Question about Wonders of Life Pavilion

PhilharMagician

When I was in there last October it was pretty dismal! There were no lines for Body Wars or Cranium Command. Things were broken and in disrepair. It was by far the most dissappointing thing I saw in Disney that week. I will say that I am going to miss CC. It was a great show!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Epcot has pavillions dedicated to communication, to space, to motion, to imagination, to the sea, and to the land...what is a better fit than a pavillion dedicated to the wonders of the human body? I will never forget seeing human-sized red blood cells, neurons, and the blood-brain barrier in Body Wars and learning what a hypothalamus was in Cranium Command. The pavillion was based on teaching about the human body and nutrition while visitors were having fun on rides and seeing shows. As a pre-med college student, I value the importance of that type of learning even more highly. I realize that biology can be a drag for some people, but it's still important stuff, and WoL taught science in a fun way. THAT was what made the pavillion so special to me.

I'd love to see WoL updated without the removal of the heart of its purpose.

Just my opinion! :wave:

nibblesandbits

OK, I guess I don't understand anything about how tax writeoffs work...but why by having an empty, unused building is that a tax writeoff? :veryconfu Please somebody explain this to me.

speck76

Little Mermaid said:
The pavillion was based on teaching about the human body and nutrition while visitors were having fun on rides and seeing shows.

I thought The Land covered nutrition with Food Rocks and Kitchen Kabaret? :confused:

Steve4wdw

Maybe I'm alone or Maybe there's an army behind me (gizz? :animwink:)

Little Mermaid said:
The pavillion was based on teaching about the human body and nutrition while visitors were having fun on rides and seeing shows. As a pre-med college student, I value the importance of that type of learning even more highly. I realize that biology can be a drag for some people, but it's still important stuff, and WoL taught science in a fun way. THAT was what made the pavillion so special to me.

Maybe I'm the only "young adult" to recognize and appreciate this. But I think it's important for us to remember, as Test Track, M:S, Soarin, come in that part of the original purpose of Epcot WAS for people to learn while having fun. I'll admit flat out that I never got to ride on World of Motion, BUT I can say that I did learn some valuable things from Test Track, and I really like the ride. I honestly miss horizons, BUT I can say that I think M:S does live up to the pavillion (both with the hidden tribute and the fact that a mission to mars is a new horizon) But where my buck stops with acceptance is with Soarin' over Food Rocks. Maybe someone whose been to DCA or has more information than I do about Soarin' could explain to me what is to be learned other than California has orange groves and Disney has a cool way to make you see a large area of land and make it smell like you're really there.

Now what does all of that rant have to do with what was previously said? I think Little Mermaid is 100% right in thinking that it's important that the pavilion be there. My aunt works in a doctor's office so I've learned quite a bit from her, but it was a lot of fun on Body Wars when they're talking about the types of white cells before you launch (most people honestly miss it) and I think a lot can be learned by people on how the body works! I'm not standing in the way of progress here. I'm just stating my view that there definately should be a WoL pavillion AND it should be dedicated to exactly that...the wonders of life. I'm fine if certain areas need to be updated from the 80's/early 90's but the principle and heart should stay the same. Does anyone else agree with me on this?

Figment1986

How should disney get a Tax Write off with closing a Educational Pavilion....

(They should get one for closing a noneducational one... sadely like time keeper...)
(they should get a tax break for having educational places like WOL and COP open...)

fiftiesdean

the gov't does not see Disney (Epcot) as an educational establishment so they don't get any breaks. As far as seasonal, they do. They don't have to pay overtime (a long fought out battle with a loophole in FL laws), and they are techincally losing money having it open. If there are no lines inside, it's not worth having people inside running it. Less people working, less taxes Disney has to pay. And they report it being closed as a loss....more breaks there too

Lynx04

I agree with steve4wdw, that TT and MS educate and inspires. Disney has contiuned with the goal of educating and inspiring, these attractions prove. They had to find an even ground where you can educate and give the public what they want. It is important to acknowledge that these outdated attractions no longer has the appeal that it once did 20 years ago. If they did then Disney would not have embarcked on the audacious journey of what they are traveling now. I am 99.999999999999999999999999999% certain that whatever takes WOL place will educate or inspire people. It will stay true to the EPCOT theme. With the 99% I have a gut feeling that the main attraction will be mild to moderate thrill. I don't think it will be as intense as MS. I think Disney will keep the motion simulators that are currently used for body wars. I don't recall if there was any problem with simulators, I just don't see them discarding or selling them, recycle makes more sense. I have a feeling that when all the transforming is complete in EPCOT, it will no longer be the bore that so many once called it. I think that is a good thing.

speck76 said:
I thought The Land covered nutrition with Food Rocks and Kitchen Kabaret? :confused:
Lol, good call. The Land does cover nutrition more than WoL. I think what I was really trying to say earlier was that healthy living was another major theme in addition to all the science.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom