Question about Pirates of the Caribbean & its presence in the parks

pajammies

Original Poster
I'm just curious if anyone can explain to me why there really isn't much of a presence from the movies at Disney. It seems that the movies were, and still are (considering another one coming out) a hit.

Was it just bad timing as far as money goes? Or what happened?
I personally would love to see a land at Disney dedicated to Pirates.

pajammies

Original Poster
I know about the ride, wondering why there isn't more.
It just seems like they could have done a whole land at MK or DHS and it would have been great.

pajammies

Original Poster
I did say "much of a presence"
I guess I should add too, that I realize not every movie is going to turn into a land or something huge.
The movies just seemed to be bigger than some of the current movies that are getting turned into huge attractions.
For example, is Frozen bigger than the Pirates movies are? Was is just a pick and choose sort of situation? Was it money?
Just wondering if there's a reason for not cashing in on Pirates.

MrDee

They, "could have,"but "No,"they should NOT have. Big difference. I liked the Jack Sparrow additions, don't get me wrong, but for longevity's sake and pure nostalgia, the Pirates I first saw at Disneyland (way back in the 70's) rule supreme. Don't mess with my childhood, man! Just don't.

HolleBolleGijs

They're not going to create a whole land, ESPECIALLY in MK where the attraction already exists, and where there is a pretty classic structure of lands. It wouldn't work anywhere else, because that would basically just be Adventureland in another park.

EDIT: grammar typo

Last edited:

pajammies

Original Poster
Like I said I do get that not all good movies will be turned into a land. I shouldn't have used the word land, that was just an example of what I would have liked.
Maybe a restaurant or something else?
I'm just asking, about why the opportunity wasn't used.
Does that make sense? Maybe I didn't word it the right way.

Mouse_Trap

I did say "much of a presence"
I guess I should add too, that I realize not every movie is going to turn into a land or something huge.
The movies just seemed to be bigger than some of the current movies that are getting turned into huge attractions.
For example, is Frozen bigger than the Pirates movies are? Was is just a pick and choose sort of situation? Was it money?
Just wondering if there's a reason for not cashing in on Pirates.

It's only Avatar that I can think of which is getting the big treatment, and that will be a 9 year old film by the time the land opens, though there are sequels set to follow.

I wouldn't consider Frozen to be getting a huge attraction. They're re-skinning a 20 year old attraction and not even changing the ride system or path/track. It will be big for 9 year old and younger girls and that's probably it. Oh yeah, it's getting a relocated meet & grope location too.

Even Frozen will be almost 3 years old by the time it's overlays done.

Disney does not rush its attraction development and construction that's for sure.

pajammies

Original Poster
It's only Avatar that I can think of which is getting the big treatment, and that will be a 9 year old film by the time the land opens, though there are sequels set to follow.

I wouldn't consider Frozen to be getting a huge attraction. They're re-skinning a 20 year old attraction and not even changing the ride system or path/track. It will be big for 9 year old and younger girls and that's probably it. Oh yeah, it's getting a relocated meet & grope :eek::hilarious:location too.

Even Frozen will be almost 3 years old by the time it's overlays done.

Disney does not rush its attraction development and construction that's for sure.

Frozen does have a presence in specialty fireworks at Christmas, meet and greet and a ride coming. Is there more I can't remember?
But that's true, I guess, they're not quick. Maybe I can still hope more will come. But I realize likely not.

Matt_Black

I notice they do a lot of stuff and events for "pirates" in general, but not specifically Pirates of the Caribbean. First that covers properties that aren't tied into the PotC franchise, like Jake & The Neverland Pirates. Second, it's a bit of isolation in case the next installment in the PotC film franchise is a big flop.

Flippin'Flounder

Pirates is an attraction at very MK in the world, there is a M&G too, and there will be a land in Shanghai. Also, yes, Frozen is bigger than Pirates.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Heck there was even that little thing at Hollywood Studios for a while.

Pirates is a great franchise and all.. But it doesn't really need anything more than it already is. Its presence in the theme parks is, in my opinion, just right. Not too much an not too little.

Sure, an entire land themed to Harry Potter, Star Wars and Avatar sounds pretty cool and all... But there is such a thing as too much of it. And in my opinion, Universal has way too much Harry Potter now. And Universal has a lot more to choose from which could draw equally big crowds. Credit, they did say it was going to feel like a "theme park within a theme park" and that's exactly what Universal is now. Two theme parks with a 3rd harry potter theme park.

I feel like that's whats going to happen to HS.. A small theme park with a Star Wars theme park attached to the side. It's just too much Star Wars. Too much Avatar. Too much Frozen. It's unnecessary.

I prefer things like the Fantasyland expansion. Give me a variety! Again, this is just what I wish they would do.

pajammies

Original Poster
Pirates is an attraction at very MK in the world, there is a M&G too, and there will be a land in Shanghai. Also, yes, Frozen is bigger than Pirates.

I know I didn't specify which Disney I was talking about, but I was talking about Disney World in Florida, because in my mind that is the only one there is,
considering I will never get to any other one:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom