Question about old Fantasyland

ght

Original Poster
This may have been posted or asked before, if so I apologize but I am curious about something and wanted to ask some of the posters here who are trusted to have inside knowledge/sources (such as raven and Lee). After the FLE is completed do you have any sense that there will be changes to the existing Fantasyland? For instance updating the facades and getting rid of the medieval fair tent theming? I know the recent refurbs to PPF and SW would seem to indicate no, but I am excited to see this new expansion (if nothing else it gives the MK Fantasyland something that really distinguishes it from the other parks) and it would be nice to see the entire area get a fresh new look.

Lee

Adventurer
Nah, not really.
The existing rides that will be located "inside the castle walls" will mostly retain their current theming. Only the "Forrest" facades will be different, like Pooh.

ght

Original Poster
Nah, not really.
The existing rides that will be located "inside the castle walls" will mostly retain their current theming. Only the "Forrest" facades will be different, like Pooh.

That is sort of what I figured. Either way, as I mentioned I am very happy to see the new expansion. I know some may be disappointed there isn't a big E-ticket ride in the works but the fact that it will make the land unique and not just a "copy of Disneyland's with less rides" as it is often characterized is exciting.

S

stphnbogert

Would the new expansion be considered a new land since they called it Fantasyland Forest or will it just show at Fantasyland?

spectromagic04

Does anybody know if they are planning to refurbish Peter Pan in the near future? I think it could really use an lengthy refurbishment.

Tom

Beta Return
Would the new expansion be considered a new land since they called it Fantasyland Forest or will it just show at Fantasyland?

Just one big Fantasyland.

Adding a sub-land to the maps would really confuse the easily-confused guests...which seems to be most of them.

aladdin2007

I think it's had a small refurb within the last three years. Mostly repainting the scenes inside/ dusting.

Its overdue for a massive overhaul. It may have had some dusting but thats about it, nothing has been done in recent years except basic repairs to a part or two that hasnt worked etc. Sadly TDO lets things rot sometimes before doing anything.

aka_emilicious

Its overdue for a massive overhaul. It may have had some dusting but thats about it, nothing has been done in recent years except basic repairs to a part or two that hasnt worked etc. Sadly TDO lets things rot sometimes before doing anything.

Don't get me wrong, Pan is about 30 years overdue for an overhaul. Having worked on the ride, I've seen first hand how badly it needs to be refurbished.

What I meant is that since Pan has recently had a small, disappointing refurbishment, I think its unlikely it will get a major one anytime soon.

That being said, maybe TDO will smile upon us and after the (hopefully) 2 D-Ticket rides open in the expansion, it will draw enough crowds away to give Peter Pan the refurbishment is needs and, imo, deserves.

/Thread Hijack

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why is Pan always so crazy busy as opposed to the rides right next to it? That always bothers me I have to easy pass it.
From my understanding it is not that Pooh and Snow White are less popular it is that the hourly capacity of Pan is considerably lower.

reactortrip

From my understanding it is not that Pooh and Snow White are less popular it is that the hourly capacity of Pan is considerably lower.

yeah, that's probably it, it just bothers me a lot that a constant moving ride gets that backed up compared to the lines around it. I saw IASW and SW with no wait and PP with a 50 min wait last week. LOL

aladdin2007

Don't get me wrong, Pan is about 30 years overdue for an overhaul. Having worked on the ride, I've seen first hand how badly it needs to be refurbished.

What I meant is that since Pan has recently had a small, disappointing refurbishment, I think its unlikely it will get a major one anytime soon.

That being said, maybe TDO will smile upon us and after the (hopefully) 2 D-Ticket rides open in the expansion, it will draw enough crowds away to give Peter Pan the refurbishment is needs and, imo, deserves.

/Thread Hijack

Agreed, hopefully they will give it some love once the new things are up and running. Its such a classic that it makes it extra popular. Its def one of my favs. Must have been exciting to work in it... Would have been nice if for the 40th it could have been revamped but maybe by the 50th instead, tiki room too. There wont be a 40th anniversary anyway it sounds like so guess it doesnt matter time wise.

AEfx

You won't see a real refurb of Peter Pan until Disney decides to invest some major moolah.

They can't do much but clean and spruce because anything else and they trigger the ADA - the attraction is non-compliant, and the only reason they are allowed to keep it that way is because it's been grandfathered in.

Any beyond-minor work to the ride would trigger this, which would need a massive amount of work (basically down to the ride system itself).

Neverland

And it also used to be the only ride in Fantasyland with a fastpass/standby merge point. That slows things down a considerable amount, because the merge CM has to completely halt the standby line to let in a larger number of fastpass guests (Pooh has an approximate 50:10 ratio, not sure about Peter Pan). Snow White has no fastpass, and until recently, Pooh had two entirely separate queues for standby and fastpass. Line movement at Pooh has slowed quite a bit since the addition of a merge point in the new queue.

RSoxNo1

And it also used to be the only ride in Fantasyland with a fastpass/standby merge point. That slows things down a considerable amount, because the merge CM has to completely halt the standby line to let in a larger number of fastpass guests (Pooh has an approximate 50:10 ratio, not sure about Peter Pan). Snow White has no fastpass, and until recently, Pooh had two entirely separate queues for standby and fastpass. Line movement at Pooh has slowed quite a bit since the addition of a merge point in the new queue.

It stops the flow of the standby line, but it doesn't disrupt the flow of actual load. There's enough of a buffer being built by the cast member at the merge point so that the cast member that's loading guests into the attraction always has guests waiting to board.

To speak to the ADA issues, I wonder what's the option here. I would guess a major refurb would result in the ability to pull vehicles offline to load guests. Personally, I'd love to see a complete replacement of the ride system once New Fantasyland opens. Make larger capacity boats, address the ADA issues and incorporate other improvements to the attraction itself.

aka_emilicious

How are the tunnels (if at all) being effected by the expansion? :shrug:

They are building new tunnels for the expansion, but they won't connect to the old utilidors. I think its too expensive to bring the old ones up to code in order to connect the two.

Kind of like it's too expensive to update Peter Pan to code , as well

TRONorail10

They are building new tunnels for the expansion, but they won't connect to the old utilidors. I think its too expensive to bring the old ones up to code in order to connect the two.

The new tunnel(s) should begin next to the secondary tunnel towards the back of the utilidors. Whether they completely connect is hard to say, until the construction work is finalized because the section is still blocked off to cast members. On a side note, the area i've mention is located in between the structures for the Beauty and the Beast complex and Pinnochio's Village House.

Tom

Beta Return

The new tunnel(s) should begin next to the secondary tunnel towards the back of the utilidors. Whether they completely connect is hard to say, until the construction work is finalized because the section is still blocked off to cast members. On a side note, the area i've mention is located in between the structures for the Beauty and the Beast complex and Pinnochio's Village House.

There was a little tunnel work along the north edge of the existing "tunnel" that was under Arial's Grotto area. In fact, they put the "lid" on it between the last two sets of aerial photos. This was probably to allow Belle to gain access to her cottage from below.

As for really expanding the tunnels, I'm not so sure that's happening anymore, since there won't be any MnGs in the isolated area. There was a plan that showed an expanded tunnel that led out to the princess area, but there would be no need for one if they build the SW Mine Ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom