Puck style MagicBand 2 is official

donsullivan

Premium Member
These are extremely ugly and awkward, but I'd say the versatility makes up for it. Some people simply don't like bracelets.

I don't find them ugly or awkward at all. And I'm not basing that on photos, I'm holding one in my hands as I type this. The rubber of the band itself feels a little more pliable than the previous model and the shape of the sensor portion will likely make them much more comfortable for many people. The area where the sensors are is no longer a flat bar across the top of your wrist but a disk much more like wearing a watch which is likely to make it much more comfortable for most people to wear.

I never wear a band (Orlando local) not because I don't like them but because I know I would always forget them but my Pass is always in my wallet. The possibility of the 'puck' being something that hangs on my keys may increase the likelihood that I have it with me when visiting the parks, vs forgetting it all the time.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

I don't find them ugly or awkward at all. And I'm not basing that on photos, I'm holding one in my hands as I type this. The rubber of the band itself feels a little more pliable than the previous model and the shape of the sensor portion will likely make them much more comfortable for many people. The area where the sensors are is no longer a flat bar across the top of your wrist but a disk much more like wearing a watch which is likely to make it much more comfortable for most people to wear.

I never wear a band (Orlando local) not because I don't like them but because I know I would also forget them but my Pass is always in my wallet. The possibility of the 'puck' being something that hangs on my keys may increase the likelihood that I have it with me when visiting the parks, vs forgetting it all the time.
Good to hear! I really just meant the appearance, but that's of little consequence. Hope to get one soon.

Incomudro

Doesn't all of this add to the possibility of losing one?
Losing the puck itself?
The thing about the Magic Band is that you put it on, and leave it on 'till you go to bed.
Put it back on before you leave your room in the morning, and repeat.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Losing the puck itself?
The thing about the Magic Band is that you put it on, and leave it on 'till you go to bed.

The 'puck' itself is screwed into the band so it's not going anywhere unless you choose to remove it. You can just use it as a more comfortable MagicBand just like you do now.

Incomudro

I've never understood the negativity towards Magicbands. Disneys intentions and the amount of money spent on the project weren't the best but I really prefer having the magicband on my wrist then having to look for the card, plus it makes everything simpler, paying at stores, getting into your room, auto-photo linking

I love the Magicbands.
One thing on my wrist, and my family's wrists.
No room key.
No digging in my pants for my wallet, pulling out a card in the crowd etc.
Wear them in the pool or water park.
My kids can go get whatever I allow them to get, food, drink, souvenir etc. on there own...

Incomudro

The 'puck' itself is screwed into the band so it's not going anywhere unless you choose to remove it. You can just use it as a more comfortable MagicBand just like you do now.
I understand.
I just mean that the idea of it being removable ups the chances of losing one - little kids screwing around with theirs etc. vs the clip original MagicBands.

Luxe

I don't think these look too awful. I will wait until I have one on my wrist before I say for sure whether or not I like how it looks. After reading through this thread, it seems as we wont be able to purchase bands without the ICON. This was the one feature I really wanted.

Its getting too hard to manage all my MagicBands that are linked to my account, and the last time I was in the world they couldn't open my hotel door. My entire family could get in except for me! (It took engineering a full day to get the problem fixed)...If you could manually delete MagicBands from your account that would be hugeee
I'm assuming when purchasing a new band you would take your current active puck and install it into your band of choice. So you essentially have 1 active puck at a time and you plug it into whatever band you like. Although there comes the issue of the multiple colours of puck which will be a problem for some picky people who have to have a colour matched band.

Mad Stitch

I understand.
I just mean that the idea of it being removable ups the chances of losing one - little kids screwing around with theirs etc. vs the clip original MagicBands.
You will need an eyeglass screwdriver to remove the puck. It's not something little kids are going to be able to do themselves.
IMG_2540.jpg

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

Losing the puck itself?

Good point. It could add to the possibility of more getting lost.
However, it also addresses the complaint by some that they didn't want to wear it on their wrist.

Incomudro

You will need an eyeglass screwdriver to remove the puck. It's not something little kids are going to be able to do themselves.
IMG_2540.jpg

Oh, ok - Thank You.
I thought it was something that could be pried out or threaded in.
That scenario didn't make a lot of sense.
This does.

Jon81uk

A random, slightly off-topic question. Has anyone ever lost a family member and had them found by tracking of the MagicBand? Is it accurate enough for that to work?

No, Disney have never said they track in that sense. The most we know they definitely track using long range RFID is what ride you are on so they can link PhotoPass photos to you and to display your name at the exit of Space Mountain and Small World.

They may also use RFID to monitor guest flow in other places but I really don't think they can track a missing child with it.

BigChris77

No, Disney have never said they track in that sense. The most we know they definitely track using long range RFID is what ride you are on so they can link PhotoPass photos to you and to display your name at the exit of Space Mountain and Small World.

They may also use RFID to monitor guest flow in other places but I really don't think they can track a missing child with it.

Gotcha. I was just curious as to a) whether it could do it, and b) if it could, whether Disney would ever admit it....

BEARSHOUSE4

Considering how tiny current electronics can be, and seeing how thick these pucks are, imagine what other tech is in there that we don't even know about. Somewhere, some board member is laughing that they continue to get people to pay them for tracking and to access their own money! People really pay extra for different magic bands just to gain access to YOUR credit card/ room/ etc? All the while, the data is collected, all paid for by the guest!

That being said..... I love the magic band for all its benefits, as long as it's free! And I accept the fact that big brother Mickey is watching......

Last edited:

Sonic Sunglasses

Considering how tiny current electronics can be, and seeing how thick these pucks are, imagine what other tech is in there that we don't even know about. Somewhere, some board member is laughing that they continue to get people to pay them for tracking and to access their own money! People really pay extra for different magic bands just to gain access to YOUR credit card/ room/ etc? All the while, the data is collected, all paid for by the guest!
When one looks at the comparison photos, it's obvious the pucks are slightly thinner than the current MBs. Yes, they are wider, but it's a necessary design consideration when one takes into account that the antenna has to be contained in that space instead of distributed throughout the band as in the current model. It's the same tech, just a different package. By all means, keep your tinfoil hat. But it's not needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom