Question about Sorin'

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
Am i the only one who found the attraction.... well to put it bluntly..

Dull... i just left it feeling like it was not really all that impressive and really wasn't as great as they had been hyping it up as... am i the only one?

Lee

Adventurer
Yeah...you're pretty much the only one...:lol:

Seriously, most times I've been on the ride there has been a small ovation at the end. Very well liked attraction.

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
I believe one of the reasons I found it to be a bit lame is that the ride ends.. in disneyland.. at Christmas time.. at the middle of the summer.. who's bright idea was that? They should have opened it with a better film to fit its location better.

goofyfan13

Mecha Figment said:
I believe one of the reasons I found it to be a bit lame is that the ride ends.. in disneyland.. at Christmas time.. at the middle of the summer.. who's bright idea was that? They should have opened it with a better film to fit its location better.

It ends in Disneyland because right now the ride is a gift from Disneyland for the 50th anniversary. We have heard many rumors that it will change soon enough, most likely when the celebrations over, but not yet. With the Christmas thing, the average guest doesn't really care about details like that. :wave:

HunnyPot

I loved the ride. I actually liked it ending at Disneyland...it just seemed fitting since we were flying over California throughout the film, why wouldn't we end at DL? I didn't really mind that it ended at Christmas, don't remember thinking too much about it actually.

Sorry you didn't like it! I love it though...it's now my favorite attraction at Epcot.

peter11435

Mecha Figment said:
I don't see why the film showing California is a problem. It is no different than taking a trip around China in the World Showcase, or flying to Mars on M: S. You are flying over California. As for Disneyland and Christmas, well you are in California so it would be stupid to have it fly over Disney World. As for it being Christmas, it looks beautiful with the tree the lights and the fireworks. Instead of criticizing you should just enjoy the beauty of Disneyland at Christmas time. I suggest you read the following fun facts. Maybe it will help you to better appreciate the current film.

-Because airspace inside National Park boundaries is protected, it took several months for the film crew to obtain permission to fly a helicopter into Yosemite National Park. The last time a helicopter was permitted to fly through Yosemite was in the mid-1900s, when a flood had closed the park to visitors.

-Though it may be hard to see them, in the Yosemite sequence, mountain climbers are making their way along a cliff face before the waterfall comes into view. The six members of the Yosemite Mountaineering School spent an entire day before the shoot placing pitons for handholds and footholds during filming. While the shot was being set up, and in between takes, the climbers literally "hung around," suspended from the cliff by ropes. One climber clung to the cliff for about six hours before the shot was ready to go.

-Because of its status as a marine sanctuary, it took a year to obtain all of the necessary permits to film the Monterey/Point Lobos sequence of the film. One of the boats in this shot is a NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmosphere Administration) boat, whose job it was to monitor marine animal and bird activity during filming. Fortunately for the animals and the film crew, the shot was pulled off without disturbing any of the protected sea otters, sea lions or brown pelicans.

-The scene in which guests fly over the USS Stennis aircraft carrier, as it heads out of the San Diego port, is unusual in that all of the Navy jets and helicopters can be seen on the carrier. Normally the carrier offloads all of the aircraft as soon as it comes into port. When this scene of the film was shot, the vessel happened to be making a quick turn-around and had not had time to offload the aircraft. The USS Stennis is the largest aircraft carrier in the Navy's fleet.

-There is a scene in the film in which horses and riders gallop through Anza Borrego State Park. Prior to filming this scene, the film crew was required to hire an archaeologist and his team to perform a biological and paleontological resource assessment. In other words, the team hand-dusted the area from Fonts Wash to Fonts Point—a four-mile stretch of trail— in order to be sure no artifacts would be disturbed by the horses and riders.

-In the Anza Borrego shot, we see the Thunderbirds fly over the horseback riders. Many meetings with Air Force personnel were required to set up this shot. Flight paths for both the Thunderbirds and the helicopter film crew had to be carefully charted and arranged. The jets travel so fast that they would not be able to see the helicopter in time to avoid intercepting its flight path. Timing its departure and GPS location very precisely, the helicopter departed only a few miles from the filming rendezvous point, while the Thunderbirds took off from Nellis Air Force base, near Las Vegas, more than 200 miles away.

-Lt. Col. Brian Bishop, the Thunderbirds' lead pilot, uses the code name Be-Bop. The lead pilot for the Thunderbirds may hold his or her position for no more than three years, and Lt. Col. Brian Bishop's participation in the filming of this sequence for Soarin' Over California constituted his final flight as commander of the Thunderbirds.

-The film crew had to arrange and budget for a special staging of the Disneyland parade to film the final sequence for Soarin' Over California.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
According to Disney's internal research, Soarin' at WDW has received the highest guest rating of any attraction, show or parade at WDW. I guess that sums it up, its widely popular.

My personal opinion is that its a wonderful attraction. Very Epcot, very re-ridable, and something the whole family can do together. Its a great addition to Epcot.

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
don't get me wrong it's okay not great. if the film wasn't so california focuced i'd like it better. Id like to see other lands around the world after all it is in the Land pavilion.

goofyfan13

Mecha Figment said:
don't get me wrong it's okay not great. if the film wasn't so california focuced i'd like it better. Id like to see other lands around the world after all it is in the Land pavilion.

Keep in mind that the whole 50th revolves around Disneyland. And since Soarin' is a gift from Disneyland, you can do the math. I'm sure they change it to something like Soarin' Over the World later.

shoppingnut

I happen to love Soarin, I think it is one of the best rides. So why does everything have to be in Florida, I think California had more diverse areas to film which I think meshed together beautifully. I really don't think Florida has that much diversity.

And, as far as christmas, I think that looks fabulous, I'd rather see sparkling lights on Main Street as opposed to nothing but plain old Main Street which isn't that interesting for a film like this. Just because it is summer with xmas stuff going on means nothing, it's quite warm in FL at xmas time, so does this mean that they shouldn't have any xmas activities due to warm weather.

The fact that the ride ends in Disneyland makes perfect sense seeing as the entire film is California based, ending it in WDW would just be silly.

Mecha Figment

Original Poster
goofyfan13 said:
Keep in mind that the whole 50th revolves around Disneyland. And since Soarin' is a gift from Disneyland, you can do the math. I'm sure they change it to something like Soarin' Over the World later.

Okay that makes sence to me.

sgmco

goofyfan13 said:
It ends in Disneyland because right now the ride is a gift from Disneyland for the 50th anniversary. We have heard many rumors that it will change soon enough, most likely when the celebrations over, but not yet. With the Christmas thing, the average guest doesn't really care about details like that. :wave:

A lot of what I have read pointed to a new film for the 25th anniversary of EPCOT in 2007. Being originally from Los Angeles (now living in the Orlando area), I rode Soarin' Over California many times and yet seeing the same film at WDW is still a great experience. The weird edit in the pre-show (the removal of the words "Over California"), still jars me.

MicBat

While it is one of my favorites, definitely not everyone likes Soarin'. I think a lot of it has to do with the wait time. After waiting over 2 hours for a ride, it takes a lot more than a fancy imax to impress people. Steve is right, though... Soarin' has the highest guest satisfaction rate of any attraction, show, or parade in WDW history. I think its something like 95%?

Uponastar

Wow! Sorry, but I can't agree with the initial poster. I love Soarin'! I agree with Steve that it is a great addition to EPCOT! I rode it a total of 10 times on our last trip and would have done it more if time allowed. As a previous post stated, there was always a small ovation after each ride. Sorry you didn't like it.

MissM

Being terrified of heights, I was initially really afraid I wouldn't be able to enjoy the ride. However, I found it was the most amazing experience for me. Getting to see from up above like that without the panic attack it would normally instill and being and doing something I'd never get to do in real life because of my massive fear, was the icing on the cake for me.

California has beautiful scenery. I didn't for a moment think it was inappropriate to show that off here in Florida. I've never been there myself so that added to the appeal of getting to see something new and in such a unique format.

We got on the ride, walked off and immediately went right back on. I absolutely love it and I'm thrilled that it came to Epcot for our enjoyment.
-m

SewIn2Disney

I love Soarin so much I downloaded the video and put it on my iPod. I watch it nearly daily. While I love the "over California" part of it, I think making a new movie in a few years will keep the re-ridability factor going.

maharet97a

Is the queue for Soarin' really as much as two hours? Or is this during peak hours? If so when would be the best time to try to ride to avoid a wait? My husband and I have ridden several times here at DLR, but friends and family going with us haven't, and I'd hate for them to miss this amazing attraction or have it tarnished by the aggrevation of such a long wait. We'll be at the resort in early Feb, mid-week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom