Race Retreat?

fmingo36

Original Poster
I keep looking at the info about the race retreat and think it might be something worth doing.

Have any of my WDWmagic running friends done the race retreat for Marathon weekend? Is it worth the money?

MKCP 1985

I keep looking at the info about the race retreat and think it might be something worth doing.

Have any of my WDWmagic running friends done the race retreat for Marathon weekend? Is it worth the money?

Probably a poll question. The first time I ran a Disney half marathon, my wife joined the chear squad and bought a race retreat package. It was nice, but worth the price? That's hard to say.

The second time, we both entered the race and neither of us paid for the race retreat. The weather was miserably cold! It would have been nice to have a place to stay warm out of the cold weather, but worth the money for two people? Wow, that weekend is already so expensive . . .

This will be our third marathon weekend and we won't buy the race retreat, but I don't begrudge those who do. If you decide to go for it, be sure and let us know what you thought of it.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Probably a poll question. The first time I ran a Disney half marathon, my wife joined the chear squad and bought a race retreat package. It was nice, but worth the price? That's hard to say.

The second time, we both entered the race and neither of us paid for the race retreat. The weather was miserably cold! It would have been nice to have a place to stay warm out of the cold weather, but worth the money for two people? Wow, that weekend is already so expensive . . .

This will be our third marathon weekend and we won't buy the race retreat, but I don't begrudge those who do. If you decide to go for it, be sure and let us know what you thought of it.

That's what I'm most worried about. I ran the Princess in March and the weather was about 40 degrees at the start. Ladies were standing near the lights to try and keep warm. It was not a great way to start the day.
And I know last year the weather for the Marathon was horrible.

I don't really care about all the other stuff that comes with the retreat package, but the thought of being someplace warm and dry (IF it's miserable out) could be worth the price. Guess I'll keep an eye on the weather as marathon day gets closer.
Do you know is there a deadline to when you can sign-up for it?

dreamfinder

Do you know is there a deadline to when you can sign-up for it?

I believe it is when it sells out. I am fairly certain that they were still sending out emails trying to get me to buy it a few weeks before the race last year. Shoulda taken em up on it that time. It was pretty brutal last January.

fmingo36

Original Poster
I believe it is when it sells out. I am fairly certain that they were still sending out emails trying to get me to buy it a few weeks before the race last year. Shoulda taken em up on it that time. It was pretty brutal last January.

Do you know what the "sell-out" capacity is?

dreamfinder

Do you know what the "sell-out" capacity is?

Not specifically, but I can't imagine it being more than 1000, and that may be very high. I don't recall the tent being particularly large, so probably closer to a few hundred.

The best I can do for a outside picture -> http://disneyrunning.com/10fullphotorm.html look at the 4th picture down. That shows you the baggage claim tents. If you look in the middle of that picture, you can just see the top of another tent over the long row. I am fairly certain that was the Race Retreat last year. Inside shots can be seen on the flyer here -> http://disneyrunning.com/MoreMagicRaceRetreat.pdf You can see that it's not very large from the first two pictures which appear to be taken from the opposite ends of the tent. Hope that helps.

MCC1

To 2nd comment above, if you do do it let us know what you thought. I've thought about and wish I did it in January as it was freeeeeezzzziiiinnngg which was not the norm. However, as my wife runs the 1/2, and I the full, it would mean to utilize the post race benefits of the retreat we'd have to leave the other standing outside so it's been hard to justify.

lukacseven

I've never done the race retreat before, but wish I did last year.

Other years the weather really didn't warrant it. If you have a phobia of porta potties or don't want to wait in long lines, then it might be a good idea.

MKCP 1985

It sounds like a great idea, but at what point do you have to join the other runners in the COLD?

They open the gates to the corrals but you don't have to go right at that moment. Remember that it is a relatively long walk from the race retreat to the corrals (at least it always seems that way when you are walking it in the dark) but they won't kick you out. . . you have to make the decision how long you want to allow yourself to walk to the starting area for your corral.

People who have done these races before know that garbage bags are your best friend. Pack a garbage bag for yourself and when you get to the staging area and you are going to be waiting in the cold for the race, poke a hole for your head and then get under that bag to retain your body temperature. You can discard the bag when the race is starting.

Those are a big help.

Last edited:

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
It sounds like a great idea, but at what point do you have to join the other runners in the COLD?
That is a great question. If it is 45 minutes or more from race time... I think I would just brave the cold and save the $100. Im stubborn.

They open the gates to the corrals but you don't have to go right at that moment. Remember that it is a relatively long walk from the race retreat to the corrals (at least it always seems that way when you are walking it in the dark) but they won't kick you out. . . you have to make the decision how long you want to allow yourself to walk to the starting area for your corral.

People who have done these races before know that garbage bags are your best friend. Pack a garbage bag for yourself and when you get to the staging area and you are going to be waiting in the cold for the race, poke a hole for your head and then get under that bag to retain your body temperature. You can discard the bag when the race is starting.

Those are a big help.

18345_1286888365650_1033398114_875920_6631691_n.jpg
That is a great look Doug! :D

I went to our local Thrift store and got some good looking sweat pants and top. The sweat pants didnt have a drawstring so I had to hold them up the whole time I was waiting. :lol:

fmingo36

Original Poster

[

I was wondering about this. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm leaning more towards not signing up for the race retreat. That's an extra $100 that I can spend on race souviners.

mraphael

After thinking about it , I'm saving my money and not doing the retreat....i was pretty bundled up last year pre-race and i've invested in the NIKE cold running gear for this year. I'll spend $20 on a thrift comforter to wrap myself in and discard it and give it to someone needy instead....

fmingo36

Original Poster
It can't possibly be as cold as it was last year, can it?

I hope not.
I live in NJ and it's been in the 30s and windy all week; it's so hard to get motivated for a run when the weather is like this.
I really hoping for some nice warm Florida weather for that 26.2 mile run.

Kristia

I hope not.
I live in NJ and it's been in the 30s and windy all week; it's so hard to get motivated for a run when the weather is like this.
I really hoping for some nice warm Florida weather for that 26.2 mile run.

I hear ya! I live in NJ too. My husband and I are doing the marathon and have been having a tough time running this week. We do our long runs on Sunday and this weekend it is supposed to rain on Sunday! :mad: Looks like we may be doing it late at night on Saturday due to his work schedule :mad::mad:. We haven't made it out at all this week due to the cold and the wind. The wind is the real killer!

lukacseven

I hear ya! I live in NJ too. My husband and I are doing the marathon and have been having a tough time running this week. We do our long runs on Sunday and this weekend it is supposed to rain on Sunday! :mad: Looks like we may be doing it late at night on Saturday due to his work schedule :mad::mad:. We haven't made it out at all this week due to the cold and the wind. The wind is the real killer!

I live outside Philly. The weather was so bad last year, I think I got one good otuside run in between Thanksgiving and the marathon. I figured at least the weather would be warmer in Florida, then I woke up to 28 degrees and sleet on Saturday. I agree - if it's at least in the high 30's I'm fine, but add some wind or rain and I can't really get a quality run in. This weekend looks good - 40's and sunny Saturday and 50 on Sunday with chance of rain. Gotta get out before it snows on Monday.

fmingo36

Original Poster
Just got back from picking out my Christmas tree and all I could think about is I can't wait to run today; it's 45 and partly sunny here in NJ.
Gonna take advantage of this weather, it's supposed to get brutally cold again next week.

Kristia

Just got back from picking out my Christmas tree and all I could think about is I can't wait to run today; it's 45 and partly sunny here in NJ.
Gonna take advantage of this weather, it's supposed to get brutally cold again next week.

I am heading out myself in a bit! Normally do a long run on Sunday but I have to beat the rain!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom