Public Reaction To Increased Costs & Decreased Value At WDW

Dad 2 M & M

And why are people still comparing Disney to other companies, didn't Disney used to stake it's name on being an innovator?
Most of the comparison is to other experiences where our peeps are using disposable income. In most peeps minds, it has to be "relative" .... Disney used to bang the innovator drum, and sang "Guest Experience" as well....

We dancin to the MNSSHP again this year? Even if prices jump? Not sure what our threshold is, but we are planning on going and will attend MVMCP too....

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I definitely think that Disney has been going a little overboard on their price increases and fees and things lately. HOWEVER, I'm ALSO of the mind that there will also be that crowd that will ALWAYS find something to complain about when it comes to prices. For me, I'm a DVC member and some people look at me like I'm crazy for going as often as I do but when they see the prices for rooms that I stay in about 24 days a year they start to understand that I actually do get a great value out of my membership. A DVC agent told me the other day that the average family of 4 spends $7,400 on a single trip! That's a TON!

copcarguyp71

Let me put it this way. My wife and I went to New Orleans for week and the whole trip cost over $3,000.00. That included air, transportation and food. We stayed in a cheaper hotel two blocks from the French Quarter. About 6 months after that we went to WDW. The whole trip cost just over $2,000.00 (lets say $2500.00 to be fair). That included air, transportation and food. We stayed at a value resort. I think WDW is still a good deal.

I left out that I had 500 points on me Disney CC so the actual cost was under $2000.00. But that doesn't make my point. Also, there is more to do at WDW. But that doesn't make my point either.

A DVC agent told me the other day that the average family of 4 spends $7,400 on a single trip! That's a TON!

I think both are at different ends of the spectrum. IMO a reasonable expectation for a full week at disney with eastcoast airfare, meals, sundries and chachkies with a family of three would be $5500 (at least that is what it cost us in 2013). For $1000-$1500 less we went to Aruba two years ago and Grenada over Thanksgiving. AND...we did not have to pre-plan every move every minute of every day and where we wanted to be 180 days ahead of time.There were also no empty unused spaces on any snorkeling tour or rainforrest excursion that we paid full price for. Oh yeah and nobody told us to leave the rainforrest tour that we paid to get into only to tell us to pay to come back in to see the "special monkey show" with "free" bananas.

Last edited:

Chef Mickey

It's not the raising of prices that's drawing ire from people, it's the RATE of the increases that's the problem. Sure, lots of other experiences cost more than they used to, but not at the rate that WDW does. And not all of those other experiences throw out as many CUTS in offerings while raising their prices, either. And why are people still comparing Disney to other companies, didn't Disney used to stake it's name on being an innovator?
Care to give a few examples? What is the rate Disney has made increases? Since you seem to know the figures, what are the rates of increase for other companies? What is Universal vs Disney? Not saying Disney will be the "most" reasonable, but let me give you a few examples.

My local baseball team just went up 30% on hot dogs, Coke, and 25% on beer versus last year's prices.

My car + home insurance just went up 14% y/y and my property taxes increased the maximum 10% y/y.

The ground turkey I buy went up $1 (20%) and decreased the amount from 20oz to 16oz. (effectively a ~30% increase in price).

It's $100 more per night to stay at the Ritz in Grand Cayman vs last year, same exact days of the year...a 20% increase y/y.

Last I checked, Universal price increases pretty much as frequently. I haven't actually looked at the numbers, but I'd be interested to see how different they really are.

Also, the "value days" at Disney didn't even increase y/y.

Last edited:

draybook

Care to give a few examples? What is the rate Disney has made increases? Since you seem to know the figures, what are the rates of increase for other companies? What is Universal vs Disney? Not saying Disney will be the "most" reasonable, but let me give you a few examples.

My local baseball team just went up 30% on hot dogs, Coke, and 25% on beer versus last year's prices.

My car + home insurance just went up 14% y/y and my property taxes increased the maximum 10% y/y.

The ground turkey I buy went up $1 (20%) and decreased the amount from 20oz to 16oz. (effectively a ~30% increase in price).

It's $100 more per night to stay at the Ritz in Grand Cayman vs last year, same exact days of the year...a 20% increase y/y.

Last I checked, Universal price increases pretty much as frequently. I haven't actually looked at the numbers, but I'd be interested to see how different they really are.

Also, the "value days" at Disney didn't even increase y/y.

I don't "know the figures" off hand, but I'll try to give them a look after Fear the Walking Dead is over.

And the difference between Universal and Disney is that Universal isn't cutting offerings and they are adding quality additions to the parks.

Chef Mickey

I don't "know the figures" off hand, but I'll try to give them a look after Fear the Walking Dead is over.

And the difference between Universal and Disney is that Universal isn't cutting offerings and they are adding quality additions to the parks.
No, you said people had a problem with the rate and Disney's rate of increase is higher than normal. If you think it's because you aren't getting the value, then that's subjective and your prerogative.

I'm just saying, don't come in here saying that the rate Disney increases prices is somehow totally out of whack and they are out on an island of price increasing on their own when you don't even have the facts.

You're just pawning off a jaded opinion as fact and I don't even think it's correct.

I stand by my statement. Prices go up everywhere, particularly any vacation destination and theme parks not limited to Disney. Universal might be a better value TO YOU, but that's still your opinion and not what you said.

draybook

No, you said people had a problem with the rate and Disney's rate of increase is higher than normal. If you think it's because you aren't getting the value, then that's subjective and your prerogative.

I'm just saying, don't come in here saying that the rate Disney increases prices is somehow totally out of whack and they are out on an island of price increasing on their own when you don't even have the facts.

You're just pawning off a jaded opinion as fact and I don't even think it's correct.

I stand by my statement. Prices go up everywhere, particularly any vacation destination and theme parks not limited to Disney. Universal might be a better value TO YOU, but that's still your opinion and not what you said.

I'm not sure why you keep saying that I think Universal is a better value. I do realize that you get your undies in a knot whenever someone questions your beloved Disney. Get over it.

Facts are facts. Disney is making big cuts while throwing out money grab ideas. Comcast is adding rides and attractions while raising their prices. That's not my opinion, those are concrete facts.

If you don't believe me then take off your Pixie glasses and check these very boards. Plenty of us realize that the "value" is diminishing. That's doesn't mean that we don't love Disney, we just accept the truth.

Like I said, if you want numbers then you'll have to wait. I'm watching this show with the Mrs. and I don't take orders, especially on the Internet.

Chef Mickey

I'm not sure why you keep saying that I think Universal is a better value. I do realize that you get your undies in a knot whenever someone questions your beloved Disney. Get over it.

Facts are facts. Disney is making big cuts while throwing out money grab ideas. Comcast is adding rides and attractions while raising their prices. That's not my opinion, those are concrete facts.

If you don't believe me then take off your Pixie glasses and check these very boards. Plenty of us realize that the "value" is diminishing. That's doesn't mean that we don't love Disney, we just accept the truth.

Like I said, if you want numbers then you'll have to wait. I'm watching this show with the Mrs. and I don't take orders, especially on the Internet.
All those facts are fine...but we still don't have the facts on how Disney's increase compares with other industries.

If you're going to say people are upset at the rate in which Disney is raising prices (as if it's more than others), you should know the rate, lol.

Don't care if you look it up or not...disappointing first episode of FTWD.

Last edited:

draybook

All those facts are fine...but we still don't have the facts on how Disney's increase compares with other industries.

If you're going to say people are upset at the rate in which Disney is raising prices (as if it's more than others), you should know the rate, lol.

Don't care if you look it up or not...disappointing first episode of FTWD.

I don't need to know the rate to know that people are upset about it. I need simple reading comprehension to see that they are upset. Maybe you should try it? Simply scan over the threads about Disney's rising cost and cutbacks and use your eyeballs. By the way, typing lol after your sentence doesn't make it funny.

Chef Mickey

I don't need to know the rate to km ow that people are upset about it. I need simple reading comprehension to see that they are upset. Maybe you should try it? Simply scan over the threads about Disney's rising cost and cutbacks and use your eyeballs.
That doesn't make it reality...

Plus, reading threads on a Disney board would probably make them a little slanted toward prices at Disney only.

graphite1326

I think both are at different ends of the spectrum. IMO a reasonable expectation for a full week at disney with eastcoast airfare, meals, sundries and chachkies with a family of three would be $5500. For $1000-$1500 less we went to Aruba two years ago and Grenada over Thanksgiving. AND...we did not have to pre-plan every move every minute of every day and where we wanted to be 180 days ahead of time.There were also no empty unused spaces on any snorkeling tour or rainforrest excursion that we paid full price for. Oh yeah and nobody told us to leave the rainforrest tour that we paid to get into only to tell us to pay to come back in to see the "special monkey show" with "free" bananas.
I used to take my two children to WDW. Never spent $5500.00. My post referred to actual trips not "reasonable expectations".

copcarguyp71

"reasonable expectations" not being a made up number but rather a real world fact of what we spent for moderate resorts in a real world scenario. Sorry if that confused you. People vacation differently I suppose. We go on vacation once a year and it is the only time I get to check out of my business and be theirs for 100% of the time so we tend to not skimp on things. I am sure it can be had for less especially if one wants to stay offsite but I think this discussion is more based on personal feelings of ROI for the vacation dollar and not I did this and you did that. All I did was use your instance as one end of the spectrum and then the other one for the high end...no need for passive aggressive hurt feelings;)

FYI.the lesser number of what we spent in the caribbean was at boutique type resorts..

disneyflush

Don't care if you look it up or not...disappointing first episode of FTWD.[/QUO

This statement is ridiculous and demonstrates a completely inability to do anything but gaslight. A more apt argument would be:

If you're going to say people are upset at the rate in which Disney is raising prices, you should STATE who the specific people are, lol.

The names of the people would be more relevant to validating this statement than a percentage, do you see why?

People have no need to cite references when posting their opinions. There are no tally boards in WDWMagic corporate offices keeping track of who won the most thread arguments.

Chef Mickey

This statement is ridiculous and demonstrates a completely inability to do anything but gaslight. A more apt argument would be:

If you're going to say people are upset at the rate in which Disney is raising prices, you should STATE who the specific people are, lol.

The names of the people would be more relevant to validating this statement than a percentage, do you see why?

People have no need to cite references when posting their opinions. There are no tally boards in WDWMagic corporate offices keeping track of who won the most thread arguments.
Sorry, but if you accuse Disney of raising prices more quickly, you should know if that's even true.

Raineman

Original Poster
Konor has spoken! I guess we have no choice but to move along. :bored::eek:
Yup. From now on, I pledge to check all 59,000 previous threads before creating a new one. I realize that all of my thoughts are completely unoriginal. I am sorry that I have incurred the wrath of Konor, and seek his forgiveness for my wrongdoings. Everyone else would be well advised to do the same.

Zippity-do-DAD

My family makes an annual pilgrimage for a 9 day stay each and every year. The value to product ratio HAD been by far the best experience for our money, BUT this past year we found it more affordable to fly to New York, (3 of us), for Christmas, catch Radio City Christmas, as well as Lion King Broadway, not to mention 4 days of all the sights and sounds of staying in Times Square. We are already pricing out return to Disney this year, but have found that pricing and crowd levels are taking the sparkle off our pixie dust.

Chef Mickey

My family makes an annual pilgrimage for a 9 day stay each and every year. The value to product ratio HAD been by far the best experience for our money, BUT this past year we found it more affordable to fly to New York, (3 of us), for Christmas, catch Radio City Christmas, as well as Lion King Broadway, not to mention 4 days of all the sights and sounds of staying in Times Square. We are already pricing out return to Disney this year, but have found that pricing and crowd levels are taking the sparkle off our pixie dust.
1 show on Broadway and overrated Radio City Christmas only last a few hours. And you're complaining about crowds? There are few places more insanely crowded than NYC during Christmas. Certainly, WDW is one of them, but you're not escaping crowds by going to NYC.

In NYC, unless you're constantly going to shows, staying at the Ritz, and eating at Michelin Star restaurants, NYC is just like any other major city. It's mostly crowded, extremely dirty, and too cold.

9 days at Disney > 9 days in NYC.

NYC is a weekend trip.

palmickey420

I can only assume the reports are correct that Shanghai is bleeding the rest of the parks dry.

I can vouch for that. Because of the burden of that park they are laying off left and right and cutting down on hours. I work part time at TSMM and I used to be scheduled my 3 day 8 hrs each. And we used to have positions only because we had too many cast members on hand. Now I'm lucky if I get scheduled at all

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom