Question about the price of princess costumes

disneytati

CantGoEnough said:
Do you live by a Walmart? In the toys section, they have almost a whole princess aisle and there is a Disney licenced Cinderella dress and also a Snow White dress - so they look exactly like each princess and better yet they each cost only $20 - the quality is fine also. Much better alternative than buying in the parks! PS - The princess breakfast is great

I hope they still have them when I take my daughter up there...

maelstrom

Does anybody know if Wal-Mart/Target has an Alice dress? I should've bought it when I was there, because now I can't find it on the internet.

PixyDust

I checked our Disney Store yesterday for prices after reading this thread and they are on clearance right now at $19.99. Not the quality you'll find at WDW, but a good deal.

We have bought two of the WDW dresses for my daughter. We buy them a size too big and she knows that the one she picks out has to last her for at least two years. She wears it every day that she is at WDW, and I bet she puts it on at least once a week at home. We normally get about three - four Disney trips per dress in before they are retired for a new one. I don't buy the accessories, as a wand is a wand to her, but I do spring for the nice dress and a pair of the jelly shoes. The shoes are so comfortable she prefers them over tennis shoes while at WDW.

banimall

Wal Mart actually has 2 types of dresses, a standard for around $20 and then a real elaborate one for $30. Both are well worth the price.

JimboJones123

When you LOOK at the dresses that the girls wear at the park, you can tell the difference. We have the in park snow white ($80, i know but wait ) and the belle ($65), and they are the NICEST POSSIBLE DRESSES YOU CAN BUY. Every time we walk next to a disney store bought, or even worse, the off the rack dresses at target/walmart... you CAN tell the difference. It is up to you, but nothing gives me more pride than having my daughters LOOK LIKE real princesses. You figure you pay about 100 per person to go to the parks anyways -- what's another 70 bucks or so on the trip. These dresses last forever too. We had cheap ones when the kids were little, and they DID NOT LAST LONG. We've now had 2 trips, disney on ice, and plenty of playtimes, and they still look brand new. They don't look like they were pulled out of a box. It is up to you though. I wouldn't have bought them, G-ma did, but now I would have felt terrible if they had to wear the other dresses. Sorry to offend if I do, but I would rather they not dress up at all than wear some of those dresses. They do look that bad. So, Park dresses (not bottom teir, they still look a little mangy) get a big thumbs up. But to each their own. Does BBB restrict dresses? That sounds like a great deal. Better than a hair wrap or temp tatoo.

Leighbert

nicolita3 said:
walmart sells them in the toy section for cheaper i think

The princess dresses sold in Wal-Mart and Toys R Us are very cute but they are not of the same quality of the dresses bought from the Disney store. My daughter has several of the Wal-Mart dresses that she wears for dress up. They cost about $20 each. The dresses from the Disney store (or that you buy at WDW) are made from sturdier fabric with more embellishments and they are sized more accurately (i.e., size 4, size 10) versus the one size fits all dresses at Wal-Mart. If you buy them at the Disney store (for Halloween), they cost about $40--that doesn't include all of the accessories. The Disney store and the parks also carry deluxe costumes which cost upwards of $60.

As another poster said, be sure to check ebay because you can get the better dresses for about the same price.

DisneyBound

I agree on the quality issue. We have several walmart dresses which are thin and poorly sewn and fall apart easily. The two we purchased at Tink's Treasures are quality materials with silk and taffeta underlays, good stitching and accents. We got the bell Christmas dress with matching shoes (velvet with gold accent) and although it set me back $85, its still like new. We also bought a cinderella dress there that was I think $65 and its like new as well. What I found to be the pocketbook breaker was the shoes (38 bucks) and accessories (crown, wand and shawl) that were like $100 all together. They do sell cheaper dresses at the Disney store, lower quality but still better than the walmart ones. If price is an issue, i wouldnt spend the extra money though.

maelstrom

The dresses were so much nicer (and pricier) when I was little. They also didn't have a picture of the princess in some fashion on the front. Isn't the idea that you ARE Belle, Aurora, etc? They don't wear pictures of themselves on their dresses.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom