Quality of Illuminations

AdLibSean

Original Poster
ISTCNavigator57 said:
It's still a fantastic show and most guests will not think anything of the changes--just us highly analytical fans :)

I couldn't agree more. After watching numerous video of the debut show in 2000 and seeing it practically every year since, its really noticable to the die-hard fan that the quality has gone down. They just seem messier, and not as grand.

The huge shell at the end of Wishes is my favorite. I'm glad they held over that effect from FITS- the hanging "pixie-dust-esque" shell is my favorite.

My question though is WHY has Illuminations had to change its pyro type to survive? Cost?

ToTBellHop

Cost is probably a really big reason. With Wishes being vastly more expensive than Fantasy in the Sky, they need to distribute money better.

Woody13

boo52 said:
None of these two quoted items are true in any sense. When you say reduced in amount, Wishes had increased from 240 shells with FITS to some where near 360 1.3G shells and 300 or so 1.4G. Which BTW is no longer called Class B or C. So Wishes was NOT design for "reduced mortar rounds". And as in reduced in size. Wishes increased it's sizes overall. FITS used 4" thru 12" shells. With the majority being made up of 5" shells. Wishes uses 5" thru 10" With the majority 6". So Disney has not reduced it's quanity, application, or size of it's shells due to terrorist activities. As for Illuminations, there was another reason some shells were changed in that show. Again, not because of terorists.

Just to clear up any misunderstanding, pyrotechnic devices are regulated in the United States by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) which is a division of the Department of Treasury and the Department of Transportation respectively. While you may call them something else, current federal law recognizes Class C and Class B explosives as follows:

"Title XI of the Organized Crime Control Act of 1970 (18 U.S.C. Chapter 40) establishes controls over explosive materials, including black powder and other pyrotechnic compositions commonly used in fireworks. Part 55 of Title 27, Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), contains the regulations which implement Title XI. § 55.141(a)(7) exempts "the importation and distribution of fireworks classified as Class C explosives and generally known as 'common fireworks,' and other Class C explosives, as described by U.S. Department of Transportation regulations in 49 CFR 173 .100(p),(r),(t),(u), and (x)."

§ 55.141(a)(7) does not exempt "special fireworks" (often referred to as "display fireworks") which are classified by the Department of Transportation as Class "B" explosives. The exemption applies only to "common fireworks" in a finished state classified by the Department of Transportation as Class "C" explosives (49 CFR § 173.100)."

Therefore, call them what you will, but Class B & C explosives are defined in the law.

Also the pyrotechnic formulary has been changed. If you are a powder monkey, then you understand.

wannab@dis

Although I can comment on the "technical" side of the show, I have noticed that RoE is not quite the show it used to be. Don't get me wrong, it's still a good show, but two things have happened.

1. The show doesn't seem to have the power that it used to have. I noticed last Dec that it seemed to be quieter and had less impact. I guess some could argue that the spot you stand in could make a difference, but I don't think so. It also seemed that everything happened lower as some have mentioned.

2. Wishes came along and showed us what an AWESOME fireworks show should be. I can't describe how much impact Wishes had and how precise and perfectly choreographed the show is. I really envy the people that haven't seen it yet. Here are a few pictures I took in Dec. The first is a shot of what someone called "hanging pixie dust"... perfect description!

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

showphoto.php

speck76

I have seen ROE about 20 times over the last 2 months. I think the show is becoming hit or miss. For a streak of about 2 weeks, the inferno barge was not working, but I think it may have been out for rehab, as now the inferno barge fire effect looks better. The timing does not seem as good anymore, but this may be because I have seen Wishes more, and IMO Wishes is timed better with the music.

This last week, the fountain facing Mexico was out for Chaos, but after that park, a boat raced out to it and fixed it for the remainder of the show. The larger shells at the climax of the show are a bit underwhelming compared to the shells at the climax of Wishes also.

I don't really know if ROE is self-destructing from age and/or cost savings measures, or if it just no longer seems so fanatasic since Wishes has raised the bar....either way, it is still a great show.

DisneyPan

I have an idea. Do you think ROE has lower exploding shells so not to disturb Fantasmic! over at the studios? Have you noticed when watching Fant! you're attention is taken away from the show and moved to the skies over Epcot? It's just another thought.

civileng68

Account Suspended
my opinon

DisneyPan said:
I have an idea. Do you think ROE has lower exploding shells so not to disturb Fantasmic! over at the studios? Have you noticed when watching Fant! you're attention is taken away from the show and moved to the skies over Epcot? It's just another thought.

Actually I dont think so. If Fantasmic is happening, the way it's set up you can't really see Illuminations all that well if at all depending on the vegetation at the time. Also if Fantasmic is at a noisy part you can't hear it well.

I think the lower level pyro's at WSL are because of the space they have. If they exploded wider and higher, the fallout would engulf the crowd, and in many cases, still burning.

The show is diminishing due to size and the fact that we've seen Wishes now. I do think they need to keep Illuminations as it was at the peak of it's performance because otherwise it will really disappoint people.

ToTBellHop

You can definitely CLEARLY see several fireworks from IllumiNations during Fantasmic (everyone looks that direction when they are exploding). Likewise, Fantasmic lights up the skies southwest of World Showcase during IllumiNations when Fantasmic! is playing.

wannab@dis

I've seen RoE from one side of the Fantasmic! theater, but from the other, we only saw the glow. We did hear it from both locations, but it didn't affect the showing of Fantasmic.

CubbieMan

I wonder if it is possible that the Florida residents are taking Illuminations for granted...perhaps seeing it so much it is not as speical as it once use to be. I for one am looking forward to seeing the ROE version of illuminations...when I was a florida resident I would visit wdw several times a year...I have since moved to Wisconsin 5 years ago...and it has been that long since I have been back to WDW..thus I have not seen the newer show..I am looking forward to the updated show

ToTBellHop

CubbieMan said:
I wonder if it is possible that the Florida residents are taking Illuminations for granted...perhaps seeing it so much it is not as speical as it once use to be. I for one am looking forward to seeing the ROE version of illuminations...when I was a florida resident I would visit wdw several times a year...I have since moved to wdw 5 years ago...and it has been that long since I have been back..I am looking forward to the updated show
I'm not a Florida resident...I go to Disney World one week each year (and my next trip is actually not until 2006 due to the Disneyland Resort being my Disney trip next year) and I have noticed the changes ;)

CubbieMan

ISTCNavigator57 said:
I'm not a Florida resident...I go to Disney World one week each year (and my next trip is actually not until 2006 due to the Disneyland Resort being my Disney trip next year) and I have noticed the changes ;)

Well I could be wrong...either way I won't noticed I have not been since they changed Illuminations to Reflections of Earth..:)

ToTBellHop

and I'm sure 99% of guests don't notice it. Again...it's still a FANTASTIC show...I saw it 3 times this past trip :) It's just...98% of its former self lol (sometimes less, when things break).

CubbieMan

And I am going in October so I will see it 1st hand..I am just wondering if Epcot wil still hold my fav nighttime show..or perhaps MK will replace it Once I see wishes..either way this will be an exciting trip...There is so much to look forward to..probably cause I have not been in so long

DigitalDisney

I haven't noticed the changes in fireworks on a show to show basis, but I unfortunately don't visit WDW enough to notice. I wouldn't be surprised if the quality (i.e. price) of the fireworks has changed over time.

The quality of incarnations of Illuminations has changed over time. I don't remember specifics about the Illuminations and Illuminations 25 shows, but I do remember them being much better than ROE. The original show had the laser ball, lasers and lights in nearly allof the countries, and the dancing fountains in the middle of the lagoon.

The coolest part of the original show(s) was that, on your way out of the park, a laser drew a rotating image of planet Earth on Spaceship Earth.

Aahhh...the memories :)

ToTBellHop

Well, it's your opinion, of couse, but technically, Reflections of Earth is the largest, most expensive firework show in Epcot history. It's the best, to me. A compilation of non-Disney classical music just doesn't compare with Reflections of Earth's music, I feel...and the new Earth Barge beats those cheap green laser images, paws down. Just about the only thing I noticed a decrease of with Reflections is the visibility of the lasers. They are very hard to see...you really have to look hard. But, if you are at MGM for Fantasmic! and look over toward World Showcase, you can easily see the lasers shooting off into space :)

WDWScottieBoy

I love RoE and I have ever since I first saw it. The music, quality, the show overall cannot be beat. This last trip (Nov 2003) I saw Wishes for the first time and fell in love with it too. I still can't say that Wishes is better than RoE though. I love both shows a lot, but I don't know where or how you can compare. The show itself, the display, the music, all of it is fantastic. I will always love Disney's nighttime firework shows!

DigitalDisney

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Well, it's your opinion, of couse, but technically, Reflections of Earth is the largest, most expensive firework show in Epcot history. It's the best, to me. A compilation of non-Disney classical music just doesn't compare with Reflections of Earth's music, I feel...and the new Earth Barge beats those cheap green laser images, paws down. Just about the only thing I noticed a decrease of with Reflections is the visibility of the lasers. They are very hard to see...you really have to look hard. But, if you are at MGM for Fantasmic! and look over toward World Showcase, you can easily see the lasers shooting off into space :)
Of course it is just my opinion.

I like the technology used in ROE, but I think the show layout stinks.

The globe is really cool from a technology and presentation standpoint. My problem is that the segment with the globe is damn boring. People start talking amongst themselves when the globe has center stage (once again, it's boring). The globe would be better used if it complimented something, whether it be fountains, other lights, fireworks, etc.

The previous versions of Illuminations were better because:
- No downtime during the show. Something was always happening, be it fountains, fireworks, or individual country presentations
- The music selection was better, because it was primarily classical music but it also incorporated ethnic music from other countries. Note: I like the current show's soundtrack and own the CD, but I prefer the classical music a little better.
- The show gave some countries another look. Sometimes it was just a different light scheme (USA was lit up with good ol' red, white and blue). I remember Germany's main building had a gingerbread house projected onto it.
- Who can forget walking out of the park, staring at the rotating globe image projected on Spaceship Earth? That not only represented the show you just saw, but it also represented your day of discovery at EPCOT Center, and it kept you entertained on your long walk out of the park. That concept was classic Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom