Question about the Professional Internship

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
I applied for 3 PI's and was wondering how hard it is to actually get accepted. The three I applied for are directly related to my major so I'm hoping that I'll atleast be considered, although I'm sure there are more people more qualified, than I, that have applied for the same position.

I also haven't done the CP so I was wondering if that might hurt me any, even though it wasn't required for the positions I applied for. Also, how long does it take to actually hear something back, whether it be by email or phone and what are the deadlines? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

SeaBreeze

PIs are very competitive but it really depends on the positions you applied for and the openings available. If your positions don't require the CP, I don't think it will hurt you any. My PI was in engineering so it might not apply to you at all, but they cared more about engineering experience than the CP. If you aren't accepted this time, an internship in your field will probably help you more the next go around than the CP. Others will probably disagree with me but from the PIs I know, this seems to be the case.

I wish I could help more but they came to my school to interview us so I don't know how the process goes otherwise :shrug:

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
PIs are very competitive but it really depends on the positions you applied for and the openings available. If your positions don't require the CP, I don't think it will hurt you any. My PI was in engineering so it might not apply to you at all, but they cared more about engineering experience than the CP. If you aren't accepted this time, an internship in your field will probably help you more the next go around than the CP. Others will probably disagree with me but from the PIs I know, this seems to be the case.

I wish I could help more but they came to my school to interview us so I don't know how the process goes otherwise :shrug:

Thanks for the response SeaBreeze! I've noticed the PI's seem to be very competitive but have also noticed (alot on the forums actually) that people seem to be getting what they apply for. Since my major is Fashion Merchandising, I applied for Costuming Buyer, Costume Design, Costumer Internship, etc. There's no doubt in my mind that there are more qualified people ahead of me, so I was just curious about past PI's applying process.

Thanks again SeaBreeze, it's nice to hear from someone that's actually done the PI before :)

SeaBreeze

Thanks for the response SeaBreeze! I've noticed the PI's seem to be very competitive but have also noticed (alot on the forums actually) that people seem to be getting what they apply for. Since my major is Fashion Merchandising, I applied for Costuming Buyer, Costume Design, Costumer Internship, etc. There's no doubt in my mind that there are more qualified people ahead of me, so I was just curious about past PI's applying process.

Thanks again SeaBreeze, it's nice to hear from someone that's actually done the PI before :)

:wave: I'm sorry I couldn't help more but good luck with everything! Be persistent and keep applying because it's definitely worth it. Some semesters will have more openings than others so never give up on it! In the meantime, any experience you can get- even unpaid internships- will help for the next application. Then again, you could get it on the first try...it does happen :sohappy:

I loved my PI and really hope you get one of those positions!

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
:wave: I'm sorry I couldn't help more but good luck with everything! Be persistent and keep applying because it's definitely worth it. Some semesters will have more openings than others so never give up on it! In the meantime, any experience you can get- even unpaid internships- will help for the next application. Then again, you could get it on the first try...it does happen :sohappy:

I loved my PI and really hope you get one of those positions!

Thanks again :wave: I'll definitely keep trying! Just out of curiosity, how old were you when you did your PI? I feel I might be too old, seeing as I'll be 23 when the PI starts... if I were to get it that is. My age is also why I haven't considered doing the CP so I was just wondering.

SeaBreeze

I actually turned 23 on PI and had finished my undergrad degree (as long as you interview while you're a student it's fine) One intern in my area was older than me and a few in another department were a couple years older, so don't worry about your age :)

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
I actually turned 23 on PI and had finished my undergrad degree (as long as you interview while you're a student it's fine) One intern in my area was older than me and a few in another department were a couple years older, so don't worry about your age :)

Oh wow, that's great news! Makes me feel alittle better!

WDWFanatic4

I also applied for 3 PIs, one relating to my major, but others that have interested me. With my major, there was not a lot that were offered. I recently did the CP and now back at school finishing up my last semester of college. So far for the PI I got a phone interview, they just asked about basic questions, not pertaining to one specific PI. They told me the next step was a person from that area would set-up a phone interview and go from there. I did notice that the PIs deadline was this past Friday. I am hoping to hear something soon. Does anyone know the acceptance process, is it different then the CP process of sending a letter?

SeaBreeze

I also applied for 3 PIs, one relating to my major, but others that have interested me. With my major, there was not a lot that were offered. I recently did the CP and now back at school finishing up my last semester of college. So far for the PI I got a phone interview, they just asked about basic questions, not pertaining to one specific PI. They told me the next step was a person from that area would set-up a phone interview and go from there. I did notice that the PIs deadline was this past Friday. I am hoping to hear something soon. Does anyone know the acceptance process, is it different then the CP process of sending a letter?

I, and the other engineering PIs I know, were contacted by phone and were told that such and such department has offered us a position and gave us the details. However, I'm not sure if this is standard for all departments or just engineering groups :shrug:

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
I haven't even gotten a phone call yet, but considering I just applied the 11th, I was cutting it close to the March 14th deadline anyway... I might have just applied too late :( Ah well, I won't give up hope til I see the position go away on the website.

SeaBreeze

I haven't even gotten a phone call yet, but considering I just applied the 11th, I was cutting it close to the March 14th deadline anyway... I might have just applied too late :( Ah well, I won't give up hope til I see the position go away on the website.

If the application deadline is March 14th, the calls won't go out until after that. They have to review all the apps and then decide so the process won't start until after they're all in

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
If the application deadline is March 14th, the calls won't go out until after that. They have to review all the apps and then decide so the process won't start until after they're all in

Oh really, awesome! I just assumed that since so many had already gotten phone calls, I missed the opportunity to get mine. Thanks again SeaBreeze, you're alot of help!!! :D

SeaBreeze

Oh really, awesome! I just assumed that since so many had already gotten phone calls, I missed the opportunity to get mine. Thanks again SeaBreeze, you're alot of help!!! :D

Well I wouldn't give up hope if the deadline only just passed :shrug: As long as those positions were still listed they were probably open. And like I said, if you don't hear this time, apply again for the next go around :wave:

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
Well I wouldn't give up hope if the deadline only just passed :shrug: As long as those positions were still listed they were probably open. And like I said, if you don't hear this time, apply again for the next go around :wave:

Oh I definitely will, I'm very serious about the PI so I'll keep trying! And I can't thank you enough for your help :wave:

Ravenclaw87

Hey guys! I was just wondering where you saw the deadline date of March 14th? It still lets you apply for some jobs, so I'm slightly confused, that's all!

Kristilovesdw

Original Poster
Hey guys! I was just wondering where you saw the deadline date of March 14th? It still lets you apply for some jobs, so I'm slightly confused, that's all!

I got the March 14th date from another forum. I couldn't tell you if it's correct or not because I couldn't find it myself anywhere else :shrug: Disboards is where they mention that date quite a bit as it being the deadline. I applied for 2 more positions on the 14th anyways... so if it still lets you, I'd apply anyway.

Ravenclaw87

Oh, I applied for one--- at 11:00pm on the 14th! haha--- I just need to send in a portfolio, which I haven't done yet. So, hopefully it works out okay!

ksherin

Hey everyone! :wave: I'm completely new to WDWMagic forums but I think this would be the best place, other than WDW casting, to get some answers I was looking for. I applied for PI's last month and just had what I believe to be a preliminary interview asking asking me general questions and a few personal questions as well. It lasted about a 1/2 hour. What happens from here? The recruiter told me someone would be in contact but will that be the end all of it? Hired or not? Any help would be great!!

Also, I am not from central Florida and would need to find housing by mid-June if I were hired. What are good apartment/condo communities in the Orlando/Disney/Kissimmee area to look at for younger cast memebers (I'm 22).

Thanks everyone!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom