Purses in the park.

kasey1988

Original Poster
This is my first trip with friends without any adults. Usually someone has a backpack to keep everything in. Im not interested in a pack lol, or carrying a backpack really. Is a purse reasonable in the park. I will only be carrying my camera, money, tickets, maps, and water. Im more concerned about on the rides is there a place to secure it to take it on with me? What do you ladies find easiest?

tigsmom

Get a drawstring pack (like the Nike ones), they are easy to deal with, can be taken on the rides and don't have a tendency to get left behind like a purse does.

I always carry a purse in the parks. If the ride is rollercoaster-ish there's usually a mesh bag in the vehicle to put it in or I always just put the strap across my chest and just wear it. It's a good idea though to bring a ziplock bag to put your camera and cell phone and wallet in on Splash Mountain, that way if your purse ends up wet, all the important stuff ends up dry.

DivineMadness7

Get a drawstring pack (like the Nike ones), they are easy to deal with, can be taken on the rides and don't have a tendency to get left behind like a purse does.

I agree with this. Or get a small messenger style bag. I found one for about $10 at Target. I guess it depends on the style of purse you're talking about. I'm picturing my small, leather purse that has a short strap on it and I wouldn't want to carry it around all day. I'd rather have something that can go over my shoulder, maybe carried on my hip like a messenger. It's all about personal preference, I suppose.:wave:

Disneykidder

Agree to all of the above. I have used a backpack style purse and a messenger style one that goes around the body. Both are small and have lots of pockets.:)

Raven66

I use my camera case as my purse. I put my ID,snacks, extra batteries and stuff like that in it. The strap goes across my chest.

happymom52003

You know, I hate packs too.
BUT I got so tired of having a purse or any other type of bag over my arm or across my chest, that I bought a black Disney pack from the gift shop at our resort....and let me tell you it is soooo much easier and comfortable than a purse.
My hands and arms are always free, and it is so comfortable that I don't even notice it. I wear it kind of low on my hips, and to the side a bit....so it is not right in the middle of my waistline.
And since it has Mickey on it, I do not mind how it looks. It is actually kind of cute.:D
And even though I try to dress cute most of the time:cool:, comfort ALWAYS comes before fashion while I'm at Disney!

daringstoic

I'd go with a drawstring backpack. I got one at Target that's vinyl-ish and has a pocket inside, which is a lot nicer than the cheap Nike ones. That was a few years ago, though, so I don't know where you'd find something similar. When I go on the coasters, I just loop the straps around my legs, and hold the bag between my feet. I've never had a problem with it. If you don't want a bag like that, I'd definitely go with a messenger style bag. I think you'd be a lot less likely to accidentally leave that in a ride vehicle or have it go flying off the back of a ride than a smaller purse.

figmentisgreat

I always bring a purse...I just have a few guidelines:

1. Make sure the purse is lightweight. you don't want the purse itself to be heavy
2. make sure the purse has a lot of room in it, but can be folded well. Not too many compartments
3. bring at least 2 ziploc bags in case of rain and wet rides.
4. pack light in the mornings - only bring the "bear necessities", haha:ROFLOL:I crack myself up. Seriously though, empty out your wallet, only bring what you need. Don't bring anything you will not need in the parks

I think a canvas style bag works well, but I have used many different kinds of purses

figment3258

I always bring a small purse backpack it zips right up and works great. If the ride does not have a pouch in front i just put the foot through the straps and pull it up to my leg ands a tight grip and works great even on rock n roller coster

Tiggerfanatic

I carry a really small Disney backpack that I got from E-Bay almost 10 years ago. It's actually smaller than the string backpack that DD uses, and I think the regular straps are more comfortable than the strings. I had no problem stowing it in any of the mesh bags, or just putting my foot thru the strap and holding it between my feet.

ELopez

When I was young, I took a similar trip with friends (I think I was around 21). We took a backpack (I know you said you didn't really want to take one), but we shared it. we all put our cameras, etc in it and took turns carrying it. We were all pretty obsessive about making sure we had it when getting off rides.

I think I carried my id & card in my pocket.

Have a great time!!

sweetpee_1993

I just had this discussion with my cousin's wife last weekend. We usually carry a backpack but I think it will be too hot in May for that plus we won't have the kids so we won't have near as much junk to carry around. I've been hunting for a small, cute bag that I can carry as a shoulder-across-the-chest bag but that's been pretty ellusive. So, I've been buying some cute fabrics, got myself a pattern, and have begun making my own. It's cheap and I can make several to match anything I wear. :D

Cole'sMom

I usually use my husband's cargo shorts to carry my things, but, for my usual daily purse I carry a Vera Bradley crossbody bag. I have a 1 1/2 year old and it fits all my essentials but is still relatively small. You can find crossbody bags anywhere, though. I like the freedom of having my arms free and I feel more secure than having a purse sitting on my shoulder. Have a great trip!

Figment82

I always use a drawstring backpack. The only downside is that it can occassionally get hard to find certain items as everything shifts around while you walk. What you could do is bring a purse, but use the drawstring backpack to carry it. That way, you can switch to just the purse if you find that more preferrable, or use the purse to keep everything organized but carry it in the backpack. Purses can become cumbersome when you're running around the parks, so you might find a backpack easier to deal with.

NadieMasK2

Another vote for the drawstring backpack. I have one I bought in World of Disney a few years back, I believe it was $18, and works perfectly. Has a litte mini-wallet built -in for credit cards and park tickets, and is very comfortable to wear.

Sak - nice new avvie!

dove_

When I went for the first time without my family (so it was me + one million of my marching band friends), I knew I'd be running around everywhere and switching groups a whole lot. So I actually sewed up a little bag shortly before leaving, and I still occasionally use it. It had a zipper, was about 6-8 inches long, 4 inches high, and had a very short strap. I wanted to wear it just under my arm so I would always be in charge of it. It had just enough room for the essentials- wallet, phone, camera, any 'lady things' I may need. It could actually hold quite a lot.

ANYWAYS, I found it was a perfect size, and most (if not all) rides have SOMEWHERE you can put a bag, usually a little mesh pocket in front of or next to you. But any ride that doesn't have one, you're usually safe putting your leg through the strap and zipping it up. I was nervous about that at first, but my dad has always either worn sunglasses on a ride or somehow held onto them, and he has never ever lost a pair (on a ride :zipit:). If I recall, Splash Mountain and other water rides don't really have an area for bags, but if your stuff is protected (ziplock baggies?), just shove it between you and your partner, or you and the side, and it'll be fine. I've never lost a bag, and I'm a hardcore rider. :)

KeithVH

Like Cole'sMom, my older daughters prefer sling bags. The wait is distributed a little better than a regular backpack and they cover your whole back (when hot they're uncomfortable).

wvdisneyfamily

My suggestion is get a clear bag. We got a clear backpack and it was the best thing ever. We got through security very quickly and rarely had to dig through it for anything because we could see through the bag to find what we needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom