Question for disney employees

minnie64

Original Poster
Hey guys Ive always wanted a career with disney and with college approaching for me in the fall I have to choose a major, thats where i am completely lost. All I know is that I would be absolutely estatic working for disney no matter what I was doing ( besides being an hourly CM lol) So what Im wondering is if any one here who is employeed by disney could tell me..
what they do , what they majored in, and how did they get the job with disney?
I understand that it is very difficult to get into working for the mouse, but I'd just like some input thanks alot guys!:wave:

SeaBreeze

This is definitely a loaded question because the most important thing is to study an area that is interesting and fulfilling to you. Once you get to college, explore and see what you like best. I interned with WDW and have a lot of friends who were hired on but my field is not something that is generally appealing. To get the PI, I interned with GE multiple times, kept a good GPA, worked in a lab and was involved in leadership positions on campus. I'm a mechanical engineer and my friends still working there are different varieties of engineers, but unless you like technical areas, this isn't for you.

However, industrial engineering (which is huge at WDW) is more business related than technical, so that might be a consideration. My friends in industrial engineering have had better luck with breaking into WDW careers than general business majors that I know. Another friend of mine is in casting/hiring and she was a marketing major who worked her way up doing CPs.

It very much depends on you, what you like and what you want to do. Once you get into college, you'll start realizing that some things just aren't appealing. Work hard, do internships and keep your grades up. It also doesn't hurt to go to college in Florida :lookaroun The good thing about such a large company like Disney is that just about any major can get you somewhere.

Pioneer Hall

Disney has a use for many majors. The important thing, like mentioned, is to do something that you enjoy. If you go to college and major in something you don't like just to get a job...odds are you won't like that job either. Do what makes you happy, and the rest will fall in to place.

minnie64

Original Poster
Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses and I think you are totally right about doing something I like. Im leaning towards hospitality, and event planning. I'd love to work as a wedding planner for disney or possibly guest relations. I would be very happy being involved with either of those, my main concerns are about how the economy is right now and if I would be able to obtain a decent job out of college in those areas although it is what I would enjoy doing most. :shrug:

SeaBreeze

My friend is actually an event planner, although not for Disney. She found work when she graduated but I think a key part of her program was a mandatory internship to graduate. If that's what you really enjoy, I'd pursue it but I'd try to get some kind of internship every summer, even if it's with a small, local company. :)

Pioneer Hall

Thanks guys I really appreciate your responses and I think you are totally right about doing something I like. Im leaning towards hospitality, and event planning. I'd love to work as a wedding planner for disney or possibly guest relations. I would be very happy being involved with either of those, my main concerns are about how the economy is right now and if I would be able to obtain a decent job out of college in those areas although it is what I would enjoy doing most. :shrug:

Those are definitely areas that you can pursue with Disney, but like everything else are very hard to get into. I am going to be blunt with you like I am with everyone else who does this on the forums...be prepared to work somewhere other than Disney. You may need to have a job to garner experience before you can go to Disney in these areas. I only know because I am in that spot now with my college graduation right around the corner. My problem is more economy related, but I still most likely won't be working at Disney in a few months (my plan is to start there in a year). In the meantime, I will be entering my field a different way. Hopefully when you graduate in 4 years, the economy will be far from the spot that it is in now.

minnie64

Original Poster
Yes, I understand I will have to work my way to disney and I will have to start off somewhere else. Hopefully all will be well with the economy when I graduate. I wish you the best of luck when you finish college and thank you for your help!

Pioneer Hall

Yes, I understand I will have to work my way to disney and I will have to start off somewhere else. Hopefully all will be well with the economy when I graduate. I wish you the best of luck when you finish college and thank you for your help!

Not a problem...good luck to you as well. College is an amazing experience.

cm1988

Wdwcp?

Why don't you just plan on doing the College Program? That will give you the experience of working at Disney, plus potential connections for advanced internships and possibly a "perm" job later on.

If you're interested in Hospitality Management, you might consider University of Central Florida. I think they have a new Hospitality Management program there, which very likely makes internships possible at WDW.

Before making a decision about a major, though, my suggestion would be to take some career interest tests... and don't cheat (yourself)... answer exactly what you want. If you are more interested in something "non-Disney" right now, you still could do the College Program for a semester or a summer.

I worked for many years at Disney. It is a good employer, and certainly has perks (behind the scenes stuff; guest interaction, etc.) but it is not unique in "making people happy"... which was kind of an illusion I had. Thinking more about it, people working in hospitals or as school teachers or many other professions are doing more for people than anyone at WDW.

The other thing you can do is take a behind-the-scenes tour sometime. That will either tantalize you further, or you may say "been there, seen that" and head in a different career direction.

minnie64

Original Poster
Thanks , I totally plan on doing the college program. And to work for disney is a dream, and if its meant to be it will happen some day but I'm sure I'll be happy working in the hospitality field :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom