Public Reaction To Increased Costs & Decreased Value At WDW

Kevin_W

Let me sum it up for you as this has been discussed so often.

2) Price increases are not limited to Disney. They everywhere go up for everything: Sports, movies, vacations, other theme parks, food, etc.

3) Value is relative. I still find Disney a good value.

4) If you don't like it, stop going. You can return when you feel it's good value.

Good points. We have been Ohio State football season-ticket holders for 17-18 years. In the past 4 years alone, prices went up 32% (compared to a 9-10% salary increase). This year prices went up another 8.5% and that was our threshold and we didn't renew. We've debated that past couple years as the experience has declined (longer games due to more timeouts, less "college atmosphere" and more in-stadium advertising, etc.). This put us over the edge.

But, like Disney, as long as someone else buys the seats we left behind it won't change. (@OSU, I think they might be near the end, however. The last couple years even during "standing room only" games like Michigan State, there were a few thousand empty seats.)

POLY LOVER

Let's face it Disney has strectched itself to thin. They can not longer monitor and give the priority attention to the parks like they used to. Those of us who love the place can tell. The only way to get the parks back to Walt quality is to sell them to a company that is not public to take the pressure off of constant increasing profits demands. They can't continue this cycle of expand after 30 years of stagnation. The best message that can be sent is the pressure of competition, and universal is doing that real wel. Universal smells blood in the water. Don't let the attendance numbers fool you because that can turn on a dime. They have to always remember the mouse built the dynasty.

Last edited:

5thGenTexan

I think I am not a typical WDW visitor like many are here. My first visit was in 1985, my second visit was in 1989 I guess (MGM was open) and my third full visit was in 1992 as a high school band trip. In 2013 as part of a DCL cruise we had a choice of a park to visit for a day. It has never been a thought of mine to make an annual visit to WDW and by no means more than once a year. So a 5 - 10 year cooling off period from us isn't even gonna be a blip. :)

That being said, we had a decision for this year and WDW lost. We are headed to Disneyland in June. My 5 year old boy being able to experience RSR before he is too old outweighs anything WDW has to offer at this time. Honestly after that trip we will probably not return to DLR.

The current state of the parks at WDW is a bit of issue for me. For my first trip in 1985 EPCOT Center still had that new car smell. In 1989 MGM was new. All three trips included an open and functioning 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Wonder of Life was open, Horizons was open, World of Motion was open, Journey Into Imagination was open. I might be wrong, but I don't recall anything being close or inoperable during those visits. My experiences lead to expectations that are impossible to deliver.

I sometimes shop for DCL trips, but they seem to get more and more expensive and out of our range. After our DLR trip this summer we may be finished with Disney for awhile. My kids at their young ages have been exposed to more Disney than I could have imagined when I was a kid. They haven't seen the mountains, they haven't seen caverns.... there is a lot they haven't seen I think there might a good amount of value showing them what else there is to see in this country.

Minnesota disney fan

My family makes an annual pilgrimage for a 9 day stay each and every year. The value to product ratio HAD been by far the best experience for our money, BUT this past year we found it more affordable to fly to New York, (3 of us), for Christmas, catch Radio City Christmas, as well as Lion King Broadway, not to mention 4 days of all the sights and sounds of staying in Times Square. We are already pricing out return to Disney this year, but have found that pricing and crowd levels are taking the sparkle off our pixie dust.

oh No Zippity-do-Dad, you have gotten the wrath of Chef Mickey! He knows all and then tells ALL of us the way. it. is.!!!! I'm so glad he straightened you right up about your trip to NYC. Obviously he knows much more than you do about the subject, and your thoughts and experiences don't count! Didn't you know that?
Also, did you document all these "facts", get the other tourists names, all the broadway reviews????? You didn't, why not?
Frankly, I'm getting sick and tired of CM's know it all attitude. Enough already, Chef Mickey!

ran6110

We've watched many parents still drop their kids off at DL/DCA for the day during spring break, summer vacation and holidays. Even with the AP price increases it's still cheaper for working parents than paying for a full day of babysitting.

Last week we watched one woman with 5 or 6 teens in tow walk them all into the park and then she headed for the exit. As we waited for the security line to drag on she was giving them instructions on when she'd be back to pick them up and where to wait for her. What got us listening in was when she made the comment that security line had better hurry up or she'd be late for work!

These are my ideas for DL/DCA (California) but I'm sure a modified version would work for WDW also.

OK, get rid of the 'monthly' payment plan for AP's and that will limit the number of AP's sold to people that have enough money/credit for the full 1 time payment.

Make mornings (or first half of the day) for people staying at DIsney or local hotels (within say 2 or 3 miles) and afternoons for everyone.

Stop cheaper AP holders from visiting on consecutive days, there must be at least 2 days between visits.

Another option would be only allow them in 1 park per day, so if they visit DL on Monday the can go to DCA on Tuesday but would have to wait until Wednesday to re-enter DL. And if they park hop they can't visit either park the next day.

Let the flames begin!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

We've watched many parents still drop their kids off at DL/DCA for the day during spring break, summer vacation and holidays. Even with the AP price increases it's still cheaper for working parents than paying for a full day of babysitting.

Last week we watched one woman with 5 or 6 teens in tow walk them all into the park and then she headed for the exit. As we waited for the security line to drag on she was giving them instructions on when she'd be back to pick them up and where to wait for her. What got us listening in was when she made the comment that security line had better hurry up or she'd be late for work!

These are my ideas for DL/DCA (California) but I'm sure a modified version would work for WDW also.

OK, get rid of the 'monthly' payment plan for AP's and that will limit the number of AP's sold to people that have enough money/credit for the full 1 time payment.

Make mornings (or first half of the day) for people staying at DIsney or local hotels (within say 2 or 3 miles) and afternoons for everyone.

Stop cheaper AP holders from visiting on consecutive days, there must be at least 2 days between visits.

Another option would be only allow them in 1 park per day, so if they visit DL on Monday the can go to DCA on Tuesday but would have to wait until Wednesday to re-enter DL. And if they park hop they can't visit either park the next day.

Let the flames begin!
I won't flame you because I don't have a horse in that race. Basically, I don't care one or the other.

jlsHouston

Let me put it this way. My wife and I went to New Orleans for week and the whole trip cost over $3,000.00. That included air, transportation and food. We stayed in a cheaper hotel two blocks from the French Quarter. About 6 months after that we went to WDW. The whole trip cost just over $2,000.00 (lets say $2500.00 to be fair). That included air, transportation and food. We stayed at a value resort. I think WDW is still a good deal.

I left out that I had 500 points on me Disney CC so the actual cost was under $2000.00. But that doesn't make my point. Also, there is more to do at WDW. But that doesn't make my point either.

LOL I hear ya. Disney is almost always a 10000 dollar hit for me during the summer when we stay for 15 days and then Thanksgiving when we stay for 10. I find myself easily dropping 5000 in Vegas for 3 nights, 5000 in NYC for 4 nights, and driving to NOLA I still blow 2000 on hotel, shopping, spa and eating for 2 nights. I think comparing my Disney trips to the others, the costs are competitive. We are getting free hotel in San Juan this June for a 3 night trip to Puerto Rico, and I expect between air, food, activities and shopping we will spend about $ 1000/night. For me Disney is still good value. When it stops being enjoyable for what I pay, I will quit going.

jlsHouston

1 show on Broadway and overrated Radio City Christmas only last a few hours. And you're complaining about crowds? There are few places more insanely crowded than NYC during Christmas. Certainly, WDW is one of them, but you're not escaping crowds by going to NYC.

In NYC, unless you're constantly going to shows, staying at the Ritz, and eating at Michelin Star restaurants, NYC is just like any other major city. It's mostly crowded, extremely dirty, and too cold.

9 days at Disney > 9 days in NYC.

NYC is a weekend trip.

Ummm NYC is a weekend trip? Did you actually write those words? Were you being sarcastic and I had a blonde moment and missed it?

Sonconato

For what it's worth, we just returned from MK, in which we ate at the Columbia Harbor House this afternoon. We noticed that the prices for most of the offerings went up at least 10% from what it was last week. A regular soda is $3.29 and a large is $3.69. I wouldn't be surprised if this was followed by the ban on outside food soon.

Goofyernmost

LOL I hear ya. Disney is almost always a 10000 dollar hit for me during the summer when we stay for 15 days and then Thanksgiving when we stay for 10. I find myself easily dropping 5000 in Vegas for 3 nights, 5000 in NYC for 4 nights, and driving to NOLA I still blow 2000 on hotel, shopping, spa and eating for 2 nights. I think comparing my Disney trips to the others, the costs are competitive. We are getting free hotel in San Juan this June for a 3 night trip to Puerto Rico, and I expect between air, food, activities and shopping we will spend about $ 1000/night. For me Disney is still good value. When it stops being enjoyable for what I pay, I will quit going.
OK, I guess. Two of us, last fall, went to Europe. Spent time in Paris, (plus Disneyland Paris, The Louvre, Eiffel Tower and more), Venice, Rome, (The Colosseum, St. Peters, The Sistine Chapel, Trevi Fountain, The Roman Forum, etc.) and Pompeii. That was the first two weeks. The second two weeks we spent on a Trans-Atlantic cruise on Celebrity Lines. We visited Florence, Pisa, did wine tasting in the Tuscany area, Other ports were Provence, France; Barcelona, Spain; Palma de Mallorca; Spain and Tenerife, Canary Islands. Then another week actually crossing the Atlantic ending in Fort Lauderdale with a side trip to the Everglades before jumping on a plane for home. Between the two of us we spent about $8500.00 total including all transportation, admissions, lodging, meals and souvenirs. I think that trumps 15 days ($10,000.00) at Disney anytime, and I love Disney! That's $285.00 per day (30 days) and much more memorable. The world holds so many "real" adventures that we seem to overlook.

jensenrick

Let the flames begin!

I HATE every one of those ideas, each one a little more than the one before it.

BigRedDad

My solution to this is to go less often. Disney is not cheap no matter what time of season, where you stay, or what you do. Because of this we are no longer going once a year as we have in the past. Yes, we have found how to do Disney cheaper, but there are things that are unavoidable like park tickets.

I do think when all of the new attractions are complete, Disney will be more in line with what we were accustomed to. However, that is 2-3 years down the road.

jensenrick

Really, no reason or critique just hate. How about offering alternatives?

You need a critique of these ideas? How about questions.
1) Why are you switching out one payment plan (monthly) for another? (credit card) That keeps out WHO? And Why do you want them out?
2) Why do you want to deprive me, a loyal passholder (or anyone for that matter) of enjoying mornings at DW? for What reason?
3) Now I can't go on consecutive days? Are you kidding??! WHY???!
4) park hopping where you can't go to other parks- because WHY? and also HUH?

Then we get to "offering alternatives"- to What? I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with any of these ideas (they certainly would NOT create an impression that value is increasing) so I don't know what an alternative to them would be.

Although I do have an Alternative that would be on topic- to help perception that value is increasing along with costs =
1) create new attractions and shows!
2) Offer new live entertainment to replace the ones taken away!
3) Create special events that have more than just cupcakes!

Just a few crazy ideas off the top of my head.

ran6110

You need a critique of these ideas? How about questions.
1) Why are you switching out one payment plan (monthly) for another? (credit card) That keeps out WHO? And Why do you want them out?
2) Why do you want to deprive me, a loyal passholder (or anyone for that matter) of enjoying mornings at DW? for What reason?
3) Now I can't go on consecutive days? Are you kidding??! WHY???!
4) park hopping where you can't go to other parks- because WHY? and also HUH?

Then we get to "offering alternatives"- to What? I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish with any of these ideas (they certainly would NOT create an impression that value is increasing) so I don't know what an alternative to them would be.

Although I do have an Alternative that would be on topic- to help perception that value is increasing along with costs =
1) create new attractions and shows!
2) Offer new live entertainment to replace the ones taken away!
3) Create special events that have more than just cupcakes!

Just a few crazy ideas off the top of my head.

To me cutting back on the crowds would increase the value. It's been said time and time again the AP holders don't buy enough of the 'Disney' stuff or food so let's clear out some of the crowd and make the trip more enjoyable for those that do. Maybe then we wouldn't have price increases as often.

One of the problems with WDW and DL is the AP holders come in to the parks and act like they are entitled to some kind of special treatment which isn't true. Ask most CM's when not on duty and let them tell you about some of the AP holder stories.

I have modified my items to include all AP's and since I have a Premier Passport ( https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/premier-passport/) so it would hurt me also.

jensenrick

To me cutting back on the crowds would increase the value. It's been said time and time again the AP holders don't buy enough of the 'Disney' stuff or food so let's clear out some of the crowd and make the trip more enjoyable for those that do. Maybe then we wouldn't have price increases as often.

One of the problems with WDW and DL is the AP holders come in to the parks and act like they are entitled to some kind of special treatment which isn't true. Ask most CM's when not on duty and let them tell you about some of the AP holder stories.

I have modified my items to include all AP's and since I have a Premier Passport ( https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passes/premier-passport/) so it would hurt me also.

Okay, I kinda get what you are saying- it would be nice if there were less crowds.
But removing times that AP holders can go does not increase value for anyone, it only decreases how many people want to buy an AP. If you really want to just shave off a percentage of the crowds- raise prices again. That takes some of them out for sure.

As for AP holders being entitled to special treatment (and AP holders are not alone in that), I say- so what? That doesn't affect the crowds or how much value any particular ticket holder is getting for their money.

parkhopper1213

I think many people on this forum, and in general, realize that, to some degree, there has been an ongoing trend at WDW of escalating prices, but at the same time, a decrease in the value and quality of things at WDW. People are paying more to come to parks with empty buildings, parks that are not as clean as they once were, parks where new attractions do not have the same quality as the classic attractions-yet attendance continues to set records, and the $ keep rolling in to the pockets of Disney shareholders. What would be the clearest way to send a message to Mr. Iger and his cronies? Less money in their pockets. How is this accomplished? Less people at the parks. For regular visitors who notice the problems at WDW, it is easy to get fed up and stop going to WDW. For the occasional visitor, it would be harder to do this, as they have not had their "fill" of WDW yet. My question is to the occasional visitors & dyed in the wool pixie- dusters - would you stop coming to WDW for 5-10 years to try to force Disney into improvements?
I've made 21 trips to Disney over 10 years. Each year I pay more and get less. I don't think Disney would miss me if I stopped coming, but I would miss them and they know that. We try to find ways to economize to make it affordable. We might share meals or buy fewer items in the stores.

photomatt

Nothing will change unless the economy takes a dive. Absent that, people will still throw money at Disney regardless of how bad it gets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom