question about renting DVC points for the VGF in december

Anna L

Original Poster
I contacted 2 different DVC rental brokers (one was Davids) but there were no VGF available 11 months out. Does anyone know if it is even possible to rent a studio villa at the GF for december 2014? im doing this for the first time and really unsure about the best way to go about renting DVC points. I REALLY want to stay at the GF though, if possible! thanks for any info/help!

EOD K9

I contacted 2 different DVC rental brokers (one was Davids) but there were no VGF available 11 months out. Does anyone know if it is even possible to rent a studio villa at the GF for december 2014? im doing this for the first time and really unsure about the best way to go about renting DVC points. I REALLY want to stay at the GF though, if possible! thanks for any info/help!
There is nothing wrong with reputable brokers, however, they rely on the members with points to rent them at the right time. They get their points from DVC members as they come in. They do not have a pool of points just waiting to be used whenever they feel like it. I'd ask to be put on a waiting list if I were you. There aren't too many GFV studios to begin with. Your other option is to maybe find someone on here. Biggest thing is to not stop trying. Good luck.

bubster

Problem is that VGF is not near sold out and the owners are staying there themselves, not renting out their points.
December? No way. The 1st 2 weeks of December is cheap season for DVC, most every place books up fast. They are selling fixed weeks at VGF and I believe the December weeks sold out almost immediately.

If you really want to stay there you may have a much better chance getting a cash reservation. Or maybe you could look on rent/trade boards and advertise your dates and you could get lucky. But expect to pay a premium to stay there at that time.

Good luck.

Ariel484

Good luck. I also tried to rent a studio at VGF through David's for January and ran into the same situation you did - no points there to rent (I'm guessing because it's so new that no members want to rent out their points yet). In the meantime David's contacted me to let me know that all of the studios there are booked for my dates, so I rented elsewhere.

slappy magoo

Between the facts that a: VGF is new so a disproportionate amount of members want to stay there
b: VGF is not sold out so there aren't a lot of members yet.
c: December is a busy time
d: Many DVC members who own points at VGF did it as an "add-on" to existing memberships so they probably don't have many points, meaning they have more points at different resorts and smaller amounts of VGF points, enough to book there every couple of years at the 11 month window but not enough to stay there all the time...

Between all of that, it would probably be easier to try to book a room at VGF direct from Disney itself, IF staying there is very important to you, and knowing right now that you've got it. Of course, it will also be much more expensive.

But this doesn't mean that the DVC resale places like David's aren't good at what they do or not trying to provide their services to you. As others have written, David's gets a supply of DVC points to rent out when DVC members offer them their points to rent. They're the go-between, the third party that facilitates the deals between renters and owners. If they don't have the supply, they can't meet your demand.

Now, the question I'd ask is - what's more important, getting a vacation in December or getting VGF in December? If you can't get VGF, is that a deal-breaker?

I don't know if you can plan ahead with David's but if you can, I'd suggest asking them to try to book VGF for you in May, once you're within the 7-month window and any DVC points can be used. You might get lucky. But you can also give them backup options and you might get those too. If it's most important for you to get a WDW trip in December using rented DVC points, I'm sure they'll be able to get you something - even if it's "only" OKW or SSR but very possible BLT, VWL, VAK, BCV or BWV, too - and the rooms will be nicer and the amenities better than much of anything else in a Value or Mod at a comparable or acceptable price.

Ariel484

But this doesn't mean that the DVC resale places like David's aren't good at what they do or not trying to provide their services to you. As others have written, David's gets a supply of DVC points to rent out when DVC members offer them their points to rent. They're the go-between, the third party that facilitates the deals between renters and owners. If they don't have the supply, they can't meet your demand.
Absolutely agree. David's sent me quite a few emails to keep me updated when they initially couldn't book VGF for me. They alerted me right away when all of the studios were booked so I could submit new requests. I was actually checking with a second rental company at the same time (seemed like a good idea to have as many opportunities to rent as possible) and didn't get any such updates from them, so I was impressed that David's was on top of things even if the outcome wasn't what I was hoping for.
I don't know if you can plan ahead with David's but if you can, I'd suggest asking them to try to book VGF for you in May, once you're within the 7-month window and any DVC points can be used. You might get lucky. But you can also give them backup options and you might get those too. If it's most important for you to get a WDW trip in December using rented DVC points, I'm sure they'll be able to get you something - even if it's "only" OKW or SSR but very possible BLT, VWL, VAK, BCV or BWV, too - and the rooms will be nicer and the amenities better than much of anything else in a Value or Mod at a comparable or acceptable price.
That was the plan for me originally, to wait and book at the 7-month mark (June), but the inventory just isn't there for my dates. Bay Lake Tower was the same way. I could have booked at Wilderness Lodge but decided to put in a request at the Boardwalk (preferred/water view) instead. Got an email the next day with my reservation number...not the VGF like I'd wanted but not too shabby and still a heck of a lot better than paying for a regular room. :)

slappy magoo

Absolutely agree. David's sent me quite a few emails to keep me updated when they initially couldn't book VGF for me. They alerted me right away when all of the studios were booked so I could submit new requests. I was actually checking with a second rental company at the same time (seemed like a good idea to have as many opportunities to rent as possible) and didn't get any such updates from them, so I was impressed that David's was on top of things even if the outcome wasn't what I was hoping for.
I almost rented a few points from David's. I had a 6 night trip already booked using my own DVC points and renting a few direct from Disney, but wanted to make it a full 7 nights. I wrote him to ask him some questions one night and he replied answering all my questions by 10am the next day. As it turns out, paying cash for the room with a DVC discount was about the same for me than renting points from David's, one of those odd quirks and even he was surprised but confirmed the math. If I ever had to rent points, he'd be my first source, if only for the prompt customer service when I was just a potential customer.

Ariel484

I almost rented a few points from David's. I had a 6 night trip already booked using my own DVC points and renting a few direct from Disney, but wanted to make it a full 7 nights. I wrote him to ask him some questions one night and he replied answering all my questions by 10am the next day. As it turns out, paying cash for the room with a DVC discount was about the same for me than renting points from David's, one of those odd quirks and even he was surprised but confirmed the math. If I ever had to rent points, he'd be my first source, if only for the prompt customer service when I was just a potential customer.
We've used them...5 times now I think? And we've been pretty impressed overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom