Q4 Earnings Report - Parks and Resorts

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
“No other entertainment company is better equipped to navigate the ever-evolving media landscape, thanks to our unparalleled collection of brands and franchises and our ability to leverage IP across our entire company. We look forward to launching our first direct-to-consumer streaming service in the new year, and we will continue to invest for the future and take the smart risks required to deliver shareholder value.” - Bob Iger.

My disdain for this man grows each day. This "philosophy" is the direct antithesis to everything Walt stood for.
And yes, before you say anything, I know Walt is dead and the company has been this way for a while, but my gosh.
Why didn't Iger say what he really meant? "Here at Disney, we're not interested pursuing new avenues of creativity and storytelling. We're really only interested in pursuing ideas that are sure to make us money, even if that means rehashing the same tired characters for their third and fourth movies! Hey look! Merchandise! At the end of the day, we here at the Mouse House are beholden to our shareholders. They're the most important members of our company. Their interests always come first, and let's face it, most of our customers are dumb enough to buy whatever we sell them anyways."

THIS, times a googolplex.

Anxiously awaiting the @ParentsOf4 analysis and graphs! :D

truecoat

Anyone know if the streaming service will include Disney TV shows or is it all movies? At $6.99 give or take a dollar I'm sure that will do fairly well if it includes Disney channel shows?

It will eventually include an exclusive Star Wars tv show.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Oh yeah! Give me some classic Pooh Corner and Dumbo's Circus and I'm back in the 80's! "You can flap your ears, WAIVE your trunk... and do a turn or two like the elephants do." Now where did I put those Star Wars underoos...
Throw in Under the Umbrella Tree and they'll earn a new subscriber.

SorcererMC

The first full quarter in which Pandora is open, and no mention of it doing anything to theme park attendance.

It was mentioned towards the beginning of the earnings call:
Domestic park attendance was +2% due to Avatar FoP at Pandora and GOTG at DCA.
Hurricane Irma had an adverse impact on domestic attendance of approx. 3% pts. and an aggregate impact of ~$100 mln. on operating income.
Hotel occupancy rate was down 3% [vs. last year] to 84%, while per room spending was +4%. Per capita spending was comparable to last year.
So far this qtr, domestic resort reservations are down 1% compared to last year, reflects reduced inventory due to refurbishments and booked rates are up 9%.​

Last edited:

brb1006

What better way to celebrate Mickey's 90th Birthday with a new Mickey themed parade.

Mickey Mania 2: Electric Boogaloo

GlacierGlacier

That's meaningless, Disney has many TV shows that the kids watch and then talk about at school etc. Disney already had Clone Wars which was an animated Star Wars TV show BTW. It's on NetFlix right now. SW in it's self is not having Disney TV shows, one of 100's if you include back TV shows from the past.
It's a live action TV show, not like Rebels and Clone wars were. It's totally new for star wars.

GlacierGlacier

I'm talking about shows like I Carly, Sweet Life or whatever that was. I didn't watch the shows but my kids knew them all. Kings of something??? That Spencer guy on I Carly was the worst actor. Zeke and Luther??? Older had skate boards etc. etc. Bunch of shows and I'm sure over the last 20 years there were a bunch.
I'm having difficulty understanding what you're saying. Are you thinking that the Star Wars show is a Disney Channel show? Like the bad sitcoms? Because it's almost infinitely more likely that they're doing something akin to ABC's Agents of Shield, or Netflix's Marvel shows. Movie production quality, with TV hour-long form factor.

Pixieish

I'm talking about shows like I Carly, Sweet Life or whatever that was. I didn't watch the shows but my kids knew them all. Kings of something??? That Spencer guy on I Carly was the worst actor. Zeke and Luther??? Older had skate boards etc. etc. Bunch of shows and I'm sure over the last 20 years there were a bunch.
OMG...those shows you listed are all awful. Afternoons on the Disney channel have left a lot to be desired for a long time.

rogerrabbitfan9

The Star Wars TV show could be absolutely killer for this service. There are tons of people who buy HBO purely for Game of Thrones. A good Star Wars TV show I think could have the same effect. I think it also could pull in a demographic that would otherwise not be attracted to this service (i.e. young adults that don't have kids) or people who may be on the fence on whether purchasing the service would make sense or not (i.e. family with older kids).

If I was an investor, I would be pushing hard for a Game of Thrones quality show.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Game Of thrones is in a totally different realm. Mommy **** believe it or not. Many many women like that show.

Don't want to break it to all you SW fans but sci-fi doesn't do well with the general public. At least not on TV.

Is that why no one watched all those Star Trek series? And Doctor Who. And the X-Files. And Stranger Things. And Westworld. And Stargate. And Red Dwarf. And Futurama. And Battlestar Galactica. And Rebels. And Clone Wars. And Eureka. And Warehouse 13. And Quantum Leap. And Babylon 5. And Farscape. And the Venture Brothers. And Invader Zim. And Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Pixieish

I was looking over what my son has been watching on NetFlix and he been watching Jessie. LOL. Think I know why he watches that one.

I couldn't tell you the good from the bad as far as those shows goes. Never really watch any of them all the way through. I do know I hate dance mom's. My daughter watches that and .........no comment on that bunch. I know it's not Disney BTW.
I only know some of them from the TV being left on in our den, lol. Annoying doesn't quite cut it for a descriptive.

Horizons78

Grade "A" Funny...
Is that why no one watched all those Star Trek series? And Doctor Who. And the X-Files. And Stranger Things. And Westworld. And Stargate. And Red Dwarf. And Futurama. And Battlestar Galactica. And Rebels. And Clone Wars. And Eureka. And Warehouse 13. And Quantum Leap. And Babylon 5. And Farscape. And the Venture Brothers. And Invader Zim. And Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Frack yes. Quality post.

So say we all.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Translation 'Studio Executives' don't like SciFi because it's not a T&A parade and requires people who can actually act and make alternate societies believable. In short intellectual heavy lifting not the display of the plastic surgeons art.

Yet SciFi series done in the 60's still have a large audience. The T&A shows ??? crickets... they are trivia questions at best if remembered at all.

And series like Star Trek broke much social ground the first interracial kiss on TV was on Star Trek.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom