Quality of Illuminations

AdLibSean

Original Poster
Is it just me or has the quality of Illuminations gone down? I realize that with Wishes probably taking most of the $$ for fireworks in the budget that it would make sense to downgrade the quality of pyro for other shows. TO me, the quality of the show has gown down significantly. The fireworks don't seem as full as in previous years- and last October no Seawall launches. (Probably weather related) Do they do the launches anymore at all? I also realize that Illuminations and other shows for that matter ALWAYS change. Has the Fantasmic pyro seen any significant change since its opening?

ToTBellHop

IllumiNations! has DEFINITELY seen a decrease in quality over the years, as is quite noticeable to those of us who see it often--the fireworks are not as long-lasting as they used to be. Yes, they still have the seawall effects, but they are broken a lot, as is the Inferno Barge. It's still an amazing show, just not what it was in 2000

raven

I agree. I used to get goose bumps watching Illunimations but they have gone away. The last time I was there the Inferno Barges didn't work all week. This took away that in-your-face feel it used to have. I just hope that these were only temporary break downs.

Bill

Account Suspended
Illuminations has had many of its more expensive fireworks replaced with cheaper, shorter-lasting fireworks. It's very sad.

General Grizz

I saw it a few months ago and didn't notice it any different. Of course, I only have the chance to see it a few times a year (compared to some of us having the leisure to go any night - darn you! :D )

If this is the case, especially about the barges! - it's my hope Disney can fix it. Illuminations is a definite "E-Ticket" show, and it deserves more than what I hear.

ToTBellHop

the barges are being fixed, but the lower quality, shorter duration fireworks are a permanent change. It's still a fantastic show and most guests will not think anything of the changes--just us highly analytical fans :)

civileng68

Account Suspended
yes

Great observation! I wrote about this late last year on my personal website.

I noticed it twice upon going two different times.

Once I noticed that the intensity of the show seemed to diminish a little.

More noticeable were some of the heights of the fireworks. I noticed at one point in the show the "white, palm" fireworks were greatly lowered in altitude totally ruining the effect.

I also noticed at the end of the show the flare finale seemed shortened.

Overall it seems to me to be the same show where the normal eye would not see it and where the trained eye would.

it was probably Disney's attempt to lower budget and do it in a way not obvious by not removing what was there but simply making it less effective and obviously removing some maintenance costs.

se8472

I took the lowering of the fireworks heights as a good thing. Keeps everything to the ground and closer to me. I like it.

Woody13

AdLibSean said:
Is it just me or has the quality of Illuminations gone down? I realize that with Wishes probably taking most of the $$ for fireworks in the budget that it would make sense to downgrade the quality of pyro for other shows. TO me, the quality of the show has gown down significantly. The fireworks don't seem as full as in previous years- and last October no Seawall launches. (Probably weather related) Do they do the launches anymore at all? I also realize that Illuminations and other shows for that matter ALWAYS change. Has the Fantasmic pyro seen any significant change since its opening?

Disney is allowed to use two only types of pyrotechnic devices:

Class B 1.3G (0335) - UN classification for explosives that pose a flaming projectile hazard (display fireworks)

These are the fireworks shells that are launched from mortars. Upon reaching the desired height, they explode or ignite in a variety of ways creating stars and other visual candy.

Class C 1.4G (0336) - UN classification for explosives that pose a limited hazard (consumer fireworks)

These fireworks contain 50 milligrams or less of flash powder for ground effects and less than 130 milligrams for aerial effects. They are small and used mainly as "spice" in a larger display.

Since 9/11, Class B devices have been reduced in size, amount and application at WDW and DL in an attempt to help forestall internal terrorist activities.

In short, "Wishes" was designed specifically for the reduced mortar rounds, while "Illuminations" has had to modify its displays just to survive. Fantasmic has never used Class B devices. :wave:

ToTBellHop

Woody13 said:

Class B 1.3G (0335) - UN classification for explosives that pose a flaming projectile hazard (display fireworks)

These are the fireworks shells that are launched from mortars. Upon reaching the desired height, they explode or ignite in a variety of ways creating stars and other visual candy.

Class C 1.4G (0336) - UN classification for explosives that pose a limited hazard (consumer fireworks)

These fireworks contain 50 milligrams or less of flash powder for ground effects and less than 130 milligrams for aerial effects. They are small and used mainly as "spice" in a larger display.

Since 9/11, Class B devices have been reduced in size, amount and application at WDW and DL in an attempt to help forestall internal terrorist activities.

In short, "Wishes" was designed specifically for the reduced mortar rounds, while "Illuminations" has had to modify its displays just to survive. Fantasmic has never used Class B devices. :wave:
very interesting! thanks!

civileng68

Account Suspended
interesting.

Woody13 said:

Very interesting, however, there's a shell in Wishes that is just absolutely massive in size. Towards the end.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
civileng68 said:
Very interesting, however, there's a shell in Wishes that is just absolutely massive in size. Towards the end.
Yeah you arent kidding. I have seen a good number of pyro shows, but that one you are talking about is huge!! The air pressure it creates is enough to blow ear drums! (kidding of course ;-) )

ToTBellHop

civileng68 said:
And it's so perfect..."When you wish upon a star, your dreams...coooooommeee....truuuuuuuuuuueeee" ~HUGE firework~ "so make a wish, and do as dreamers do..." Then those bright fireworks go right on top of the gold lit sky above Cinderella Castle abruptly to the equally abrupt "MAKE A WISH!"...Oh...so perfect. Lol...I need a life.

General Grizz

ISTCNavigator57 said:
And it's so perfect..."When you wish upon a star, your dreams...coooooommeee....truuuuuuuuuuueeee" ~HUGE firework~ "so make a wish, and do as dreamers do..." Then those bright fireworks go right on top of the gold lit sky above Cinderella Castle abruptly to the equally abrupt "MAKE A WISH!"...Oh...so perfect. Lol...I need a life.

Do you "conduct" it? :lookaroun

ToTBellHop

Yes, they call me at school every night at 8:55 pm and say "Kyle, whenever you are ready, push that big red button." It's kinda sad that I've only seen Wishes 3 times and I know which fireworks explode on which notes lol

ToTBellHop

Well, with as many times as I've seen Reflections of Earth, I could conduct it...point to a certain position in the sky the exact moment a firework is to explode there. It's funny...during Chaos, my eyes naturally move to where the next firework will explode before it is launched...so when there is a single firework missing or out of place...Kyle knows! (and no one else cares lol)

civileng68

Account Suspended
lol

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Well, with as many times as I've seen Reflections of Earth, I could conduct it...point to a certain position in the sky the exact moment a firework is to explode there. It's funny...during Chaos, my eyes naturally move to where the next firework will explode before it is launched...so when there is a single firework missing or out of place...Kyle knows! (and no one else cares lol)

Wow I can relate to that. In fact, my wife thinks I really need another hobby and that for some reason my brain must spaz when there's fireworks at Disney because I get into Euphoria mode.

boo52

In short, "Wishes" was designed specifically for the reduced mortar rounds, while "Illuminations" has had to modify its displays just to survive. Fantasmic has never used Class B devices.

None of these two quoted items are true in any sense. When you say reduced in amount, Wishes had increased from 240 shells with FITS to some where near 360 1.3G shells and 300 or so 1.4G. Which BTW is no longer called Class B or C. So Wishes was NOT design for "reduced mortar rounds". And as in reduced in size. Wishes increased it's sizes overall. FITS used 4" thru 12" shells. With the majority being made up of 5" shells. Wishes uses 5" thru 10" With the majority 6". So Disney has not reduced it's quanity, application, or size of it's shells due to terrorist activities. As for Illuminations, there was another reason some shells were changed in that show. Again, not because of terorists.

I have seen a good number of pyro shows, but that one you are talking about is huge!! The air pressure it creates is enough to blow ear drums!
Those are 2- 10" Brocade Diadum Chrysanthimums. Some of the prettiest shells in the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom