Q4 Earnings Report - Parks and Resorts

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Full report https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q4-fy17-earnings.pdf

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 6% to $4.7 billion, and segment operating income increased 7% to $746 million. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our international operations, partially offset by a decrease at our domestic operations, which were unfavorably impacted by Hurricane Irma. As a result of the hurricane, Walt Disney World Resort was closed for two days, and we canceled three cruise itineraries and shortened two others.

Results at our international operations were due to growth at Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disney Resort. The improvement at Disneyland Paris reflected increases in attendance, guest spending and occupied room nights, partially offset by higher costs, driven by the 25th Anniversary celebration, and a loss from its 50% joint venture interest in Villages Nature. Guest spending growth was primarily due to higher average ticket prices and food and beverage spending. The increase at Shanghai Disney Resort was due to attendance growth and lower marketing costs, partially offset by lower average ticket prices. The decrease in marketing costs reflected costs associated with the grand opening of Shanghai Disney Resort in the prior year.

The decrease in operating income at our domestic operations was driven by lower results at Walt Disney World Resort, partially offset by an increase at our cruise line, growth at Disneyland Resort and higher sales of vacation club units.

Lower results at Walt Disney World Resort were driven by higher costs and fewer occupied room nights, partially offset by growth in guest spending and attendance, although both were negatively impacted by Hurricane Irma. Higher costs were primarily due to increases in labor and employee benefits, depreciation and marketing. Guest spending growth was due to increased food and beverage spending and higher average daily hotel room rates. Available hotel room nights were lower due to refurbishments and conversions to vacation club units.

Growth at our cruise line resulted from higher average ticket prices.

Higher results at Disneyland Resort were due to increases in guest spending and attendance, partially offset by higher costs for new guest offerings and marketing. The increase in guest spending was primarily due to higher average ticket prices.

Rteetz

https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q4-fy17-earnings.pdf

Quote from Bob Iger

“No other entertainment company is better equipped to navigate the ever-evolving media landscape, thanks to our unparalleled collection of brands and franchises and our ability to leverage IP across our entire company. We look forward to launching our first direct-to-consumer streaming service in the new year, and we will continue to invest for the future and take the smart risks required to deliver shareholder value.”

Disney is increasing their parks spending by $1 billion (about 50%).

Iger said they have no need to add to their film slate (regarding Fox rumors).

Star Wars 4th trilogy will be separate from the Skywalker story.

Disney CFO said Cars 3 underperformed in their eyes.

Disney is going to make a big deal out of Mickey's 90th birthday.

The Disney Streaming service will coast substantially less than Netflix.

Disney Parks and Resorts revenues for the 4th quarter increased 6% to $4.7 Billion, segment operating income increased from 7% to $746 million. Operating income growth was due to an increase at the international operations partially offset by domestic parks due to Hurricane Irma. International operations grew due to Shanghai and Paris. Paris had increased in attendance, guest spending, and occupied room nights. Shanghai growth was from from attendance growth and lower marketing costs. Domestic operation losses from WDW were partially offset by DLR, DCL, and DVC sales. Low results at WDW were caused by higher costs, and fewer occupied rooms with the major impact being Irma. Growth at DLR was due to increase in guest spending, and attendance.

brb1006

So does this mean Disney might do something as big for Mickey's 90th Birthday like how huge the 60th Anniversary was back in 1988? Where both WDW and Disneyland threw a 60th Anniversary parade and made a TV Special.
MV5BNzM0NjczYzQtYTJlYy00MjNlLWI5NTMtODlkY2JkZWVmNWY5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU0NzkwMDg@._V1_.jpg

brb1006

More info from a similar post

RobbinsDad

Disney has an on-demand cable subscription movie service that I believe is 6.99/month. That sounds about right for the streaming service.

coolbeans14

If the streaming service is based of the UK version, Disney life, then it will include a lot of content. For example, Disney life has movies, some Disney Channel shows, the shorts, interactive storybooks, audiobooks etc.

Effectively all the Disney content you could ever want for about £5 a month if I remember correctly

Cameron1529

Full report https://ditm-twdc-us.storage.googleapis.com/q4-fy17-earnings.pdf

Parks and Resorts revenues for the quarter increased 6% to $4.7 billion, and segment operating income increased 7% to $746 million. Operating income growth for the quarter was due to an increase at our international operations, partially offset by a decrease at our domestic operations, which were unfavorably impacted by Hurricane Irma. As a result of the hurricane, Walt Disney World Resort was closed for two days, and we canceled three cruise itineraries and shortened two others.

Results at our international operations were due to growth at Disneyland Paris and Shanghai Disney Resort. The improvement at Disneyland Paris reflected increases in attendance, guest spending and occupied room nights, partially offset by higher costs, driven by the 25th Anniversary celebration, and a loss from its 50% joint venture interest in Villages Nature. Guest spending growth was primarily due to higher average ticket prices and food and beverage spending. The increase at Shanghai Disney Resort was due to attendance growth and lower marketing costs, partially offset by lower average ticket prices. The decrease in marketing costs reflected costs associated with the grand opening of Shanghai Disney Resort in the prior year.

The decrease in operating income at our domestic operations was driven by lower results at Walt Disney World Resort, partially offset by an increase at our cruise line, growth at Disneyland Resort and higher sales of vacation club units.

Lower results at Walt Disney World Resort were driven by higher costs and fewer occupied room nights, partially offset by growth in guest spending and attendance, although both were negatively impacted by Hurricane Irma. Higher costs were primarily due to increases in labor and employee benefits, depreciation and marketing. Guest spending growth was due to increased food and beverage spending and higher average daily hotel room rates. Available hotel room nights were lower due to refurbishments and conversions to vacation club units.

Growth at our cruise line resulted from higher average ticket prices.

Higher results at Disneyland Resort were due to increases in guest spending and attendance, partially offset by higher costs for new guest offerings and marketing. The increase in guest spending was primarily due to higher average ticket prices.

Awesome little report, thanks

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not surprised that 'Cars 3' underperformed... in the CFO's eyes. :rolleyes: It was an underwhelming movie, I thought. Entertaining, but it really lacked any heart. But that statement is not surprising in the least.

Today's Disney making a "big deal" for Mickey's 90th is absolutely not the same thing as Mickey's 60th birthday event. I mean, seriously, this company thinks cupcakes are a "big deal" for a celebration.

Seeing that 60th birthday logo brought a HUGE smile to my face! I haven't seen that in years, I wonder if I still have that t-shirt from 1988. :D

disneygeek90

Cars 3 underperformed?? Sorry... with how garbage the second one was, why did they think a 3rd would be that much better? I thought Cars 3 was watchable... but definitely not something I would grab first (or even 7th) to watch in the Pixar lineup.

If the streaming service has the classic Disney channel shows and movies, sign me up.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
I want this new streaming service to have all the classics, from the Alice shorts and early Mickey cartoons to the Silly Symphonies, Mickey Mouse club episodes, the Walt Disney TV series like Walt Disney's Disneyland, documentaries, shows like DuckTales, etc. Disney must have so much in their archives that they could add to this service in addition to all their animated features and movies ... I think that this streaming service could easily surpass Netflix in popularity. Can you imagine being able to binge watch all the animated features from Snow White to Moana and all these Walt Disney anthology series. I would sign up for life.

brb1006

Not surprised that 'Cars 3' underperformed... in the CFO's eyes. :rolleyes: It was an underwhelming movie, I thought. Entertaining, but it really lacked any heart. But that statement is not surprising in the least.

Today's Disney making a "big deal" for Mickey's 90th is absolutely not the same thing as Mickey's 60th birthday event. I mean, seriously, this company thinks cupcakes are a "big deal" for a celebration.

Seeing that 60th birthday logo brought a HUGE smile to my face! I haven't seen that in years, I wonder if I still have that t-shirt from 1988. :D
Disneyland even created a special birthday float for Mickey during his 60th Birthday that in 1988. But because of how shortlived that float is. There's rarely any footage of the float from that year. There's only two videos of it that can be found on Youtube. But here's a recent video of it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
More info from a similar post

Uhhh... what's going on here? You're quoting @Rteetz who just posted that two posts above yours. And why aren't you giving specific attribution?

Hatbox Ghostbuster

“No other entertainment company is better equipped to navigate the ever-evolving media landscape, thanks to our unparalleled collection of brands and franchises and our ability to leverage IP across our entire company. We look forward to launching our first direct-to-consumer streaming service in the new year, and we will continue to invest for the future and take the smart risks required to deliver shareholder value.” - Bob Iger.

My disdain for this man grows each day. This "philosophy" is the direct antithesis to everything Walt stood for.
And yes, before you say anything, I know Walt is dead and the company has been this way for a while, but my gosh.
Why didn't Iger say what he really meant? "Here at Disney, we're not interested pursuing new avenues of creativity and storytelling. We're really only interested in pursuing ideas that are sure to make us money, even if that means rehashing the same tired characters for their third and fourth movies! Hey look! Merchandise! At the end of the day, we here at the Mouse House are beholden to our shareholders. They're the most important members of our company. Their interests always come first, and let's face it, most of our customers are dumb enough to buy whatever we sell them anyways."

BrianLo

The first full quarter in which Pandora is open, and no mention of it doing anything to theme park attendance.

Unfortunate the first time WDW actually invests attendance suffers. Fortunately, we have enough coming to counteract this blip.

At least international parks are finally showing up to play. Shanghai attendance is up year over year and actually broke a profit way ahead of initial estimations. Plus Paris is bouncing back with the 25th.

#ThanksShanghai

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom