Question about Tapestry of Nations/Dreams

KingdomKeeper

Original Poster
Hey everyone,
I've been wondering this for a long time, but never got around to asking. One video of the Tapestry of Nations parade I have watched (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3085313402220259188#) mentions that there were two parades, Unity and Diversity, and after the first week of official performances, Unity was the only parade. Was there a difference between the two? And is there any reasoning to why the parade was performed in 3 sections, then then 2, and then just 1 section?

And, lastly, I have never seen a reason for the complete removal of it/Tapestry of Dreams. Was it a decrease in interest of it? Or I have also been told that the reason for its removal was that it was too much of a crowd control headache? ...which makes sense...but seriously, every time I see a video of it/pics of it, I miss it. It and Illuminations, have in my opinion, have the best soundtracks of any disney performances. So ya, thanks to anyone who will feed my curiosity regarding this very awesome parade.

SeaCastle

Hey everyone,
I've been wondering this for a long time, but never got around to asking. One video of the Tapestry of Nations parade I have watched (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3085313402220259188#) mentions that there were two parades, Unity and Diversity, and after the first week of official performances, Unity was the only parade. Was there a difference between the two? And is there any reasoning to why the parade was performed in 3 sections, then then 2, and then just 1 section?

And, lastly, I have never seen a reason for the complete removal of it/Tapestry of Dreams. Was it a decrease in interest of it? Or I have also been told that the reason for its removal was that it was too much of a crowd control headache? ...which makes sense...but seriously, every time I see a video of it/pics of it, I miss it. It and Illuminations, have in my opinion, have the best soundtracks of any disney performances. So ya, thanks to anyone who will feed my curiosity regarding this very awesome parade.

Can't help you with the first question, but I believe it was cancelled due to, like you said, crowd control, as well as various injuries amongst the performers.

Testtrack321

Time to put on the Tapestry of Nations source music! WOHO! LETS ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS!

Hey everyone,

Diversity was the earlier parade and dealt with the diversity in the world. All the puppets were mixed together between the drums and there was a different narration. (Also, there was a different narrator with no opening introduction for both Unity and Diversity.)

Unity is what we currently have, talking about the unity of the world, all the puppets were grouped into their different types, and was shown at night (which allowed for the awesome disco-ball sequence in the middle of the show.)

The parade during previews and shortly after opening was longer by about 10 minutes, had a different narrator, and had some different composition of the music (compare the official CD release to the source audio).

When the parade was extended past the Millennium Celebration the route between Canada to Morocco was removed. This route was the most problematic due to crossing the International Gateway bridge and the huge wind gusts that would come off the lagoon to Crescent Lake and vice versa. Those puppets, floats, and costumes were used for parts for the other two sections. Also the narration was changed again, keeping the same narrator from the new Diversity segment, but this time talking more about dreams and wishes. It was a weird bastardization of ToN/ToD. I'll answer the next part to your question in a second...

ToN was run by a whole different group of managers than ToD. The ToD managers pushed the parade harder and the performers than ToN. This led to many injuries (MKT3000 for example) and damages to the parade items. Combine this with an inferior parade (stupid dream sprite things, chopped up music, kids wishing, musical instruments on the puppets, etc) this led to a huge decrease in popularity of the parade. What once people traveled specially to Epcot just to view was now avoided. All this played into the parade being cut down to one route, removing the last bridge crossing and allowing easier navigation of the promenade. The last leg was Germany-Morocco. ToD was cancelled for the same reasons it was shortened.

There were several rumors of a new Epcot parade, but what it came down to was that the World Showcase Promenade WAS taking a huge hit in guest flow. Despite this being the second parade at Epcot, Disney still can't get a parade to work on the varying path sizes, inclines, and over the various bridges around the lagoon.

At least we can still hear the Tapestry music on the way out of the park after Illuminations every night...

KingdomKeeper

Original Poster
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Ok...several more questions then. Do you know of a place where the narration/music for the two parades can be found? I have yet to find a CD with the Tapestry of Nations parade music on it...the one I have has Tapestry of Dreams...And is it possible to get the preview audio somewhere?

And do you happen to know were a video of this disco ball sequence is? I have never seen it.

Was there a difference between the costumes of the different sections?

What is MKT3000?

Thank you again for all your answers :D!

Time to put on the Tapestry of Nations source music! WOHO! LETS ANSWER SOME QUESTIONS!

Diversity was the earlier parade and dealt with the diversity in the world. All the puppets were mixed together between the drums and there was a different narration. (Also, there was a different narrator with no opening introduction for both Unity and Diversity.)

Unity is what we currently have, talking about the unity of the world, all the puppets were grouped into their different types, and was shown at night (which allowed for the awesome disco-ball sequence in the middle of the show.)

The parade during previews and shortly after opening was longer by about 10 minutes, had a different narrator, and had some different composition of the music (compare the official CD release to the source audio).

When the parade was extended past the Millennium Celebration the route between Canada to Morocco was removed. This route was the most problematic due to crossing the International Gateway bridge and the huge wind gusts that would come off the lagoon to Crescent Lake and vice versa. Those puppets, floats, and costumes were used for parts for the other two sections. Also the narration was changed again, keeping the same narrator from the new Diversity segment, but this time talking more about dreams and wishes. It was a weird bastardization of ToN/ToD. I'll answer the next part to your question in a second...

ToN was run by a whole different group of managers than ToD. The ToD managers pushed the parade harder and the performers than ToN. This led to many injuries (MKT3000 for example) and damages to the parade items. Combine this with an inferior parade (stupid dream sprite things, chopped up music, kids wishing, musical instruments on the puppets, etc) this led to a huge decrease in popularity of the parade. What once people traveled specially to Epcot just to view was now avoided. All this played into the parade being cut down to one route, removing the last bridge crossing and allowing easier navigation of the promenade. The last leg was Germany-Morocco. ToD was cancelled for the same reasons it was shortened.

There were several rumors of a new Epcot parade, but what it came down to was that the World Showcase Promenade WAS taking a huge hit in guest flow. Despite this being the second parade at Epcot, Disney still can't get a parade to work on the varying path sizes, inclines, and over the various bridges around the lagoon.

At least we can still hear the Tapestry music on the way out of the park after Illuminations every night...

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
What is MKT3000?!
This one I know. MKT3000 is a member here on WDWMagic [goes by screen name MKT, real name Rob] who was a performer and was injured doing the Tapestries parade [not sure which].

Nice guy, I've had drinks with him. We were chatting earlier this evening on FaceBook. :D

KingdomKeeper

Original Poster
How were they injured? To me it would seem like a parade that everyone could easily remain completely safe during.

This one I know. MKT3000 is a member here on WDWMagic [goes by screen name MKT, real name Rob] who was a performer and was injured doing the Tapestries parade [not sure which].

Nice guy, I've had drinks with him. We were chatting earlier this evening on FaceBook. :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wow. That`s an OLD video of mine!

I`ve now got footage of the `disco ball` sequence I must dig out for a re-edit sometime...

KingdomKeeper

Original Poster
Oh...and one other related question to this I have always wondered about. When talking about source audio what exactly does that refer to? To me, that would be like placing the mic next to a speaker, but some of the recording I have seen that mention using source audio seem to clean, unless if the person was in a completely dead area of the park. Just another question I have always wondered about but never remembered long enough to ask, lol. Thank you all for all your answers(and for all the answers that may still be to come), either my search-fu is weak, or there just isn't that much info out there on Tapestry of Nations/Dreams.

Miss Bell

I believe injuries were mostly back injuries due to the weight and cumbersomeness of the puppets. It's too bad, though, it was always my favorite, too.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Oh...and one other related question to this I have always wondered about. When talking about source audio what exactly does that refer to? To me, that would be like placing the mic next to a speaker, but some of the recording I have seen that mention using source audio seem to clean, unless if the person was in a completely dead area of the park. Just another question I have always wondered about but never remembered long enough to ask, lol. Thank you all for all your answers(and for all the answers that may still be to come), either my search-fu is weak, or there just isn't that much info out there on Tapestry of Nations/Dreams.
Source audio is a direct copy of the original audio, NOT recorded from speakers.

Testtrack321

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Ok...several more questions then. Do you know of a place where the narration/music for the two parades can be found? I have yet to find a CD with the Tapestry of Nations parade music on it...the one I have has Tapestry of Dreams...And is it possible to get the preview audio somewhere?

And do you happen to know were a video of this disco ball sequence is? I have never seen it.

Was there a difference between the costumes of the different sections?

What is MKT3000?

Thank you again for all your answers :D!

I sent you a PM for the music.

Costume differences, do you mean between ToD/ToN? There are pictures of the Dreamseakers and the Sage of Time on WDWMagic you can look up. Sorry, too hung over right now. :lol:

As for the video, due to the lighting effect and bad video cameras of the day most of the time when people filmed it the effect turned out bad. Some did get parts of it.

1:30 into: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9jmA2TJRc&feature=related
(this one features the OLD version of the narration!)

Video of the inbetween ToN/ToD parade which featured the Sage of Time yet talks about dreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJ9DGS6CSs&feature=related

Full parade video with disco ball sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKbi7J8qSA

KingdomKeeper

Original Poster
For the costumes, I was wondering about the different sections of ToN. like when there were three sections of it, were there subtle differences between the costumes?

Thank you so much for the vids! :D

I sent you a PM for the music.

Costume differences, do you mean between ToD/ToN? There are pictures of the Dreamseakers and the Sage of Time on WDWMagic you can look up. Sorry, too hung over right now. :lol:

As for the video, due to the lighting effect and bad video cameras of the day most of the time when people filmed it the effect turned out bad. Some did get parts of it.

1:30 into: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9jmA2TJRc&feature=related
(this one features the OLD version of the narration!)

Video of the inbetween ToN/ToD parade which featured the Sage of Time yet talks about dreams: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJ9DGS6CSs&feature=related

Full parade video with disco ball sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKbi7J8qSA

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
How were they injured? To me it would seem like a parade that everyone could easily remain completely safe during.
Strap a sail to your back on a windy day and tell me that's safe.

To this day I still have violent back spasms that can be directly attributed to that parade.

mkt

Premium Member
For the costumes, I was wondering about the different sections of ToN. like when there were three sections of it, were there subtle differences between the costumes?

Nope.

The only different puppeteer costume was for the sprite.

mkt

Premium Member
I performed in Dreams.

During Nations I performed in the Main Street Electrical Parade.

loveofamouse

I loved that parade, esp the rotating drums (it tickles my marching band muscles :) ). I could easily see injury coming from that parade, though. Just about every puppet had either fabrics or looked heavy from metal. I noticed that AK has similar puppets except most of the weight is on a walking frame behind the puppeteer. Great for backs, limits motion, it appears.

Testtrack321

Sorry if I made you think there were different versions of costumes the puppeteers wear.

FutureCEO

the tapestry of nations was my favorite parade at that time. the music is so good. but looking back at the clips...too many people moving around you to have a good parade atmosphere. Epcot was never meant to have a parade then again neither was Animal Kingdom but then again I hate that parade.

Dreams, never saw it but Disney is going down the path of being too kiddy if you can believe that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom