PUSH the Talking Trashcan's last day?

Phil12

No. Easiest way to explain is to use comics as an example. Marvel Comics has the trademark for the name "Captain Marvel". So, they (and official license holders) are the only ones who can title a comic, television series, movie, or something Captain Marvel.

Now, both Marvel and DC have copyrighted characters named Captain Marvel. DC can call their Captain Marvel "Captain Marvel" all they like within the comic or cartoon or whatever. What they cannot do is use that name on the title for any reason. Which is why most things starring DC's Captain Marvel are actually called "Shazam".
I'm sure Gomer Pyle had some influence over that situation.

yoda_5729

I read somewhere that Push is not going anywhere. :cat: Push will remain in the park.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it's been confirmed that at least for the immediate future, unless a contract gets agreed upon, Push is permanently not a part of Walt Disney World entertainment.

You might be remembering a report in the Orlando Sentinel, but that was later proven to be wrong when Disney stopped his performances a day or two after the report.

It has to do with the fact that PUSH is owned by a separate company then Disney, and though they both believed PUSH would be back, at least for the time being he isn't.

Hopefully something can come of the situation in the future, and it isn't dropped cold turkey. It would be a shame if Push wasn't telling jokes again in Tomorrowland, though for the time being he's going to be on extended vacation. 19 years though for an entertainment act at Walt Disney World is a heck of an accomplishment though (PUSH was older then Animal Kingdom).

If there is one thing I have learned from this situation, it's that Disney really doesn't help the entertainment acts it signs to perform. it's very much a fend for yourself type of situation as I see it. And I think several acts would benefit from a bit more publicity then they are given. I can't remember the last time I saw a brochure really spotlight some of the performers. Times Guides exist, but that doesn't really give a great opportunity for consumers to understand what the acts are. Time is money at WDW, and since they know they need to do the rides, many of the performers are in a tough spot to get a crowd. Some of the performers though, (in my opinion at least), are better then some of the attractions, and deserve a bit of a spotlight brought to them.

asianway

Captain Marvel in Marvel comics is actually Called "Mar-vel" in most of new comics.. any idea of why?

as someone mentioned before.. these "news" were actually wrong.
Mar-vell is the Kree name when they are taking about the alien soldier(as opposed to the gal from NOLA)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
tumblr_mbay6hWhDC1rzbuj9o1_r2_500.png

raymusiccity

This whole situation is just a massive pile of mouse droppings!

Sad, but true. So glad our grandsons had a chance to see Push last week:

Three days after Walt Disney World said that PUSH the Talking Trash Can "isn't going anywhere," the resort acknowledged Monday that the popular Magic Kingdom animatronic figure had been removed.

Disney said its contract with Real Simple Ideas LLC, the Orlando product-development company that owns PUSH, expired over the weekend and was not renewed.

Disney would not say why the contract lapsed. But Daniel Deutsch, the inventor of PUSH and co-owner of Real Simple Ideas, said he had some concerns about revised intellectual-property rights provisions that Disney had inserted into the proposed contract renewal.

"As far as I'm concerned, I would love to have PUSH remain and continue entertaining guests," he said.

Built to look like a simple silver-and-blue trash can, PUSH made surprise appearances each day inside the Tomorrowland section of the Magic Kingdom. The robot would wheel around and speak to guests.

Deutsch said Disney paid Real Simple Ideas — which owns the robot and employed the human operator that accompanied him in Disney's theme park — to have PUSH perform seven times a day, seven days a week. He declined to say how much Disney paid for the attraction.

PUSH had been a Tomorrowland staple for 19 years, developing a loyal following among the millions of visitors to the Magic Kingdom who stumbled on one of its performances. Rumors began circulating last week that Disney was preparing to remove the attraction, prompting a firestorm of online protests that included a #SavePush Twitter campaign and a Facebook page that had attracted more than 8,000 "likes" by Monday.

On Friday, Disney said there was "nothing to" rumors that PUSH might be removed. On Monday, it said only that there had been "additional communication" since then and that the contract was allowed to lapse over the weekend.

The company would not elaborate.

"While our contract discussions are confidential, there was additional communication since Friday and we were unable to reach agreement to extend the contract," Disney spokeswoman Andrea Finger said.

jrgarcia@tribune.com or 407-420-5414

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom