Question for web and video experts...

imagineer99

Original Poster
Alright, this question doesn't really have anything to do with Disney. But, I thought the digital experts of this site might be able to give me some help.

I have some short movies I've posted online at my website. Right now, when you click to view the movie, it just directly links to the media file. Like HERE.

I would like to be able to have it work so that it plays in a streaming format. (ie. you don't have to download the entire file in order to view it).

Kinda like on this site. Now, I know that this page uses quicktime. But, is there another way to achieve the same effect either with Flash or Windows Media player?

thanks

dolbyman

you want real streamin format ? .. or download preview format ?

try wmv for the last one .. wmv is downloadable .. but when you click on it you can view it while it's still downloading (via mediaplayer)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wouldn`t it be better to have most people download the video to watch rather than stream - remember each time someone streams it costs you in bandwidth - if one person watches it 5 times, instead of one download it is downloaded (streaming is in effect downloading without saving) 5 times.

Plus, 9 times out of 10 a streaming video can be ripped and saved anyway with the right tools.

tk421-sw

marni1971 said:
Plus, 9 times out of 10 a streaming video can be ripped and saved anyway with the right tools.
That's true! When i did my christmas post, I set it to downlaod the video to the computer, but "stream" in the emmbedded player. So, it was a litle harder to get them., but not much. Just look in your temp internet files!

imagineer99

Original Poster
hmmm...I guess my biggest issue is ease of viewing...

I'm just not sure what people perfer.

Does it bug people to have to click a link and watch the video in a stand-a-lone player, instead of actually watching it embedded in the actual page? Does one seem better to the average web-surfer?

DigitalDisney

Give people the option to do both.

- Some people like to watch the video without leaving their browser
- Some people prefer to save it for repeat viewing
- Some people won't be able to play your video natively in their browser

Best of all, the streaming link can point to the same video people will download. You won't need two copies of the same file, or anything like that.

imagineer99

Original Poster
Digital, that seems to be the best idea.

So, I guess I'm back to square one. How do I make it so they can stream the video within the browser. Is it simply a matter of knowing the write tags in html? Or, is it deeper than that.

Again, thanks for any help anybody can provide.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom