Putting the same property in multiple parks?

Pepper's Ghost

It made sense in the 1980s when the theme was the aquatic sciences and you were traveling to the deep research station of SeaBase Alpha.

Not so much when you’re just touring a generic aquarium.

This makes more sense. My first time was in 2000, so I missed when it once made sense. 🤔🤪

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I don't think it's really an issue... The IPs that ARE in multiple parks are very popular IPs. Nemo is a good fit for Living Seas, and Animal Kingdom needs to showcase marine life SOMEHOW without doing another aquarium... Plus, the show is the closest thing you get to at WDW for broadway quality. Disney doesn't have many IPs to offer when it comes to marine stuff (except for Moana... It was just a little late when they rethemed the pavilion.)

Beauty and the Beast's live show is, while dated, still pretty dang popular amongst park guests, and it's not BAD. Just because a bunch of crazy Disney park-goers have seen it a billion times doesn't mean all of the once-in-a-lifetime tourists are gonna skip it. (I don't care for the show, for the record. But kids and families do love it. Check out the Annual Passholder FB pages) Sorry, we don't make up the majority. Also, Be Our Guest is a FANTAASTIC atmosphere of a sit down restaurant. The sing-along, though? I can't back that one up. Also story time with bell is a small chunk of land that was VERY well executed.

The Little Mermaid dark ride was a good addition to MK. Voyage of the Little Mermaid is probably the most dated show on property... But it's not taking up much space. And for the tiny space it DOES occupy, I'd say it's a pretty solid show. Especially for the kiddies.

Frozen has a very well-received show at DHS. Very popular amongst kids, teens, and tweens (it's trending on tiktok). And Frozen Ever After, while it replaced a classic, the classic was in terrible shape, and again, the space it occupies is really such a small chunk of EPCOT. The meet n' greet was done very well too.

Buzz Lightyear SpaceRanger Spin & Toy Story Mania are, shall I say, the "same thing," but they are also very different in their own ways, and that makes each ride its own truly special experience. Toy Story Land was alright, I don't think it needed a WHOLE LAND. But it wasn't executed terribly, tbh. It's a cool land.

So.... As long as it is executed properly, it's not a problem.

UNCgolf

This makes more sense. My first time was in 2000, so I missed when it once made sense. 🤔🤪

I think everything was still there in 2000, although likely not in the best shape. The Living Seas was amazing back in the 80s and 90s; as a young kid I actually believed I was under the ocean in a sea base because the whole experience from the moment you entered the pavilion was designed to make it feel real.

It was the best pavilion at EPCOT in terms of overall cohesion, and one of the best realized things Disney has ever built.

UNCgolf

The Little Mermaid dark ride was a good addition to MK.

So.... As long as it is executed properly, it's not a problem.

Well, the Little Mermaid ride could have been a good addition if it had been executed properly (as you said). Instead we got one of the worst rides Disney has ever built.

In general, I don't disagree with your point -- it's just that they have so many other successful IPs that aren't in use. There are a lot of movies that were massive hits and have nothing in the parks, like the Jungle Book. Aladdin is an even better example, since it's from the same time period as BatB, Little Mermaid, and Lion King and was even more successful than BatB or Little Mermaid.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Just because movie xyz could be made to fit in every park, doesn't mean it should be in every park.

Having the same movie in multiple parks makes those park less distinct from each other. Each WDW park should be a unique experience.

Animaniac93-98

In general, I don't disagree with your point -- it's just that they have so many other successful IPs that aren't in use. There are a lot of movies that were massive hits and have nothing in the parks

Part of the problem with Disney's use of IPs in the park is that they have an intentionally limited pool of them to draw from.

The Disney that would build a replica of the Hyperion airship from Island at the Top of the World just because it looked cool is long gone.

NelleBelle

I wish they would use some of they old IPs in the parks. For example, Jungle Book would do lovely in DAK (Asia) as something. What about Robin Hood in the UK pavilion in Epcot (even just as a M&G mix-up). And enough with the reiterations of party/IP names for rides/shows--drives me nuts and is SO CONFUSING and I've been there million times to know better! 😛

WondersOfLife

Well, the Little Mermaid ride could have been a good addition if it had been executed properly (as you said). Instead we got one of the worst rides Disney has ever built.

I disagree.. just because it was toned down/lacked expectations from (again) us crazy Disney fanatics, doesn’t mean that it’s a bad ride. And I certainly Would never put it on the same level as superstar limo, or stitch’s great escape. It is definitely not one of the worst rides Disney has ever built. I find Myself riding it every time I go To Magic Kingdom, actually.

Is it my favorite? No. Buts it’s enjoyable. And again, I dont think us 20/30 year olds and up are the attraction’s target demographic.

UNCgolf

I disagree.. just because it was toned down/lacked expectations from (again) us crazy Disney fanatics, doesn’t mean that it’s a bad ride. And I certainly Would never put it on the same level as superstar limo, or stitch’s great escape. It is definitely not one of the worst rides Disney has ever built. I find Myself riding it every time I go To Magic Kingdom, actually.

Is it my favorite? No. Buts it’s enjoyable. And again, I dont think us 20/30 year olds and up are the attraction’s target demographic.

I don't think it's as bad as Superstar Limo either (I don't really consider Stitch's Great Escape a ride), but that's just one ride. I think it's pretty comfortably the worst ride at the Magic Kingdom, at least if you don't count generic flat rides. The Winnie the Pooh ride is a huge disappointment as well, but it doesn't have the elaborate queue and show building that really sets up Little Mermaid to be something special.

Would you ride it at the Magic Kingdom if it wasn't almost always a walk-on? I have a hard time believing anyone would wait even 30-45 minutes for that ride.

WondersOfLife

I don't think it's as bad as Superstar Limo either (I don't really consider Stitch's Great Escape a ride), but that's just one ride. I think it's pretty comfortably the worst ride at the Magic Kingdom, at least if you don't count generic flat rides. The Winnie the Pooh ride is a huge disappointment as well, but it doesn't have the elaborate queue and show building that really sets up Little Mermaid to be something special.

Would you ride it at the Magic Kingdom if it wasn't almost always a walk-on? I have a hard time believing anyone would wait even 30-45 minutes for that ride.
Well luckily literally almost ALL of the rides at Magic Kingdom are the best of the best from any theme park. As with all Disney parks. So putting Little Mermaid at the bottom of a ride list at DISNEY doesn't really say much.

When Disney does something to the extent of detail that was Stitch's Great Escape (ride or not it doesn't matter), and it STILL flops with all of that attention, then THAT'S a bad Disney attraction. Little Mermaid has done fine. It's a solid average dark ride. In comparison to other Omnimovers on property, I'd personally rank it as the 2nd best omnimover/similar ride system.

1). Haunted Mansion
2). Little Mermaid
3). Spaceship Earth (until maintenance/the ending is fixed)
4). Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin
5). Peter Pan's Flight
6). Finding Nemo

UNCgolf

Well luckily literally almost ALL of the rides at Magic Kingdom are the best of the best from any theme park. As with all Disney parks. So putting Little Mermaid at the bottom of a ride list at DISNEY doesn't really say much.

When Disney does something to the extent of detail that was Stitch's Great Escape (ride or not it doesn't matter), and it STILL flops with all of that attention, then THAT'S a bad Disney attraction. Little Mermaid has done fine. It's a solid average dark ride. In comparison to other Omnimovers on property, I'd personally rank it as the 2nd best omnimover/similar ride system.

1). Haunted Mansion
2). Little Mermaid
3). Spaceship Earth (until maintenance/the ending is fixed)
4). Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin
5). Peter Pan's Flight
6). Finding Nemo

I actually forgot Buzz Lightyear's Spaceranger Spin even exists. I don't like that ride at all, although I still think it's better than Little Mermaid.

Finding Nemo is definitely right there at the bottom of the list of Disney attractions with Little Mermaid. I do think it's a worse ride than Little Mermaid, but it also had serious constraints that Little Mermaid didn't have (plus part of the problem with Nemo is it helped ruin one of the best things Disney has ever built).

I'm also almost positive Disney considers Little Mermaid a flop. The spent money building that queue with its interactive elements because they thought the ride would have constant long waits; they weren't expecting it to be a walk-on half the time. It really only ever has any kind of line on days where the whole park is packed and EVERY attraction has long lines, and even then it's rare to see it get any longer than an hour. You can't forget it was one of two new rides built as part of the big hyped expansion to Magic Kingdom; there were high expectations both from Disney itself and from guests due to all the advertising etc.

I think it would be easier to accept as a relatively weak offering but something that helps with capacity if it didn't have an E-ticket show building and queue. I think it's a worse ride than Pooh (especially considering it was built from scratch as opposed to fitting it into a preexisting space), but relatively similar overall -- Pooh just doesn't raise expectations the same way.

I'd rank those like this:
1. Spaceship Earth (even with the issues, although I'm sure some of that is due to nostalgia -- I still ride it multiple times a trip, though)
2. Haunted Mansion
3. Peter Pan
4. Buzz Lightyear
5. Little Mermaid
6. Finding Nemo (I think Nemo isn't technically an omnimover, but close enough)

WondersOfLife

The spent money building that queue with its interactive elements because they thought the ride would have constant long waits; they weren't expecting it to be a walk-on half the time. It really only ever has any kind of line on days where the whole park is packed and EVERY attraction has long lines, and even then it's rare to see it get any longer than an hour.

6. Finding Nemo (I think Nemo isn't technically an omnimover, but close enough)

1). If you think an omnimover ride is supposed to have an extremely long, full queue, then I think the conversation is over on that one. I've wait a half hour for the ride on a busy day, and that's impressive for an omnimover. Even when Buzz Lightyear's line is full with "45 minutes" on the sign, it only takes 15 minutes to get on the ride. Heck, even Nemo is usually a walk on on the busiest days. The point of an omnimover is to NOT have long lines. Yeesh.

2). How in the heck is Nemo not an omnimover?

UNCgolf

1). If you think an omnimover ride is supposed to have an extremely long, full queue, then I think the conversation is over on that one. I've wait a half hour for the ride on a busy day, and that's impressive for an omnimover. Even when Buzz Lightyear's line is full with "45 minutes" on the sign, it only takes 15 minutes to get on the ride. Heck, even Nemo is usually a walk on on the busiest days. The point of an omnimover is to NOT have long lines. Yeesh.

2). How in the heck is Nemo not an omnimover?

I didn't say omnimovers in general are supposed to have long queues. I said Disney expected Little Mermaid specifically to have a long queue. If Disney wasn't expecting Little Mermaid to have long waits, why did they build a long, elaborate queue with interactive elements? They just wanted to throw money away for no reason? Also, popular omnimover rides do end up having long queues because so many people want to ride them (and at least partially because of FastPass messing up the way they were designed to operate, which isn't a problem for Little Mermaid because nobody is wasting a FastPass on it) -- see Peter Pan and Haunted Mansion.

As for Nemo, I think it has something to do with the fact that the ride vehicles don't rotate and so it's not technically an omnimover? I feel like I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

FettFan

Yes, but the narrative link between the two is weak at best, non-existent at worst.

The ride’s synopsis: After putting his neurotic father through hell and back in the first movie, Nemo decides that it would be fun to deliberately hide while his father once again has a panic attack, gets lost in a sea of jellyfish, then nearly gets chomped by an anglerfish before using the East Australian Current to get into the Living Seas pavilion.

In short: Nemo is a little b*st*rd and I wouldn’t feel the least bit sorry for him if he wound up on a hook.

WondersOfLife

If Disney wasn't expecting Little Mermaid to have long waits, why did they build a long, elaborate queue with interactive elements? They just wanted to throw money away for no reason?

As for Nemo, I think it has something to do with the fact that the ride vehicles don't rotate and so it's not technically an omnimover? I feel like I read that somewhere, but I'm not sure.

Because the queue is part of the immersion and storytelling? Plus, it’s honestly not that long of a queue.

nemo is an omnimover.

Peter Pan’s line is always so long because the ride capacity is dookie, mixed with the fastpass problem. Haunted mansion’s line gets super long because they have to wait for a pre-show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom