's the same with Despicable Me. Although the later does have a better IP.

The fact that these rides exist and draw crowds suggests otherwise. I think what you meant to say is that you don't personally care for them. Which is fine. I don't love them either but they continue to exist.

DonniePeverley

I would never ever suggest that Fallon is anywhere close to the level of Flight of Passage. God tier vs. "okay filler". The point of this thread is just to suggest that the hate theme park fans give the ride is overblown.

Not really. It's a matter of opinions, but it does deserve some hate. Universal should not be in the game making 'fillers'.

DonniePeverley

The fact that these rides exist and draw crowds suggests otherwise. I think what you meant to say is that you don't personally care for them. Which is fine. I don't love them either but they continue to exist.

Stitch's great escape when it was open drew lines of over 60 minutes. A long line doesn't equate to quality.

Incidentally the lines for Fallon are never huge.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Not really. It's a matter of opinions, but it does deserve some hate. Universal should not be in the game making 'fillers'.

There have always been filler attractions though. Twister was filler. By "filler" I don't mean bad, just something that eats up a lot of capacity and is not anything people would book a vacation over but adds to the overall value of a visit. You need attractions that not everyone wants to do but some people do because having a few "hassle free" experiences does a lot for someone's enjoyment of their day at the park.

lebeau

Stitch's great escape when it was open drew lines of over 60 minutes. A long line doesn't equate to quality.

Incidentally the lines for Fallon are never huge.

No one said anything about quality. Your argument was that "the days of a stationary vehicle looking at a screen are long gone" which is an absurd statement to make given that there are three such attractions in close proximity in USO. (If we're talking quality, we have to talk about Shrek first.)

Quality is a completely different conversation from the one we were having. You are dismissing Race Through New York based on the type of ride it is. Which would be like saying Storm Force is a bad ride because the days of tea cups are long gone. You may not want to ride that type of attraction. That's personal preference so your opinion is valid. As others have pointed out, C- and D-ticket attractions serve a purpose.

The quality argument is a highly subjective one. I'm not especially interested in defending Race Through New York as a great ride. It's fine for what it is. I'd much rather ride something else but it's a pleasant enough time waster.

GuyFawkes

If the ride is full all the time it is success. Not everyone wants full on thrill rides. Race is the best screen based ride in Universal I think. Minions packs them in but it is a lesser ride then Race. It's just people love the material that is presented. If I have express pass I hit Minions but I'm also in the park with a family so....... Kids love the Minions.

If it was up to me, I would have a bunch of thrill rides together, basically the best of Disney and Universal. That would be very specific to me and not very family friendly or old people friendly. Pandora at Disney is a top notch ride which Universal has nothing like it. That is a screen based ride and I would have been happier if Universal did something like that over Race but they didn't. Pandora is a flagship ride. Everything can't be at that level in a park.

matt9112

There have always been filler attractions though. Twister was filler. By "filler" I don't mean bad, just something that eats up a lot of capacity and is not anything people would book a vacation over but adds to the overall value of a visit. You need attractions that not everyone wants to do but some people do because having a few "hassle free" experiences does a lot for someone's enjoyment of their day at the park.

I agree i think filler is VERY important. It cant be all Es you need the capacity. I feel liike everyone just wants big crazy ride after ride.

OG Runner

No one said anything about quality. Your argument was that "the days of a stationary vehicle looking at a screen are long gone" which is an absurd statement to make given that there are three such attractions in close proximity in USO. (If we're talking quality, we have to talk about Shrek first.)

Quality is a completely different conversation from the one we were having. You are dismissing Race Through New York based on the type of ride it is. Which would be like saying Storm Force is a bad ride because the days of tea cups are long gone. You may not want to ride that type of attraction. That's personal preference so your opinion is valid. As others have pointed out, C- and D-ticket attractions serve a purpose.

The quality argument is a highly subjective one. I'm not especially interested in defending Race Through New York as a great ride. It's fine for what it is. I'd much rather ride something else but it's a pleasant enough time waster.
Is it time to ask DonniePeverly to take a time out? I have run into him here and also in a discussion on Epic Universe. In both instances he
really comes across as a Troll, with views that are always negative to the discussion and without any justifiable opinions.

TwilightZone

I agree i think filler is VERY important. It cant be all Es you need the capacity. I feel liike everyone just wants big crazy ride after ride.
Even six flags magic mountain has a section full of kid friendly rides. You always have to have a few non-E ticket attractions. Not everyone can like the thrills or have the patience to go to one big attraction to the next. Some people's favorite ride is the teacups.

cheezbat

I think it’s so funny how some of you bash the living crap out of universal for simulator screen rides yet praise Flight of Passage as the best thing since sliced bread. It’s literally just Soarin’ 2.0…and first time riding it I was underwhelmed. My friends made it out to be the best ride ever…it’s not even as good as Tower of Terror…or Haunted Mansion…or Splash Mountain…I know…to each their own…but seriously…it’s just a newer simulator.

OG Runner

I think it’s so funny how some of you bash the living crap out of universal for simulator screen rides yet praise Flight of Passage as the best thing since sliced bread. It’s literally just Soarin’ 2.0…and first time riding it I was underwhelmed. My friends made it out to be the best ride ever…it’s not even as good as Tower of Terror…or Haunted Mansion…or Splash Mountain…I know…to each their own…but seriously…it’s just a newer simulator.

Sorry, but what if anything does that have to do with the discussion of if Race Through New York is a good ride?
I understand you have an opinion on Flight of Passage, but weren't we discussing why Race Through New York is
a good ride?

Tom Morrow

Original Poster

I genuinely think Flight of Passage is the best theater-based simulator, but it's not better than the likes of Spider-Man. It's also the only simulator anywhere to actually make me feel a physical drop in my stomach. I also think the presentation is top tier, whereas Race Through New York was clearly never intended to be an E-Ticket.

cheezbat

Sorry, but what if anything does that have to do with the discussion of if Race Through New York is a good ride?
I understand you have an opinion on Flight of Passage, but weren't we discussing why Race Through New York is
a good ride?
Because others were comparing simulators and basically praise Flight of Passage as the best thing ever….I don’t mind Race Through New York…but it clearly isn’t an E-ticket. It was never meant to be the next big thing at Universal…just filler to keep with the constant new attractions and something to market NBC properties in the park.

monykalyn

Some people's favorite ride is the teacups.
good point and also that not everything can be top thrill attractions. My grandson's favorite rides are one where he can take me and spin the heck out of me! Teacups at MK, storm force at Universal. Kid is also a thrill seeker but sometimes doing something just for the joy of doing it is enough. Fallon is fine for a "breather" with little to no wait. Plus the studio tour is kinda neat! We were first peeps to put a pin in our hometown on the map!

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
Crazy, huh?

Fallon.jpg

macefamily

Disney is too busy threatening to pull out of filming in Georgia because of voter rights rather than thinking about viable investments into their them parks. I don't ever Mickey being this woke.

macefamily

I genuinely think Flight of Passage is the best theater-based simulator, but it's not better than the likes of Spider-Man. It's also the only simulator anywhere to actually make me feel a physical drop in my stomach. I also think the presentation is top tier, whereas Race Through New York was clearly never intended to be an E-Ticket.
I would absolutely love for Universal to use the latest Spiderman craze to take a year and re-theme the ride using the different Spideys in the attraction.

OG Runner

I would absolutely love for Universal to use the latest Spiderman craze to take a year and re-theme the ride using the different Spideys in the attraction.

I wonder if they can? I know Disney cannot add a Spiderman ride, but can Universal use the characters from the newer movies?
I mean even when the X-Men movies came out they still used the 90s X-Men comic versions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom