Question about Cancelling Reservations?

mclancey

Original Poster
I made quite a few ADR's. I'm sure we'll use most of them, but if we're having too much fun or just aren't hungry yet, does it make any difference if we don't call to cancel??? I'm only talking about simple ADR's, nothing that was reserved with a Credit Card. Thanks!

fireworkz

Did you double up anywhere? Like book two or more locations within a two or three hour span? If so you might be in trouble.... the ADR system is set up to purge any duplicate reservations every few days. When it finds them it will cancel all conflicting reservations leaving you with none. Disney doesn't like it if you tie up tables by making duplicate reservations.

I believe there is a way to cancel reservations online, it's not exactly user friendly to find it. I think there is information in the confirmation email the system sends you about how to change or cancel reservations.

cslafferty

I understand wanting to book as many ADRs as you can to leave your options open. It's hard to plan so far out in advance, hard to know what you'll be in the mood for, and impossible to guess if you'll even be hungry at that time or would rather just ride rides. It certainly takes the spontaneity out of a vacation. Having said that, I also know how frustrating it is to try to book ADRs at favorite restaurants 180 days out and not be able to get anything. Going to some of our favorite restaurants is as important as riding our favorite rides! I would be appreciative to anyone who can plan as best as possible and cancel any ADRs you don't think you'll use. Every one that you cancel is someone else's good fortune! Just my opinion :wave:

Mukta

I understand wanting to book as many ADRs as you can to leave your options open. It's hard to plan so far out in advance, hard to know what you'll be in the mood for, and impossible to guess if you'll even be hungry at that time or would rather just ride rides. It certainly takes the spontaneity out of a vacation. Having said that, I also know how frustrating it is to try to book ADRs at favorite restaurants 180 days out and not be able to get anything. Going to some of our favorite restaurants is as important as riding our favorite rides! I would be appreciative to anyone who can plan as best as possible and cancel any ADRs you don't think you'll use. Every one that you cancel is someone else's good fortune! Just my opinion :wave:

I agree with this poster. We would all be grateful to get those reservations.

mclancey

Original Poster
I didn't double up on anything, the online reservations doesn't let you double book either, for instance, today I booked Via Napoli and already had a reservation for that night, it asks you if you want to cancel the existing reservation before it'll confirm the new one. and it's easy to cancel online, unfortunately I won't be carrying around a laptop with me. However, before I was making my ADR's online, I was calling when I wanted to make changes and sometimes it can be a 20 minute call just to cancel a reservation. If you read the Unofficial Guide it explains that an ADR is not a real reservation, it doesn't mean they hold a table, it just puts you on a list to get the next available table once you show up (and after everyone else that was waiting before you for a table with an ADR.) I see what you're saying about someone else not being able to make a reservation if I take that time slot. but it's also one additional table that would be available for a customer without a reservation. I'm going to try to make it to all of my reservations but if for some reason I miss one and don't cancel a few hours before, does Disney hold that against you? I'm not just trying to fill all available meal times with reservations, I just made reservations for the places I want to go. I'm just wondering if we realize 45 minutes before a reservation time we're not going to make it, is it important that I call the reservations line to let them know?

mclancey

Original Poster
by the way i'm not going at a very busy time, I got every reservation I wanted on the first day and time I put in, being only 40 days out, including the princess breakfast in the castle. According to everything I've read I didn't think I'd get anything, but everthing was available. I'm going Sept. 5th to Sept. 18th.

Mukta

I'm just wondering if we realize 45 minutes before a reservation time we're not going to make it, is it important that I call the reservations line to let them know?

Nah. But if you have an inkling that morning, tell your hotel concierge and they can cancel it for you.

fireworkz

I didn't double up on anything, the online reservations doesn't let you double book either

Ahw they must have fixed that up since the last time I booked! If all you're worried about is the day of not making it to an ADR I won't worry. They know stuff happens and you can't always make it.

DABIGCHEEZ

I didn't double up on anything, the online reservations doesn't let you double book either, for instance, today I booked Via Napoli and already had a reservation for that night, it asks you if you want to cancel the existing reservation before it'll confirm the new one. and it's easy to cancel online, unfortunately I won't be carrying around a laptop with me. However, before I was making my ADR's online, I was calling when I wanted to make changes and sometimes it can be a 20 minute call just to cancel a reservation. If you read the Unofficial Guide it explains that an ADR is not a real reservation, it doesn't mean they hold a table, it just puts you on a list to get the next available table once you show up (and after everyone else that was waiting before you for a table with an ADR.) I see what you're saying about someone else not being able to make a reservation if I take that time slot. but it's also one additional table that would be available for a customer without a reservation. I'm going to try to make it to all of my reservations but if for some reason I miss one and don't cancel a few hours before, does Disney hold that against you? I'm not just trying to fill all available meal times with reservations, I just made reservations for the places I want to go. I'm just wondering if we realize 45 minutes before a reservation time we're not going to make it, is it important that I call the reservations line to let them know?

I certainly would make sure all my ride restraints are tight and locked in after not canceling a reservation. :D

Seriously though is it that hard to plan a meal you apparently really want to enjoy and make it there on time? If you want to be spontaneous thats fine... then take your chances at walk-ins(it is part of the FUN of being spontaneous, right?). I just don't get why folks make an ADR and then not show or cancel. Very inconsiderate and yes it does make a difference. When you know you are not going to make it.... CANCEL IT, no matter how close to the ADR.

I really wish WDW would charge/penalize those that do not show up or do not cancel a ressie.

3WaltFans

Yes it makes a difference. one it's common courtesy, two it help's the restaurant in case someone would like to make a reservation that day and three for walk in's, that maybe that don't wait as long.

Please go down to the desk at your hotel and they will help you.

BE NICE, it makes the world a better place.

WendyTinkerbell

I believe you can cancel them at the parks as well. Just go by the place in the parks that can make ADRs for you and let them know you are won't be able to make it to your ADR. They may also be able to move it or suggest somewhere else that day. We always go by the place on the right side of DHS and see if Brown Derby is available for lunch for 2 and usually get in. We have also cancelled ADRs there. Super nice, quick and easy!

Rob562

I believe you can cancel them at the parks as well. Just go by the place in the parks that can make ADRs for you and let them know you are won't be able to make it to your ADR. They may also be able to move it or suggest somewhere else that day. We always go by the place on the right side of DHS and see if Brown Derby is available for lunch for 2 and usually get in. We have also cancelled ADRs there. Super nice, quick and easy!

Heck, they can even cancel them at restaurants for a different restaurant... We went into City Hall to get same-day reservations for Tony's, but nothing was available, so we booked at Liberty Tree.

That evening, about 30 minutes before our LTT time, we stopped into Tony's and they were able to take us as a walk-in. The guy working the podium took the card for our LTT reservation and cancelled it for us.

-Rob

pluto77

I didn't double up on anything, the online reservations doesn't let you double book either, for instance, today I booked Via Napoli and already had a reservation for that night, it asks you if you want to cancel the existing reservation before it'll confirm the new one.
The online system DOES let you double book (if you hit don't cancel then it keeps the old one and books the new one), but really you should cancel one once you decide. I would only book it if I was pretty postive I would be dining there. Like others have stated you will be opening up a time for someone else by cancelling the ones you won't use.

Larry Mondello

The reservation system is kind of a joke. The last three times we went to Disney we could not get reservations at Boma. Each time we were told we could show up at 5:00pm and we would be seated if people with reservations did not show up. Each time we were seated right at 5:00pm and the place was only three quarters full.

We are going next week and again we are told that they are booked. The link below however says otherwise.
http://thedailydisney.com/blog/2010/07/is-disney-world-quieter-than-usual-this-summer/

fireworkz

I've been told by some people very experienced making dining reservations at the last minute how Disney only opens so many tables at the 180 days mark for reservations, then some more later depending on the amount already made. They then hold back some remaining tables for reservations to be made 5 days to 1 day ahead. This is supposedly why the phone system asks (or use to ask?) if you're at the resort or will be there within five days. This way people who don't know about the 180 day mark can get some reservations in.

I don't have any evidence to support this, but my own experiences seem to. I hardly make ADRs, as I don't like to being dictated where to go that day based on where I booked to eat. I only book busier places like Le Cellier or Chef Mickey's in advance. For everything else my party walks up to about 15-30 minutes before the usual time (after 11:30ish for lunch, 5:30ish for dinner) and have always got in and were seated fairly quickly. Of course the restaurants are relatively empty when we arrive, but when we leave 1-1.5 hours later there often still seems to be a few tables left.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom